tulosai

Days 31-40 of the 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Totally thrilled I've upped my skincare routine!!! My cashier today triple-checked my ID when I bought wine (I'm 32!)

I usually just get irritated when that happens (I'm 37 and yeah, it still happens -- I haven't been out in the sun for any significant length of time for about 25 years, though).

• Like 1

I usually just get irritated when that happens (I'm 37 and yeah, it still happens -- I haven't been out in the sun for any significant length of time for about 25 years, though).

Same.  I'm 28 (so a bit younger than either of you) but I'll turn 29 in a week so I feel comfortable saying I'm almost 30, and I still get carded I'd say over 75% of the time.  That's all fine (if annoying) but what really really gets me about it is that people will not card my partner (who is a bit older at 31, but this has been going on for YEARS) but will card me.  And I honestly don't think he looks older than me, so it is a true mystery. This happens nearly every single time we go out together.

It will be an interesting 10 days. I have 2 sick kids, a conference I may (sick kids) and should attend, and my sister at the end of the 10 day period.

1. Paint my fingernails once.

2. Use masks at least 3 times.

3. Go through my sub boxes again and see if there are anymore I am willing to cancel.

4. Plan out when to have V-Day celebration. I have the V-day TFB that is to arrive around V-Day and a Groupon for our favorite restaurant.

5. Complete one craft box. I am behind on my craft subs and cancelled all of them until I am caught up. It's been too much with everything going on with my sister.

6. Reorganize items in the master bedroom.

7. Do not buy anything when my sister stresses me.

8. Work on finishing almost empties.

Edited by PA Anna
  • Like 2

Totally thrilled I've upped my skincare routine!!!  My cashier today triple-checked my ID when I bought wine (I'm 32!)  B)  :sunshine:  :wizard:

As far as flossing goes, I use the floss picks.  My sister in law, a dental hygienist, said they're ok to use IF I do the following steps (normally they're not OK because they can transfer bacteria between teeth).

After going between 2 teeth, wipe visible plaque off with a clean tissue and dip in Listerine.  Use a separate pick for each quadrant of the mouth (upper left & right, lower left & right).  At the very least, use a separate one for upper and lower teeth.

Thanks for the tips..I have some of those things and used one last night and one this morning. I figured it was better than not flossing at all, but I'll take your advice!

Haven't been really posting lately because I just got over being sick. :( Stupid flu! But I'm feeling all better and ready for some new goals!

1. As always, DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

2. Wear makeup at least 5 days.

3. Paint nails at least once.

4. Use a mask at least twice.

5. Wash my brushes.

6. Keep focusing on the palette I'm panning. (I'm finally seeing a tiny dip in 1 of the shadows :w00t:!!!)

7. I've been slowly building myself up to this, but it is finally time: Go through my closet. I have so many clothes. I love having variety and a bunch of options to choose from, but I need to be realistic and give myself some tough love. I need to try EVERYTHING on. If I don't feel super duper awesome in it or if I really can't see myself wearing it, it will be donated.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you!  Your support and encouragement have meant so much to me during these last 30 days!

• Like 4

Since I received my Muji acrylic containers today, I began organizing and inventorying my beauty products. *jawdrop* I had no idea how much ish I have. I have so many products, I'm embarrassed. Between 90 nail polishes, 50+ lipsticks (that seem to be the same 3 shades), 10+ highlighters, and the endless amounts of skincare products, I'm swimming in stuff. I really don't need to buy anything! Even after this no-buy is up, I'm gonna have to implement a "No buying until 10 products are used up" rule so I can continue to really make a dent in this stash. *hangs head in shame*

• Like 2

Please stay strong with your no buy! You can do it! Congrats on paying your charge card off! Sometimes we have setbacks but the main thing is to recognize it and stop it like you did with the returns issue. You can do this, we are rooting for you! I'm on a no buy myself and it's the hardest thing I've ever done so I know what you and many others are going through. We can do it!

• Like 1

I will say that this thread has helped me quite a bit as well with my no buy. Without it I would have caved many a time for sure.

Just yesterday, I was buying an after-shave at Sephora for my boyfriend, and spotted that darned Nars Narsissist palette. That has been a major want of mine, and I know it's LE. I picked it up, told myself I could have this one thing, started heading to the register, then thought ahead to 10 minutes into the future, when I would be full of remorse and guilt. I put it down. As much as I want it, I know there will be other highly covetable eyeshadow palettes to come. If it still happens to be around come April, I will get it.

Meanwhile, still staying strong. I WILL DO THIS!

• Like 4

You can do it!  Just stay strong.  Don't feel bad about the returns.  If it is stuff you were not using then you have to look at it like "Would I rather have money in my pocket or x item?"

