Need help deciding which subs to keep/let go!! Addiction problem !!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really hope it's okay for me to post this separately, I'm kinda new to this site :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm starting to wish I never got started with these monthly subscriptions. I feel like I need therapy. My mom looks at me like I'm crazy when she sees me get excited over all these boxes. She's always like "why don't you save all that money you're wasting on subscriptions and go to the mall." Sometimes I feel like she's right. I'm obsessed with Free People clothing, if I stopped with these subscription's I could totally afford another gem to my wardrobe here and there. But then I remember why I love these subscriptions, I am a little kid at heart and I love the feeling of not knowing what I'm going to get like I'm receiving endless birthday presents. It's also a plus that I haven't really had to buy makeup since I've started with these. Anyway, I have a major dilemma. When I started out with these subs I decided (as an indecisive person) to subscribe to as many as I wanted just to test them out and find out which ones I love. 

After A LOT of thought, I ended up with:

- Birchbox

- Eco Emi 

- Glossybox (already had the 6 month)

I will seriously never cancel Eco-Emi or Birchbox, so those 2 were a given. Then I started thinking to myself and justifying, I'm young, I don't have many bills to pay at this time, why not look at this like a bill and just splurge on $100/month. When I see it in the bank I'll just pretend its a phone bill or something (Okay, I have a serious problem).

Now I'm considering resubbing/trying out to:

- Kara's Way

- Goodebox

- Myglam

- for the makers (love crafts, really want to tryyy!)

- indie gift box

- conscious box

- sample society

- green grab bag

****If anyone out there can give me a really really convincing sub-par reason not to subscribe to one of the above, please tell me!!!

As you can tell, I'm slowly trying to lead a more organic/natural lifestyle ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

To be honest, I wouldn't subscribe to more of them. Do you have a budget?

I started splurging on boxes back in September and it got bad in February. If you think about that $100 a month, that's 1k in a year that you've spent on samples. Which is a lot.

It's probably better to save up the money and just go to Sephora, or the mall and buy something there instead, imho.

I'm in the process of culling down my boxes.

At one point I had two Birchboxes, Two Julep Maven boxes, MyGlam, Glossybox and Sample Society. That's about $100 a month right there and I can tell you that I don't feel like all the stuff I got each month was worth $100. I got a lot of repeats and a lot of stuff that's redundant. I would have been better off just saving up and getting something else.

I also went crazy and bought 5 LBBs, which are $50 each. So I spent like, $500 last month on stuff I don't even need. It was really stupid of me.

So now I cancelled one Birchbox, one Maven, my sample society and I'm going to cancel my Glossybox, but they charged me for next month already so I can't do that yet. I also cancelled all my LBB subs, I had 3 accounts on there at one point. Again, totally embarrassing and ridiculous. Then I'll have Birchbox, Maven and MyGlam. Even then, as much as I love Maven, I think I'm going to start skipping it every month instead because $20 is a lot of money a month.

The time to save up money is when you are young and I wish I had realized that. I pissed away the money I made working on nothing and it sucks. I'm 30 years old with no savings at all because of how I mismanaged money and I'm STILL struggling and now I'm buckling down starting this month so I can pay off my debt and stop amassing a bunch of stuff. So don't do that! If you can put money into savings and still get your monthly boxes, then that's cool. But if you are using money you could sock away into savings on that stuff, I would say, look at the bigger picture. Build up your savings while you can.

wow that was amazing advice. I'm 21 with plans of going to medical school. I have been dating my boyfriend for over 4 years and at this point we have talked a lot about getting married and moving in together right before I go to medical school. I just got a job at Anthropologie and he works full-time. With that being said, we have both been trying to put aside as much money as possible, so when the time comes, we aren't completely blind-sighted. I think you are completely right. The only justification I have for any of these subs are the natural/organic ones. I am trying to lead a natural lifestyle, and I have actually learned a lot about products through those subscriptions. The rest of them are just guilty pleasures 

I 100% agree CaliMel. I think you should keep the boxes you really love but I wouldn't subscribe to any more. I think having 2 or 3 (depending on price) is perfectly fine because you don't want to completely deprive yourself of joy. I would suggest that you total the amount you spend on subs each month and then put double that number in savings each month as well...if you can't then you probably have too much money going out and you should cut some subs out of your life.

