QOTD November 11, 2012 What do you think about legalizing Marijuana?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it should be legalized or at least decriminalized and I personally can't stand pot. By that I mean that whenever I have tried it I puke then pass out. So what's the fun in that??? I believe that alcohol is much more dangerous and destructive and it's legal. I prefer mellow potheads to angry violent drunks, that's one thing for sure! Most of the worst episodes in my life involve alcohol, but when I've been around marijuana or potheads, I can't think of any bad episodes. (Well, besides the puking and passing out, if I ingest it.)

I also don't see the point of filling our prisons with non-violent people. Sure, put the gun toting drug dealers in there. But some dude with a baggie and some paraphernalia? Just make sure he's not driving under the influence and let him go on his merry way.

I definitely think it should be legal in all states for medicinal usage and it should also be inexpensive and available at a regular pharmacy for pick up. These are usually cancer and aids patients or others in end stage, and very painful conditions. I should mention that I could possibly be a candidate for medicinal marijuana usage, since i am a chronic pain sufferer with 4 herniated discs...caused by an angry drunk who threw me against a wall, I might add. I just couldn't smoke it, but maybe the marinol pain pills might help, I don't know?

I have met many angry drunks, I've never met an angry stoner. Alcohol is also controlled,you can't distill hard liquor at home without permits. I'm sure you won't be able to grow your own either without permits. I'm sorry to hear about your injury, Donna. I hope you find relief.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have met many angry drunks, I've never met an angry stoner. Alcohol is also controlled,you can't distill hard liquor at home without permits. I'm sure you won't be able to grow your own either without permits. I'm sorry to hear about your injury, Donna. I hope you find relief.
No, not yet. My kids see me at my worst and tell me, mom, let us help you. We could get some and it might help. But I've turned it down so far. I don't need to be sick as well as in pain, so I'm scared to try, and I don't want to send them out on an illegal mission for me!

I don't have an opinion (or really, I'm going out of my way not to have an opinion about this subject) but I saw this floating around the other day, and it's worth sharing ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

George Takei is literally the best @$*()!)(#

I'm all for legalizing it. I don't smoke, but I think smoking a joint every now and again is less harmful that drinking regularly.

No, not yet. My kids see me at my worst and tell me, mom, let us help you. We could get some and it might help. But I've turned it down so far. I don't need to be sick as well as in pain, so I'm scared to try, and I don't want to send them out on an illegal mission for me!
Canadians, in particular, British Columbians are more forward thinking on these issues. You can grow up to 200 plants at home without charges. I neither smoke nor grow any but it is just a plant. Once US has legalized MJ, it paves the way for Canada. US is standing in the way of legalizing. It is actually interesting because Canada was going to de-criminalize but legalizing is th better step.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have an opinion (or really, I'm going out of my way not to have an opinion about this subject) but I saw this floating around the other day, and it's worth sharing ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

George Takei is literally the best @$*()!)(#
George Takei for President.
rocknroll2.gif

I don't smoke, never have and never will but I agree with Divadoll. I have never met an angry pot smoker. Nor have I heard of anyone getting high and killing a family on their way selfishly "smoking and driving"..

I remember a commercial when I was a kid or maybe late teen of a group of kids in a drive thru and they were getting high, hit the gas and hit a little girl riding a bike. I always thought that commercial was BS.

I do think that kids/teens that brag about smoking weed like people are supposed to be impressed is pathetic though. I am all for medicinal or even recreational but not everyone thinks its cool or cares!

I do not smoke it (or anything else) and I never have. I have both friends and family who do and have. At first I was against it being legalized. But then someone brought to my attention some very good points and I am now in favor of it if it is done a certain way.

Basically, it would need to be regulated in terms of growth for selling and quality, etc. I also like the idea of it being taxed similar to cigarettes and such. These two things would also mean there would be some accountability and hopefully would maintain a safe product because of the regulation, registration of growers, etc. Just like any other industry that grows things to sell to others for consumption.

I also think it would cut down on the numbers in jails and other resources used for that. While I am not an advocate for any one doing anything illegal, I do think jailing someone for marijuana (and especially large numbers) is not a very effective use of funds. Legalizing marijuana would, hopefully, cut down on the numbers in jails (and costs associated with them) and also allow staff to focus on more serious drugs or other things altogether.

As far as people growing it themselves for their own consumption... okay, fine. But once they want to sell it, it needs to be regulated. It's the same for people who grow their own gardens and such. Sure some of them sell a few tomatoes here and there, but mostly it is for personal use. I realize this could be a bigger issue for marijuana, but probably relatively small compared to the current issues.

I also think it would need to be treated similar to alcohol in that driving or whatever while intoxicated (including public intoxication) would be illegal and result in a fine, etc.

And same for the employer issues. You cannot go to work drunk and most companies do not allow you to drink on the hob, so you should not be able to smoke marijuana or be intoxicated on it while at work either. Nor should you be able to go smoke it on your break, etc. I also think it should be not allowed in public in general. If they want to make special bars for it (or whatever), fine. And tax them.

I realize this all sounds rather blunt, and do not mean for it to sound so harsh if it does, but it is leaning towards an obvious solution sort of thing for me.

Originally Posted by Dekilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also think it should be not allowed in public in general. If they want to make special bars for it (or whatever), fine. And tax them.
It's actually against the law (in WA) to smoke cigarettes in bars as it is so smoking pot in a restaurant or bar would still be illegal under that other law.

