Who here buys polish just because of the name?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by erin303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree - that just seems sad to have an unnamed nail polish color for some reason.  Besides, if it doesn't have a name how am I ever supposed to remember if I have it already or not?  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   I tend to get lots of similar colors, so that's the only thing that keeps me (most of the time) from getting the same thing twice.

I like a lot of the OPI polish names, and there are some really cute names on some of the Essie colors too.  If a nail polish has a name that annoys me, it's hard for me to want to get it even if I like the color.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There a few from the upcoming OPI Brazil collection that make me laugh so hard.  Amazon... Amazoff is one and Taupe-less Beach is the other.  I don't need any more taupe colors but I would buy that just for that name. 

Quote: Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's a polish by Digital Nails called Fibonacci Sequins ("By definition, the first two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence are 1 and 1, or 0 and 1, depending on the chosen starting point of the sequence, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two"--wikipedia) that I totally want for the name. (I'm not good at math, but I like it, and I have a few friends who are math teachers.) Plays on words are my favorite type of humor.

Oooooo... I like that!  I haven't seen the Digital Nails brand before - where is it sold, or is it online only?

There's a polish by Digital Nails called Fibonacci Sequins ("By definition, the first two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence are 1 and 1, or 0 and 1, depending on the chosen starting point of the sequence, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two"--wikipedia) that I totally want for the name. (I'm not good at math, but I like it, and I have a few friends who are math teachers.) Plays on words are my favorite type of humor.
Oooooo... I like that!  I haven't seen the Digital Nails brand before - where is it sold, or is it online only?
Online only, to my knowledge. They have a store on etsy.com.

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlynns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I do this a lot! Sometimes i hate the color, but the name is just so awesome i HAVE to get it!
I came really close to ordering one from a blog sale.  It was a Happy Hands Mayonegg.  I just loved the name.  It was a crelly with yellow glitters that looked like yolks!! I don't know maybe it would have been cute but I wanted it just for the name.  Unfortunately I just didn't have the extra cash at the time!

I do this a lot! Sometimes i hate the color, but the name is just so awesome i HAVE to get it!
I came really close to ordering one from a blog sale.  It was a Happy Hands Mayonegg.  I just loved the name.  It was a crelly with yellow glitters that looked like yolks!! I don't know maybe it would have been cute but I wanted it just for the name.  Unfortunately I just didn't have the extra cash at the time!
Harlow and Co has four Happy Hands polishes (Art is Hard, Beachy Keen, Cherry Cola, and Tropical Storm) on sale for $7 or $8, but not Mayonegg.

Others I want just for names.... You Autumn Know - KB Shimmer and Great White - Sally Hansen Triple Shine are two I can think of at the moment

my problem goes even further.  i've been wanting to wear "death by cupid's arrow" for a couple of weeks now and i won't let myself do it till valentine's day.  which is ridiculous b/c it's not really a valentine's color nor would anyone but me even know the connection.  

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would totally buy Orly Sparkling Garbage just for the name.
I want that one VERY much, but not because of the name. I saw swatches of it, and wow! It looks kind of sheer, so I would probably layer it over a similarly toned crème, but the sparkle is crazified. @Scooby Dynamite, I think, did some cool photos of it if I remember correctly.

Quote: Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I want that one VERY much, but not because of the name. I saw swatches of it, and wow! It looks kind of sheer, so I would probably layer it over a similarly toned crème, but the sparkle is crazified. @Scooby Dynamite, I think, did some cool photos of it if I remember correctly.
Layered is good but it does have some depth if you wear it alone.  I wish I would have known you guys didn't have it when Sally had a 50% off clearance they still had some.  I should have bought back ups for me too but I would have gotten for you!!

Old thread. But, I just found one I must buy because of the name.

Picture Polish's "Electric Blue"

On the bottle it says "It's all over you electric blue" If anyone's ever heard that Icehouse song other than me. They'll know that's the lyrics to the chorus. That's been my favorite song since I was 12! I must have that polish.

Two of them that I did buy for the name was China Glaze's Charmed I'm Sure (Kevin Collins said that once on General Hospital when he met someone while he was dressed in drag. LOL. And, he's my fave soap character) Then, I bought China Glaze's Sun of a Peach because it's a play on the phrase SOB. LOL.

I just bought a NYC black creme polish because of the name... Evil.  I lost this thread because of the new forums.  Thanks for posting to it!!

You're welcome. And, I found another one I want for the name. Rainbow Honey's Magic Cake. Love the color too though. But, the name is awesome.

Yea, I was guilty of this in the past, I used to only stick to brand names till I finally realized they all basically do the same thing. Nowadayz it doesn't matter, I see a color I like I buy it. Change is always good and I now find it hard to stick to any brand name when it comes to nails because no one brand carries all the colors I might be interested in.

Back