Originally Posted by Lotus Luxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wow that was amazing advice. I'm 21 with plans of going to medical school. I have been dating my boyfriend for over 4 years and at this point we have talked a lot about getting married and moving in together right before I go to medical school. I just got a job at Anthropologie and he works full-time. With that being said, we have both been trying to put aside as much money as possible, so when the time comes, we aren't completely blind-sighted. I think you are completely right. The only justification I have for any of these subs are the natural/organic ones. I am trying to lead a natural lifestyle, and I have actually learned a lot about products through those subscriptions. The rest of them are just guilty pleasures 
I'm in my 2nd yr of med school now, and I really enjoy my subs.  After summer break, I will NOT have time to go to the mall or browse around Sephora, so my subs are going to nice to get in the mail.  I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth, especially with BB. 

But it is good advice to not go overboard.  If you were going to add another one, I'd suggest Goodebox since you want to try more natural/organic products.  I know I wouldn't have time to go searching around for all these companies since they aren't as well known as the mainstream ones.  Goodebox has had some really interesting products, and their customer service is excellent.

Good luck with your plans!

I think that is wayyyy too many subs! I started out with Julep because it was only a penny to start, I still have it but I justify it by saying I can skip (which I do about every other month) so thats $10 a month with a box every other month. I also HAD glossybox but cancelled because I wasn't really impressed. I just have BB that comes every month now, it makes it more special when you get it when you don't get it as often and honestly with the extra money I have been able to spend more at sephora on full sized items. I don't know what some girls do with all those samples they are getting, they can't be using them all that fast. I still have samples from last month from GB and BB and now I got more BB samples lol. I feel like I will never use all this perfume until I saw a youtube video of a girl who put hers in lotion and used it as scented lotion, so now I do that. Anyway what I do usually is I set myself a limit for the month, I add up how much I will make on the next pay period to my total (so like 1,000 and next pay makes it 1500) and tell myself I will only spend until I get to 1300 until the next pay period. It works for me. I am saving money also, I am in nursing school and my fiance is in medical school and we are saving for our future (we are only 19)! anyway good luck to you and hope I helped! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also have the same problem with the different monthly subscriptions. I currently subscribe to 8 different ones and since joining the forum today I have found even more subscriptions...lol  I understand the feeling you describe about the subscriptions being like endless gifts.  

Eco Emi & Birchbox are also my favorites. I would stick with just those two. I plan on letting some of my subs go once it is time for renewal.

I like to deathmatch my subs:  Okay, Eco-Emi vs. Conscious Box.  There can be only one.  Birchbox vs. Sample Society.  Same thing.  Then the winners of those rounds go up against each other.  I find it easier to cut down when I use this method rather than looking at a list of all of my subs and trying to cross half of them off.  The process is a little different, but the end result is the same.  Of course, I still have about eight subs, but I'm still in the trial phases on about half of them (the preparation for the culling) and am in the process of canceling one of them.  

