Who here buys polish just because of the name?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious how many other polish addicts out there buy polish for the name.  I am so guilty of this!

I'm finally coming out of lurking because this thread makes me happy! I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this! I did this not too long ago and my friends thought I was crazy xD I bought a Deborah Lippmann set with a lipstick and nail polish just because the nail polish was called "Let It Bleed." My favorite band has a song titled the same so I had to buy it
icon_redface.gif
At least I love the color of it and the lipstick!

Quote: Originally Posted by Jams53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm finally coming out of lurking because this thread makes me happy! I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this! I did this not too long ago and my friends thought I was crazy xD I bought a Deborah Lippmann set with a lipstick and nail polish just because the nail polish was called "Let It Bleed." My favorite band has a song titled the same so I had to buy it
icon_redface.gif
At least I love the color of it and the lipstick!
Welcome!  I am so happy you did! 

I totally do this quite a bit.  Some of them include Moar Dots, an indie round glitter I just bought because it's a reference to World of Warcraft.  Pussy Galore the OPI liquid sand from the Bond Girls collection and my newest Essie polish called Cocktails & Coconuts.  I actually fell in love with it once I got it home but I bought it on pure name alone! 

Most of my indies are based around collections or themes including most of my Hit Polish and I love anything made by Nerd Lacquer because who doesn't love a polish called The Lando System if you are a Star Wars fan!

I am so guilty of this. Indies always get me with fandom collections. I also had to get Pussy Galore because of its name. I've also skipped on polishes because I didn't like the name.

Quote: Originally Posted by bellatrix42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am so guilty of this. Indies always get me with fandom collections. I also had to get Pussy Galore because of its name. I've also skipped on polishes because I didn't like the name.
OMG right!  I have done that just as much.  I actually find the Nicole by OPI polishes in the Kardashian collections funny names but I didn't buy any for the longest time because I am not a big fan!

normally i dont buy nail polish bc of their brands!!! i just buy when i see the colour i like hehe!! recently i bought this gel polish and is really cool because it doesn't emit any foul smell unlike other nail polish brands i've used
icon_cry.gif
  it also dries in seconds because i have to do house work and normally don't have that much time to wait!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
oh!! and it didn't chip off that easily when i was handwashing my clothes unlike others
scared.gif
you all should try it out! it's called Angel Pro if i'm not wrong, https://www.facebook.com/AngelPro.HQ !

I am curious how many other polish addicts out there buy polish for the name.  I am so guilty of this!
I have before!! I mostly look at the polish first and pick it up because I like the way it looks, but I can be swayed by a name if I'm on the fence. I did this with a Sinful Colors polish, I liked the color enough, but when I saw it was called Nail Junkie (or Polish Junkie?? Can't remember and too lazy to go look) I knew I had to purchase it.

I did this once or twice. The most recent one is a neon coral (not something I usually would have bought but it does look good on me), called "Danger Zone."

"Lana. LANA. LANAAAAAAAA

WHAT?!

…danger zone!"

Oh Archer <3

Quote: Originally Posted by hrhvittoria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I did this once or twice. The most recent one is a neon coral (not something I usually would have bought but it does look good on me), called "Danger Zone."

"Lana. LANA. LANAAAAAAAA

WHAT?!

…danger zone!"

Oh Archer <3
OMG I would have done the same thing.  That's awesome!

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would totally buy Orly Sparkling Garbage just for the name.
I did!  I wasn't sure I would like it until I got it home and loved it.  Bought Pretty Ugly from the same line for the same reason.

Yes, I will buy one polish over another because of the name.  But color is the first thing that gets me to want to buy.

I hate it when nail polish doesn't have a name.  When it just has a number or no name at all, I don't like it.

Quote: Originally Posted by LuckyMoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yes, I will buy one polish over another because of the name.  But color is the first thing that gets me to want to buy.

I hate it when nail polish doesn't have a name.  When it just has a number or no name at all, I don't like it.
It's like it has no identity!  A lot of OPI polishes have fantastic names.  Even though Lincoln Park After Dark is one of the most popular shades, I don't own it yet and I want it just for that name. 

Another one I just bought because of the name is China Glaze "It's a Trap-eze"  Well pretty much the "It's a trap" part.

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I try not to, but it definitely happens.

The name sometimes influences me against it, too. I almost didn't get Pussy Galore because of the name.

There's a polish by Digital Nails called Fibonacci Sequins ("By definition, the first two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence are 1 and 1, or 0 and 1, depending on the chosen starting point of the sequence, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two"--wikipedia) that I totally want for the name. (I'm not good at math, but I like it, and I have a few friends who are math teachers.) Plays on words are my favorite type of humor.

I almost bought a nail polish by Zoya last night because it's called Kat, which is my nickname. I didn't like the swatches I looked up at all.

Off the top of my head, a few others I've wanted just for the name: Button Masher Lacquer Be Excellent to Each Other, Pretty and Polished I'm Not a Banana, Whimsical Ideas by Pam Seuss (this one I actually bought).

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Another one I just bought because of the name is China Glaze "It's a Trap-eze"  Well pretty much the "It's a trap" part.
I have almost bought this so many times.  I look at it when I go to Ulta & it's gorgeous & I love the name.  I just talk myself out of it every time.  And I don't own any China Glaze, so if I buy one, I might have to start buying all the China Glaze I can get my hands on.   

And when I say "might", I mean definitely.  I know how this nail polish addiction thing works for me.

I have almost bought this so many times.  I look at it when I go to Ulta & it's gorgeous & I love the name.  I just talk myself out of it every time.  And I don't own any China Glaze, so if I buy one, I might have to start buying all the China Glaze I can get my hands on.   

And when I say "might", I mean definitely.  I know how this nail polish addiction thing works for me.
I adore China Glaze polish and for the most part the names.  One of the new textured polishes coming out with the Spring 2014 line is called "Sand Dolla Make You Holla" makes me want it just for that not to mention it's so pretty.  I ordered It's a Trap-eze online and should be here today!!

I used to think OPI was the holy grail of nail polish until I bought one of their colors...can't remember which one...and it took something like 6 coats to make it look right, plus it was streaky. Now don't get me wrong, there are many OPI colors that have worked out just fine for me, but not this particular one. After that I started looking around and discovered China Glaze which I've had no problems with yet, and Ulta Professional polishes which I am totally in love with. At full price, they're $7.50-$8 per bottle, but they're on sale for $2 each right now online so I was able to get a haul of 11 bottles. No complaints yet! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I ordered one today from Glam Polish; I do like the look of the polish a lot, but it pushed it over the edge that it's called Fraggle Rock.

I totally agree - that just seems sad to have an unnamed nail polish color for some reason.  Besides, if it doesn't have a name how am I ever supposed to remember if I have it already or not?  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   I tend to get lots of similar colors, so that's the only thing that keeps me (most of the time) from getting the same thing twice.

I like a lot of the OPI polish names, and there are some really cute names on some of the Essie colors too.  If a nail polish has a name that annoys me, it's hard for me to want to get it even if I like the color.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back