QOTD November 11, 2012 What do you think about legalizing Marijuana?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy Veteran's Day, everyone! I'm in WA state and a bill to make marijuana use recreational and legal was voted on and passed in our recent state election. What're your thoughts, yay or nay?

I voted yes on it.  I am a huge advocate of freedom in general and personal choice & responsibility & a very small, limited gov't.

I'm for it but mainly for medicinal usage, though recreational usage doesn't bother me either way. In 2003 my Dad was receiving chemo for end stage esophageal cancer. he was so sick from it and yes we got him  marijuana for the nausea and it helped with his eating as well. The hospital was sure he would die by the end of the year that they actually called and asked if he had died, I won't go into what I said to them. Would I do it over again hell yes, after seeing first hand the suffering my dad was subjected to every day.   My final thesis in collage was a thirty page report and video presentation on the medicinal usage of marijuana and the history of it from early on. I believe people should educate them selves on it and stop making decisions about it without all the facts. There have been no major government research studies done that could and or should delve into it more. People  are being jailed for possession of it and I'm talking small amounts and I find that very offensive and utterly wrong. The main issue is that the government can't regulate it and or find a way to make money off it, via taxes and or other monetary gains therefor it will remain a battle. Even though it passed in some states there will be people arrested for it and the cases will have to continue up the supreme court. There is so much government opposition  that I can only imagine what this is going to do and the presidents set for this. Ok  that's my rambling on it...lol Great post for discussion.

I voted yes on it.  I am a huge advocate of freedom in general and personal choice & responsibility & a very small, limited gov't.
I agree on personal liberties and small, limited government. You're not going to get that with this. I voted no, not because I disagree, but because I'm sick and tired of our corrupt politicians just throwing bills out without really taking the time to research and get sh$t organized. Interestingly enough, it'll be the WA state liquor board controlling and setting up regulations. Which they have the next year to do, then implement. For Nightgem, medical marijuana was already legal. All you need in WA is a script from your doc, aka green card. There have been several comparison studies done on marijuana use and Marinol, the pill designed to get around the drug use. Regular marijuana has proven more effective than the substitute pill Marinol, I believe. I worked in hospice care for a little over 4 years and had many patients who used medical marijuana for appetite, mood enhancement, nausea, and of course, for the good times lol.

I'm glad its being legalized, even recreationally. I think if you legalize, you can regulate it, which makes it safer for everyone. Also, its good for the economy! I don't smoke, but I think everyone should be able to if they want to, marijuana isn't going away, so might as well make it safe.

I guess my concerns stem with how do they intend to regulate? What does this mean for drug runners smuggling stuff into the country..they operate to fund cartels..and your little local, homegrown crops? Will it become some fine, operating without proper licenses or something to that effect? The taxes generated will be spent on what exactly? The government needs to balance budgets and show more fiscal responsibility, rather than only find new avenues of raising more money to line their pockets. I know plenty of people who use marijuana recreationally, doesn't bother me. I don't, haven't since I was a teenager; the job field I work in drug tests and my insurance premium just stated that beginning Jan. 2013, any smoker(tobacco) will be incurring a $50 surcharge to monthly premiums, because their health risks are greater. Plus, my hospital is working on a merger with a larger organization and they are smoke free, going so far as to blood test I believe and don't hire smokers. Lol, I know..so many questions I have.

I have endometriosis, adenmyosis & fibroids. I use medical marijuana (legally - I'm in Oregon) salve & cookies. It keeps me out of the ER. I can't take pain pills so this is my only option. One thing that concerns me is that if they sell it in a dispensary - that they will raise the prices up so high that people can't afford it. So they in turn, continue to buy it black market.

I have a good friend in Colorado that used to grow for dispensaries (they closed them all down). He told me that they sell ounces for $800+. It costs around $250 for a ounce black market. I can't remember what they paid him but it wasn't much. They sell tiny vials of tincture (great for nausea) for $45. I can make it so cheaply that I give it away. Edibles are also very expensive. It needs to be regulated but there is so much greed, I don't think it will happen.

I voted no to legalize in Oregon. There are too many grey areas.