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like to deathmatch my subs:  Okay, Eco-Emi vs. Conscious Box.  There can be only one.  Birchbox vs. Sample Society.  Same thing.  Then the winners of those rounds go up against each other.  I find it easier to cut down when I use this method rather than looking at a list of all of my subs and trying to cross half of them off.  The process is a little different, but the end result is the same.  Of course, I still have about eight subs, but I'm still in the trial phases on about half of them (the preparation for the culling) and am in the process of canceling one of them.  
Keep Conscious Box because Eco-Emi has sent out expired food products in the past and refused to replace the expired products (even going so far as saying it's still okay to eat). Keep Birchbox because many of items in Sample Society has been in BB or will be in BB plus it's $5 less AND you get BB points which you can save and use to score free products while with Sample Society the only "perk" is a $15 off $50 promo code meaning you STILL have to spend $35 OOP!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Keep Conscious Box because Eco-Emi has sent out expired food products in the past and refused to replace the expired products (even going so far as saying it's still okay to eat). Keep Birchbox because many of items in Sample Society has been in BB or will be in BB plus it's $5 less AND you get BB points which you can save and use to score free products while with Sample Society the only "perk" is a $15 off $50 promo code meaning you STILL have to spend $35 OOP!
See I would have to say keep Sample Society. Many of the items in this month Birchbox have been in previous Sample Society boxes and the Sample Society samples were twice the size. I also really like the subscription to Allure (which I didn't think I would enjoy). Beauty Bar is also offerring reward points now as well.  I suppose you have to just decide what is more important to you the actual samples or the rewards program. Having said that I have both and would drop my Conscious Box before dropping either Sample Society or Birchbox. Conscious Box isn't consistent enough for me.

At one point, I was spending around $150/month on sample boxes. It was disgusting and ridiculous and I'm ashamed to admit it (There was a time I was getting 2 birchboxes, 2 beauty army boxes, julep, myglam, the lookbag, beautybox 5, and I can't even remember what else I was subbed to at that time). I'm now subscribed only to birchbox and julep, and my birchbox is annual and I'm canceling Julep after I get my last free month. I know these boxes are fun, but its true that they are addicting. When I look at my shelves upon shelves of beauty SAMPLES, I just want to cry and get my money back. One box is plenty for me, and the easiest way for me to cut back was just to see it all piling up (and my bf called me a hoarder). It had to stop. I think everyone eventually gets to this point, and how fast you get there depends on how many you subscribe to at a time. 

I have cut down my subs considerably, and I'm letting myself have one from each category: Little Black Bag for accessories, Birchbox/Glossybox (still deciding between the two, but I think I'll be going with Glossybox once the issues are sorted out) for beauty, and Cravebox for lifestyle/random/variety.

It's a fair amount of money for me, BUT, I live in a small town with no place to shop, my friends live far away, and I do nothing but work...so this is all of my fun/entertainment/shopping budget. I do need to stop opening multiple LBBs a month and skip a month sometimes, as well, though.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have cut down my subs considerably, and I'm letting myself have one from each category: Little Black Bag for accessories, Birchbox/Glossybox (still deciding between the two, but I think I'll be going with Glossybox once the issues are sorted out) for beauty, and Cravebox for lifestyle/random/variety.

It's a fair amount of money for me, BUT, I live in a small town with no place to shop, my friends live far away, and I do nothing but work...so this is all of my fun/entertainment/shopping budget. I do need to stop opening multiple LBBs a month and skip a month sometimes, as well, though.
I think you've got it down pretty good, honestly.

For me, Birchbox isn't goin' anywhere any time soon; neither is Julep (since I can skip a month with that one). I HAVE gotten addicted to having at least one "goodie box" coming in every month--if it weren't a sub, it would be some ridiculous order from sephora or bloom or ulta. Now, yes, I do try other ones from time to time (a treat, honestly), but I don't see myself ever getting mental about it again and over-subbing or feeling the need to join every sub around (which I think we all go through from time to time).

It seriously is beyond comforting to know that there are many others out there who have gone through this. For a while I thought that there was seriously something wrong with me because many of my friends don't even know about these sub programs. In the week that I posted this I really stopped to think about my spendings and I have become comfortable with my decision to only keep birchbox and eco-emi. I have to admit, I am a bit tempted to resub to myglam, but I've been strong about it thus far hahah. Anyway, thank you all for your advice and comfort!!! I truly appreciate it! It's also nice to read that there are others out there pursuing careers in medicine and healthcare! Good luck to you all in your future endeavors! 

