Need help deciding which subs to keep/let go!! Addiction problem !!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by seap3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm in my 2nd yr of med school now, and I really enjoy my subs.  After summer break, I will NOT have time to go to the mall or browse around Sephora, so my subs are going to nice to get in the mail.  I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth, especially with BB. 

But it is good advice to not go overboard.  If you were going to add another one, I'd suggest Goodebox since you want to try more natural/organic products.  I know I wouldn't have time to go searching around for all these companies since they aren't as well known as the mainstream ones.  Goodebox has had some really interesting products, and their customer service is excellent.

Good luck with your plans!
That's exactly why I subscribe to Birchbox. I'm moving and there aren't any high end beauty stores near me (closest Sephora is 1+hours, same for Mac) so it's easier just to get samples shipped to me! Plus BB makes it worth it with their points system. This month I got 7 items so that's 70 points... $7, which means i paid three bucks for my birch box! (I am on cold medication, this makes sense to me right now. It might not make sense in real life)

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It makes sense.
oh good, thanks! I've been sick for almost a week now so I'm at the point where I'm losing it a little bit.

After years of overhauling on cosmetics I've really cut back these past few months. Ironically I'm the complete opposite, subscribing to just BB I've quit purchasing alot of stuff and look forward to my few samples monthly.  My advice is the same as CaliMel.  When you think about it in the longterm paying 100.00 monthly is paying 1200 a year on just samples. Chances are not even half the things you recieve in a box you will ever purchase on your own.  With all that money you can also buy a lot beauty products that you actually love and will continue to use. 

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After years of overhauling on cosmetics I've really cut back these past few months. Ironically I'm the complete opposite, subscribing to just BB I've quit purchasing alot of stuff and look forward to my few samples monthly.  My advice is the same as CaliMel.  When you think about it in the longterm paying 100.00 monthly is paying 1200 a year on just samples. Chances are not even half the things you recieve in a box you will ever purchase on your own.  With all that money you can also buy a lot beauty products that you actually love and will continue to use. 
Good point!!! That's why I try to keep it to just birchbox and maybe Julep.

I used to spend $100+ on subs every month. But I cancelled all but MyGlam and Birchbox (my favorites) and now I take the $50 and make a monthly purchase @ Sephora.com, and then use the rest at Target to buy clearance make-up. I get A TON more full-size and products I like for the same price as 15 subs with somewhat sh****y products in them most of the time. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Why not alternate among the subscriptions?

That's what I'm doing now. There are so many services, but my budget can't accommodate all of them. So, I only choose two subscriptions every quarter.

Right now, I'm on Conscious Box and Glossy Box. I started in June and my last month will be September. 

Starting in October through January, I'm planning on resubscribing to Birchbox and Eco Emi. 

Afterwards, February to May, I plan for GoodeBox and BeautyBar.

Caveat: you may run into waiting lists if you use this method. But, I don't think that's a big deal. There's always a another service to try :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Received my extra Eco-emi June box yesterday. So excited and I love it. Can't wait for the July box. Trying not to subscribe to anyone sample boxes. Yesterday a listing went out about a Bonus box for Eco-emi for $29.99. I believe 40 - 50 products including full sized. Listing out yesterday on FB; saw it today. Already sold out. Disappointed, but relieved. I just received the June box, July is coming. That's enough already! Going overboard with this tough. It's like an addicition. Cancelled Glossybox and it feels so good!  I'm now subscribed to Birchbox, Eco-emi & Curlbox.  Good & lovely looks interesing, not sure if it's worth the $$ and that's a good thing!  Keep up the fight y'all!

I'm actually down to just Birchbox right now to save money.  $10/mo isn't too bad, and so far they've kept me stocked up on things I would have needed anyway.  I will skip Julep for awhile, not sure if I'll actually cancel because it really is easy to just skip.  I love LBB, but I'm going to have some self control with them for a while too.

I will sign back up for Goodebox though in the next couple months.  I'm super impressed with their customer service and products.  

This is pretty good considering this year I tried most of the subscription services.  I don't regret trying any of them (luckily I avoided the scam ones).  I'm glad I got to try them and see which ones worked best for me.