Yes, that's another good point Souly! Black market pricing vs. legal +taxes. Marijuana is not going to be more affordable, but more expensive. For medical marijuana users, they already had scripts/access. I was fine with just decriminalization. I'm leery of all the "sin" taxes that'll be tacked on. I honestly feel the only reason politicians are pushing this is for more tax revenues, not to actually control additives and regulations. Greedy sharks, regardless of what line they're toeing lol.

Here's the thing about this, they can't regulate a drug that can be "grown"  just about anywhere basically making it a non profit for the government. The ban on marijuana came about in 1937, look up the Marihuana Tax Act ( yes that's how it was spelled) it was a major issue because of it's availability/cheapness to be used for many things. Those in big business didn't like the idea that they couldn't control it. They actually disguised it in a cleverly written  bill that could get past congress and the courts and it passed. They passed this by writing it as a tax revenue bill..  Miss LindaJean,I also did hospice work for five years but it emotionally burnt me out. Watching people die is something no one wants to see. Myself personally have been told by two of my doctors that the usage would help with some of my medical issues. After 3 heart attacks and 8 stents in my heart there's not a whole lot they can do for me since all the stents have closed. I take five different shots a day and twenty three pills just to "help keep me alive", kinda sucks but at least I live life the way I want now. I honestly don't think anyone's opinions on this matter are less than or greater than anyone else's, people make great valid arguments for and against this issue. Where I live it is illegal even for medicinal reasons and it sucks. The days when I'm having alot of issues are the days that it helps me feel better. ohh and Miss LindaJean we share the same name as well
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Nightgem /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's the thing about this, they can't regulate a drug that can be "grown"  just about anywhere basically making it a non profit for the government. The ban on marijuana came about in 1937, look up the Marihuana Tax Act ( yes that's how it was spelled) it was a major issue because of it's availability/cheapness to be used for many things. Those in big business didn't like the idea that they couldn't control it. They actually disguised it in a cleverly written  bill that could get past congress and the courts and it passed. They passed this by writing it as a tax revenue bill..  Miss LindaJean,I also did hospice work for five years but it emotionally burnt me out. Watching people die is something no one wants to see. Myself personally have been told by two of my doctors that the usage would help with some of my medical issues. After 3 heart attacks and 7 stents in my heart there's not a whole lot they can do for me since all the stents have closed. I take five different shots a day and twenty three pills just to "help keep me alive", kinda sucks but at least I live life the way I want now. I honestly don't think anyone's opinions on this matter are less than or greater than anyone else's, people make great valid arguments for and against this issue. Where I live it is illegal even for medicinal reasons and it sucks. The days when I'm having alot of issues are the days that it helps me feel better. ohh and Miss LindaJean we share the same name as well
biggrin.gif
So many similarities...I'm not in hospice care anymore..now I work on a Cardiac floor in a hospital! Lol, crazy! About the regulation...I'm just curious and a bit dumbfounded how they intend to do so..how are they going to go after the homegrown folks? I'm all for decriminilizing, but worry about what will happen with the drugs being smuggled into the US. Already, spokespeople from the Mexican government are issuing statements about rethinking their "efforts" to stem marijuana smuggling into the US..please, like they really do try. I personally feel that they're just fine with it and have been, as they have their own corruption and issues going on down there. 

Personally, do I care whether people smoke a joint for leisure or medicinal reasons? Heck no, do what you will.. but I do wonder what the government plans to do to implement this and where the money is going to go. Souly's point about the black market value is interesting and strikes a chord with me. For the people who use it now, they'll see prices go up with the taxes added.. I also see the govmnt stepping in and trying to charge outrageous fees, depending on the "strength" of what you'll be buying.

I'm happy to just decriminilize it and let people make the decision for themselves. I don't think we need to be funneling more money to govmnt officials to line their pockets and be able to dictate YET another area of our lives. I'm all for fiscal responsibility and social liberties. I only hope that people make responsible decisions for themselves. Despite efforts to legalize it, many people because of job restrictions may not be able to partake in it. I think the people who actually NEED it the most, medical users, may get shafted with the fees and taxes that this legalization may bring. Which probably will bring them back to black market level purchases.

I'm in PA so  I guess I only have an opinion. Some of the points made here were excellent. Coming onto the post, my original thought is nay for recreational use, because I know too many people who have done it (before age 18) and I personally feel that it just makes you an idiot. Lol. However, someone said yay, because passing legalization gives the opportunity to regulate it. If it's regulated, it's safer. (I at one time had a friend who, upon trying it her first time, ended up in the ER because the marijuana she had bought (on the street, illegally) had been laced with something or the other and almost killed her.) I also wonder what age restrictions would be implemented. 