Originally Posted by serendipity720 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that is wayyyy too many subs! I started out with Julep because it was only a penny to start, I still have it but I justify it by saying I can skip (which I do about every other month) so thats $10 a month with a box every other month. I also HAD glossybox but cancelled because I wasn't really impressed. I just have BB that comes every month now, it makes it more special when you get it when you don't get it as often and honestly with the extra money I have been able to spend more at sephora on full sized items. I don't know what some girls do with all those samples they are getting, they can't be using them all that fast. I still have samples from last month from GB and BB and now I got more BB samples lol. I feel like I will never use all this perfume until I saw a youtube video of a girl who put hers in lotion and used it as scented lotion, so now I do that. Anyway what I do usually is I set myself a limit for the month, I add up how much I will make on the next pay period to my total (so like 1,000 and next pay makes it 1500) and tell myself I will only spend until I get to 1300 until the next pay period. It works for me. I am saving money also, I am in nursing school and my fiance is in medical school and we are saving for our future (we are only 19)! anyway good luck to you and hope I helped! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
If you don't mind me asking, how are you both already finished with your undergraduate studies and onto med school/nursing school? That's truly amazing!!!! 

Hello :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sorry if the question have been asked before but , I'm looking for a nice , not too expensive box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have beauty army and I like it but looking for a second one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I live in France and our boxes are Bad !! The only one kind of surviving is Glossybox ... the others one are going bankrupt or are buy by glossybox !

So if anyone can help me find a new box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks in advance :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

(if the message don"t belong here i'm sorry and just delete it )

Originally Posted by Lotus Luxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really hope it's okay for me to post this separately, I'm kinda new to this site :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm starting to wish I never got started with these monthly subscriptions. I feel like I need therapy. My mom looks at me like I'm crazy when she sees me get excited over all these boxes. She's always like "why don't you save all that money you're wasting on subscriptions and go to the mall." Sometimes I feel like she's right. I'm obsessed with Free People clothing, if I stopped with these subscription's I could totally afford another gem to my wardrobe here and there. But then I remember why I love these subscriptions, I am a little kid at heart and I love the feeling of not knowing what I'm going to get like I'm receiving endless birthday presents. It's also a plus that I haven't really had to buy makeup since I've started with these. Anyway, I have a major dilemma. When I started out with these subs I decided (as an indecisive person) to subscribe to as many as I wanted just to test them out and find out which ones I love. 

After A LOT of thought, I ended up with:

- Birchbox

- Eco Emi 

- Glossybox (already had the 6 month)

I will seriously never cancel Eco-Emi or Birchbox, so those 2 were a given. Then I started thinking to myself and justifying, I'm young, I don't have many bills to pay at this time, why not look at this like a bill and just splurge on $100/month. When I see it in the bank I'll just pretend its a phone bill or something (Okay, I have a serious problem).

Now I'm considering resubbing/trying out to:

- Kara's Way

- Goodebox

- Myglam

- for the makers (love crafts, really want to tryyy!)

- indie gift box

- conscious box

- sample society

- green grab bag

****If anyone out there can give me a really really convincing sub-par reason not to subscribe to one of the above, please tell me!!!

As you can tell, I'm slowly trying to lead a more organic/natural lifestyle ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I currently subscribe to Eco-emi and Birchbox.  I just cancelled Glossybox, not worth the aggravation.  I go back and forth about Birchbox,  Everytime I consider cancelling, I get roped in again.  It's cheap enough that it doesn't hurt that much.  I feel your pain though.  I would stick with what you have; don't sub to a new box.  When one is consistently boring, then cancel.  If you must subscribe to something else, then....  Use the same idea with buying clothes.  If you haven't worn something in a while, get rid of it to make rooom for something else.  Keep us posted an dGood Luck!

Originally Posted by bblodie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry if the question have been asked before but , I'm looking for a nice , not too expensive box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have beauty army and I like it but looking for a second one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I live in France and our boxes are Bad !! The only one kind of surviving is Glossybox ... the others one are going bankrupt or are buy by glossybox !

So if anyone can help me find a new box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Birchbox for sure.  $10 a month.

Originally Posted by bblodie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Birchbox for sure.  $10 and pretty consistent!

Back