I just got rid of Sample Society, BB, Beauty Army. I am older and it seems likes the boxes were not as exciting as some of the boxes that younger subscribers received. I just joined Lucid, Goodebox , Good and Lovely. I also subscribe to Beautyfix, new beauty Test Tube and Fortune Cookie Soap Box. I love trying new beauty products but hate the disappointment at some of the boxes and the values of the products I have received.

I'm trying an experiment this month in order to cull the herd:  The contents of each box goes into a Ziploc.  Each baggie gets labeled with what box (Birchbox sub#1, Birchbox sub#2, Julep, etc.).  Those baggies go into a Glossybox since it's a pretty box large enough to hold a lot of samples.  If I use an item, it does not go back in the baggie/box.  Unused items will stay in their box-specific bags, and the box-specific bags with the most items left in them at the end of the month will go on the chopping block, and the unused items (except for the ones I have specifically designated for use in another part of the year, like the DDF Brightening Cleanser from Birchbox.  I want to try it, but it's something that I will have to wait until cloudy weather comes along due to summer skin sensitivity) will go up for swap.  I know I get a lot of samples, but they come in at staggered times of the month, so it doesn't seem like I get as many as I know I do, and I think I need to see them all in one place in order to jolt myself into cutting subs.

I'm trying an experiment this month in order to cull the herd:  The contents of each box goes into a Ziploc.  Each baggie gets labeled with what box (Birchbox sub#1, Birchbox sub#2, Julep, etc.).  Those baggies go into a Glossybox since it's a pretty box large enough to hold a lot of samples.  If I use an item, it does not go back in the baggie/box.  Unused items will stay in their box-specific bags, and the box-specific bags with the most items left in them at the end of the month will go on the chopping block, and the unused items (except for the ones I have specifically designated for use in another part of the year, like the DDF Brightening Cleanser from Birchbox.  I want to try it, but it's something that I will have to wait until cloudy weather comes along due to summer skin sensitivity) will go up for swap.  I know I get a lot of samples, but they come in at staggered times of the month, so it doesn't seem like I get as many as I know I do, and I think I need to see them all in one place in order to jolt myself into cutting subs.
Brilliant. Let me know how it goes ?

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great idea!

Originally Posted by Lotus Luxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After A LOT of thought, I ended up with:

- Birchbox

- Eco Emi 

- Glossybox (already had the 6 month)

Now I'm considering resubbing/trying out to:

- Kara's Way

- Goodebox

- Myglam

- for the makers (love crafts, really want to tryyy!)

- indie gift box

- conscious box

- sample society

- green grab bag

****If anyone out there can give me a really really convincing sub-par reason not to subscribe to one of the above, please tell me!!!

As you can tell, I'm slowly trying to lead a more organic/natural lifestyle ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I sub to both myglam and samplesociety - and they are very different box...For all the issues MG has had in the past, I really do think those were just growing pains, and that they're in a more stable place now...They're now backed by a few million dollars in venture capital funding now. Their customer service, bags, products, and website have all gotten a lot better since when I first subscribed in January. At $10, I think it's so much better than what I've been getting in my Birchboxes. That said - I love my samplesociety box - and the customer service and operation are first rate - it's clearly a professional organization. The products in samplesociety, I feel, are for a slightly older audience than the demographic that I'm guessing you're in. There's a lot of skin care, anti-aging, wrinkle stuff. That said, whatever makeup/nail stuff that does come around, is really nice, and very high-end....which is great to test, but if you fall in love with them, gets super pricey. They are both very good subscriptions - I would choose either over BirchBox, hands down. 

And I guess the last thing is just something to think about. If you're trying to live a greener, organic/natural lifestyle, there are a lot of other, more efficient ways to do that, other than through subscription services. With $10 a month, you can get a lot at a local farmers market or even a WholeFoods store. I would suggest only going the eco-ish subscription box route if you don't have access to a farmers' market or a good organic retailer by you. Net-net, eco boxes aren't all that eco given the packaging and shipping...just my two cents. Good luck with your decision!