I wish you much success on your journey and I know you can do it!  Utilize all your supports and you will be successful!

• Like 1

Hello everyone!  I don't know how the 100 days will go without the support I found here, but I'm going to keep it up as well as I can and will be sending support to you all from afar! Best of luck!

I love this low buy I have been doing as it means far more to me than just not buying things I don't need. It is about using my stash, getting organized, and using what I have instead of buying something new. Thank you for starting it, I love the idea

• Like 1

I got to feeling down yesterday, and I had a little binge. I was going to confess in detail, but I realized that would only reinforce the binge in my mind. 

Despite the binge, I found myself still wanting to come here and post, still wanting to work on my Glossybox of foils. I had moved my skincare and body care foils from a Birchbox to a Glossybox, and I added in my nail care, makeup, and hair care foils. I have 53 foils to finish as of now. 

I realized that posting here and doing project pan on my foils have become a habit. This has to be a good sign. So I am just going to keep trying. And I am going to change my signature to something that is less reinforcing of my failures and problems. 

• Like 2

@turntrekgodhead Happy Birthday Week :wizard:

@@Kristine Walker I hope you are feeling better and stronger everyday :hugs3:

@@EdithS2 Keep on trying. Don't give up. It was a hard day yesterday, but you also understood what caused the binge and want to continue using up items. As you say, that is a good sign :)

I forgot to add using FitBook and working out to my goals. I have not done well yet. I plan to fill out my fitbook and put the info from yesterday in there.

I forgot to add using FitBook and working out to my goals. I have not done well yet. I plan to fill out my fitbook and put the info from yesterday in there.

I find it SO difficult to use any kind of tracking (computer program, app, or even a paper food diary) for any weight loss purposes.  I start out great and maybe even last a week or so and then I usually quit.  So here's hoping you will be much more successful than I ever was!

So I am contemplating fudging on the no-buy just a little bit.

I read today that they closed the Lip Smackers factory down.  So, like, I won't be able to get these anymore.  I have been addicted to the Dr. Pepper ones for more than two decades.  And if I wait another 70 days, Target probably won't have any more.  So I am planning to go to Target in a few minutes and buy out all they have left, and I am thinking this is OK because I will literally never be able to get these again.  I didn't set up this condition in my original list because it never occurred to me that it would be an issue.

(I need to stop beginning sentences with "so...")

• Like 1

I read today that they closed the Lip Smackers factory down.  So, like, I won't be able to get these anymore.  I have been addicted to the Dr. Pepper ones for more than two decades.  And if I wait another 70 days, Target probably won't have any more.  So I am planning to go to Target in a few minutes and buy out all they have left, and I am thinking this is OK because I will literally never be able to get these again.  I didn't set up this condition in my original list because it never occurred to me that it would be an issue.

I'm probably not the best one to respond, but I say go straight to Target. You are stocking up on an item that will no longer be available. That makes sense to me.

I find it SO difficult to use any kind of tracking (computer program, app, or even a paper food diary) for any weight loss purposes.  I start out great and maybe even last a week or so and then I usually quit.  So here's hoping you will be much more successful than I ever was!

It's my first time. I like planners and list so hopefully will like this!

I'm probably not the best one to respond, but I say go straight to Target. You are stocking up on an item that will no longer be available. That makes sense to me.

I already did.  Only $9 and some change for the last 6 they had.  (I don't feel too bad.  It is not an expensive item and these last forever.)  I may check Walgreens tomorrow.

I don't feel up to no buy any more right now. My heart is not in it. 

The no buy was great - I got my things organized so well, and enjoyed it. But after one month I am already burned out. In years past I could do a no buy for over four months. Maybe I can start a no buy again later. 

• Like 1

@@SneakyBurrito

I also broke my No Buy for this. I bought a Girl Scout Cookie set and the Disney Princess Party Pack online from Amazon and eBay.  I have used Lipsmackers since they first came out in 1974! (I believe that was the year) I never imagined that Lipsmackers would go away, but learning the news I decided it was worth an exception to my No Buy rules. I will be storing mine for future use.

I really wanted Vanilla, Dr. Pepper, Watermelon, and Strawberry but I didn't find a great price with free shipping on them. So sad to see a part of my childhood disappear.

• Like 1

I read today that they closed the Lip Smackers factory down. So, like, I won't be able to get these anymore. I have been addicted to the Dr. Pepper ones for more than two decades. And if I wait another 70 days, Target probably won't have any more. So I am planning to go to Target in a few minutes and buy out all they have left, and I am thinking this is OK because I will literally never be able to get these again. I didn't set up this condition in my original list because it never occurred to me that it would be an issue.

Omg, my bubble gum flavor!!! Ugh!!! Why? Edited by numbersmom