Lol, chime in..ya never know, legalization may come to your state soon. Since several states introduced bills regarding this, I expect more to follow. At what time, that's the only toss up. I see some similarities that the US is starting to move more towards trends/laws that have already been implemented in other countries.

I have no doubt that it could come to PA!! Lol my first thought when CO legalized it was - this is the beginning, lol. If one state can allow it, other states can, and will try to, too. 

Hey...this guy fits right in!  
canabis.gif

joint.gif
 Him, too...  I rarely use the other emoticons...so that was fun..lol

I live in WA and voted to legalize it. I don't smoke it, but I don't care if other people do.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm glad its being legalized, even recreationally. I think if you legalize, you can regulate it, which makes it safer for everyone. Also, its good for the economy! I don't smoke, but I think everyone should be able to if they want to, marijuana isn't going away, so might as well make it safe.
I'm actually torn on it being legalized. On one hand it can be regulated but on the other hand how well can it be regulated? I made the joke above about tax it it to death but exactly how can it be taxed if, as Divadoll pointed out, people will grow it themselves? I already know in WA it's against the law to drive under the influence of anything even if it's legal like medication so I'm not exactly concerned about the hordes of people going to start smoking pot then drive because people do that now regardless and a law legalizing pot won't change people driving while under the influence. The difference I think is when a person is caught right now they are arrested for DUI and possession of a controlled substance so once the law goes into effect the possession of a controlled substance may be a moot point. I guess we just have to wait to see how the passing of this will affect the laws on the books

I'm not sure if pot can be made safe because people are going to abuse it whether it's legal or not, the only thing I think that will really happen is that if someone is caught with it they won't be arrested on a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor charge. I do think that pot won't be readily accessible as people think it will be, that is it won't be sold in the grocery store next to the cigarettes but instead will be sold only in a controlled manner either through a specialty smoke store or through a marijuana dispensary as medical marijuana currently is. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Personally, I do think that if a person needs it for medical use because other pain medication doesn't work for them or is too expensive then they should have access to it if it helps.

People abuse alcohol everyday. People die in cars under the influence of alcohol everyday. How is this different? Alcohol is readily available, by your reasoning, everyone should be alcoholics by now. Possession of controlled substances also mean cocaine, meth, x, and a myriad of illicit substances on the streets today. No wording change is required, it is meant to cover all that is currently illegal,

Any ways back on topic since Divadoll and I can go on and on which isn't fair to the rest of the members. Sorry folks about that interruption. I'm actually torn on it being legalized. On one hand it can be regulated but on the other hand how well can it be regulated? I made the joke above about tax it it to death but exactly how can it be taxed if, as Divadoll pointed out, people will grow it themselves? I already know in WA it's against the law to drive under the influence of anything even if it's legal like medication so I'm not exactly concerned about the hordes of people going to start smoking pot then drive because people do that now regardless and a law legalizing pot won't change people driving while under the influence. The difference I think is when a person is caught right now they are arrested for DUI and possession of a controlled substance so once the law goes into effect the possession of a controlled substance may be a moot point. I guess we just have to wait to see how the passing of this will affect the laws on the books I'm not sure if pot can be made safe because people are going to abuse it whether it's legal or not, the only thing I think that will really happen is that if someone is caught with it they won't be arrested on a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor charge. I do think that pot won't be readily accessible as people think it will be, that is it won't be sold in the grocery store next to the cigarettes but instead will be sold only in a controlled manner either through a specialty smoke store or through a marijuana dispensary as medical marijuana currently is. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out. Personally, I do think that if a person needs it for medical use because other pain medication doesn't work for them or is too expensive then they should have access to it if it helps.

Specifically to the topic at hand, I don't personally have a problem with any use of it. I haven't smoked it in years myself but I certainly don't see it as a destructive substance for most people. Things that are already legal, like drinking and smoking regular cigarettes, seem to have a much more negative effect on human health and safety. I am not suggesting it shouldn't be regulated. I just sort of think it's not a big deal.

Latest posts

Back