Here to update you guys. In response to tgooberbutt, I totally 100% agree with you about the whole eco thing.... The thing is I am SUPER busy and I don't have time to go to the store. I'm a full-time student, work part time at anthropologie, research assistant, and a TA for anatomy. I have class 5 days a week all year around and I'm studying for the MCATS at the moment as well. Unfortunately, I don't have time to walk through the aisles in whole foods and read labels. This is a lot easier for me because if I learn about a product that is shipped to me in the comfort of my home, I know in advance what I need to buy and I don't waste time. 

Anyway.... since I don't have many expenses at the moment I decided to keep BB, Eco-emi, goodebox, SS, and For the makers. With practically no life, I realized that these bring me happiness, so why cancel them at this point in my life? hahaha

I have to say, at the moment I am obsessed with for the makers. I've always been a crafty person and like I said I don't have much time in my life anymore, so I love that I have these crafts sent to me that I can do on some down time in between studying. It is a bit pricey, but at the end of the day I would probably spend more money at my michaels store buying a bunch of random stuff and not knowing what to do with it meanwhile they give me tutorials and everything. I highly reccomend this sub. I don't think I've seen anyone talk about it on MUT before. 

@LotusLuxe - Five subs, is not all that bad (I don't think), personally, I have three, and I agree that they are certainly time savers, and they do bring a lot of happiness each time they come in the mail - Christmas 3x/month!  I'm going to have to check out "For the Makers." I too like to think I'm pretty craftsy....though I find less and less spare time these days.  And not to add to your addiction or anything, if you have room in your budget, Lost Crates <https://lostcrates.com/crates> has a few design-oriented (and eco-food) curated monthly or quarterly crates that might pique your curiosity. I've marveled at how beautiful and intelligent the designs are, but they are really very price ($20+/mo). If for nothing else, just the pictures might inspire good craft ideas. 

Good luck with school, I've (up until recently) feel your pain on that!

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@LotusLuxe - Five subs, is not all that bad (I don't think), personally, I have three, and I agree that they are certainly time savers, and they do bring a lot of happiness each time they come in the mail - Christmas 3x/month!  I'm going to have to check out "For the Makers." I too like to think I'm pretty craftsy....though I find less and less spare time these days.  And not to add to your addiction or anything, if you have room in your budget, Lost Crates <https://lostcrates.com/crates> has a few design-oriented (and eco-food) curated monthly or quarterly crates that might pique your curiosity. I've marveled at how beautiful and intelligent the designs are, but they are really very price ($20+/mo). If for nothing else, just the pictures might inspire good craft ideas. 

Good luck with school, I've (up until recently) feel your pain on that!
This lostcrates is really cool & too Tempting. Too scary!!!!  Lucky for me, not in the budget right now.  I subscribe to 3 boxes.  Perhaps if I get rid of one.

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I sub to both myglam and samplesociety - and they are very different box...For all the issues MG has had in the past, I really do think those were just growing pains, and that they're in a more stable place now...They're now backed by a few million dollars in venture capital funding now. Their customer service, bags, products, and website have all gotten a lot better since when I first subscribed in January. At $10, I think it's so much better than what I've been getting in my Birchboxes. That said - I love my samplesociety box - and the customer service and operation are first rate - it's clearly a professional organization. The products in samplesociety, I feel, are for a slightly older audience than the demographic that I'm guessing you're in. There's a lot of skin care, anti-aging, wrinkle stuff. That said, whatever makeup/nail stuff that does come around, is really nice, and very high-end....which is great to test, but if you fall in love with them, gets super pricey. They are both very good subscriptions - I would choose either over BirchBox, hands down. 

And I guess the last thing is just something to think about. If you're trying to live a greener, organic/natural lifestyle, there are a lot of other, more efficient ways to do that, other than through subscription services. With $10 a month, you can get a lot at a local farmers market or even a WholeFoods store. I would suggest only going the eco-ish subscription box route if you don't have access to a farmers' market or a good organic retailer by you. Net-net, eco boxes aren't all that eco given the packaging and shipping...just my two cents. Good luck with your decision!
I would say to not subscribe to Glossybox because I had terrible experience with them not sending the boxes out on time, billing for the upcoming box before receiving the current box. Bad customer service, sloppy presentation and not feeling the products were worth the fee. I subscribe to boxes that are cheaper and they do a better job. Perhaps you've had a better experinece with them and feel differently. Love Birchbox and Eco-Emi!

Latest posts

Back