I haven't imbibed in many years, but I do think it should be legal. If you don't like it, don't use it, but you don't need to be a
icon_evil.gif
about it and make it so no one can use it.

It's legal in AZ to use for medical uses now, which I thought was pretty cool for a predominately republican state.

I don't and won't use in the future though, even if it were to become legalized, as I'd like to be a nurse
med.gif
and that is one profession you really can't be intoxicated and do your job correctly.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have met many angry drunks, I've never met an angry stoner.
Haha I was thinking this. I had a roommate years ago who is the most hardcore pothead I have ever met. 24/7 the whole time I lived with her. The only thing that really annoyed me was how slooooooooooooooooooow she talked all the time. She never got into any trouble and was generally just peaceful.

California already has some pretty stiff smoking laws pertaining to anything smoked so I am sure this would just be tossed into the mix with the others.

I saw this on my local CBS affiliate website this morning.

Police: Driver high on marijuana hits, kills pedestrian in Vancouver   VANCOUVER, Wash. – A driver who hit and killed a man in Vancouver Monday night admitted to police that he smoked marijuana before the crash, police said.

Witnesses said the man stepped from a median into traffic before the crash. Police said he was carrying a grocery bag.

The crash happened at 5:50 p.m. near the intersection of Anderson Road and East Mill Plain Boulevard, police said.

The driver, 47-year-old Scotty R. Rowles (pictured at right in a 2007 Multnomah County booking photo for a probation violation), was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence of marijuana. Police said he stayed at the scene after the crash.

The victim has not been identified.

A Rowles family member who spoke with KATU News said Rowles admitted to officers that he smoked pot earlier in the day, but said he was not impaired at the time of the crash.

Washington's new marijuana law states that a if there is 5 or more nanograms of THC per milliliter of blood in the body, a person can be considered impaired.

Vancouver defense attorney Andrew Wheeler is worried about that part of the law.

"There's less known about the absorption of marijuana into a person's system," Wheeler said. "It gives a driver less foreseeability."

Washington State troopers are feeling their way around the state's new law.

"We're looking for impairment," said Trooper Will Finn. "We're looking to get impaired drivers off the road. How impaired is a person with five nanograms of THC in their system? It's hard to say."

Results of Rowles' blood test won't be available for some time.
Thoughts?

There will be complications, as we're already finding out with news reports. The legal ramifications and where the line is drawn between being lawful and unlawful is what's still unclear.. I guess the next few years and major incidents regarding people impaired by marijuana will reveal answers, by setting legal precedents.

I do know that in WA state, college campuses still have a ban. Because marijuana is still considered illegal federally and colleges do get federal funds, they'll stick to the old standard and keep that funding coming. Doesn't change the fact that where there's a will, there's a way. Despite the anti stance taken, it seems college students are still lighting up on campus from the King5 news report I watched lol.

I know this is an old thread, but I'll start up by saying, I'm a fucking stoner...and to whomever said it makes you stupid, it doesn't maybe if you are too high(haha fun times), but not if you're not. I've seen almost all the documentaries on pot and why it was banned and what not. People hate it, cuz anti pot propaganda was spread in like the 50's(if I'm wrong with my facts, idc I'm not gonna check on them cuz...I'm not writing a paper or something), that black people would smoke it and become violent and mexicans would smoke it and become violent too(back in the day I know completely racist, I'm just saying what they would spread) and ohhh the reefers makes you change and kill people...lol BS big pile of BS...(oh not stoned, haven't done it in like 2 months). When they were going to make it illegal people didn't even want it to be illegal lol, at least the state of NY didn't(way back in the day ofc). They say it's a gateway drug...ya totally since I started smoking I've done...pot...pot and oh yeah...pot...All my friends are stoners, and we know you don't mess with anything else cuz it's ADDICTIVE, which pot is not, unless you have a predisposition to become an addict. My mom gets a headache if she doesn't get her coffee every morning...what do I get if I don't smoke pot? nothing ^^ nothing at all...the only reason it's a "gateway" drug, it's cuz some dealers will also sell all of the bad stuff(but you don't mess with that shit!). I'm all for it being legalized, but not for insane prices on it. Also I think it's super unfair that if you are interviewing for a job and you use pot, you are screwed, it takes forever to leave the system, but the hard drugs...don't -.-' they clean up in like a week...so that means I can be a non addict that uses the most non drug drug and I can't get a job, but if I'm a crack head I can get a job! yay -.- cuz, you know f*** logic...the only reason most countries make pot illegal is cuz of the US...in my country(Costa Rica), consumption didn't use to be illegal and you could have a small amount on yourself and be cool, as long as you are no carrying a bunch, cuz distribution was illegal...now everything is illegal and the cops are out to get you...to steal your pot and smoke it -.-' gotta love 'em corrupted cops...*sigh* oh the pigs how I wish they would all die...lmao jk(well maybe not :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ). Also food is yummy and sex is awesome...and if you haven't done it...you should do it at least once before you die... :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am totally for legalizing marijuana, both for recreational and medical use. It is amazing drug that can help to treat: anxiety, diabetes, chronic pains, cancer. It has little to none side effects, (more about them here) and it helps me a lot.

While people here are trying to quit smoking, some feel sorry for marijuana being not legal. Well. Btw, if someone's looking for a nice store to buy a vape or a vape-pen or juices, this one is my favorite vapingdaily.com.

Back