Days 31-40 of the 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like all of the past decluttering/capsule wardrobe/organizing posts I've read this month. So inspiring and an area of my life I would like to improve. 

I was so inspired by all that I read that I filled up a large shopping bag from items in my closet that I entitled, "why am I still keeping that?" I purged the obvious items so now I need to be a little more aggressive and thoughtful with the next decluttering. 

So my goal this 10 days (in addition to my no buy) is a complete decluttering of my closet (clothes, shoes, purses). 

I'm really happy with my no buy so far. I like seeing my stash become a little smaller. I had no idea how many moisturizers I own. I have dry skin and liberally moisturize my face, neck and decollete morning and evening so I've been using it up a faster than usual with the result that my skin is nicely hydrated (no flaking skin here, lol). 

I did cancel a sub today, yay me! I still have two subs, one is pre-paid for the better part of this year and the other makes my daughter happy so I'm content with these two coming in each month. We share them which is fun too. 

I also need to step up my flossing frequency, I just haaaaaate doing it.  Even though I am good about brushing my teeth and not drinking sodas I seem to get cavities more often then people with worse dental hygiene.  It's probably something I should focus on during this 10 day period too.
I get a strange satisfaction from getting past the "crime scene" sink phase if I haven't flossed for a while. 

Totally thrilled I've upped my skincare routine!!!  My cashier today triple-checked my ID when I bought wine (I'm 32!)  B)   :sunshine:   :wizard:

As far as flossing goes, I use the floss picks.  My sister in law, a dental hygienist, said they're ok to use IF I do the following steps (normally they're not OK because they can transfer bacteria between teeth).

After going between 2 teeth, wipe visible plaque off with a clean tissue and dip in Listerine.  Use a separate pick for each quadrant of the mouth (upper left & right, lower left & right).  At the very least, use a separate one for upper and lower teeth.

Totally thrilled I've upped my skincare routine!!! My cashier today triple-checked my ID when I bought wine (I'm 32!)
I usually just get irritated when that happens (I'm 37 and yeah, it still happens -- I haven't been out in the sun for any significant length of time for about 25 years, though).

I usually just get irritated when that happens (I'm 37 and yeah, it still happens -- I haven't been out in the sun for any significant length of time for about 25 years, though).
Same.  I'm 28 (so a bit younger than either of you) but I'll turn 29 in a week so I feel comfortable saying I'm almost 30, and I still get carded I'd say over 75% of the time.  That's all fine (if annoying) but what really really gets me about it is that people will not card my partner (who is a bit older at 31, but this has been going on for YEARS) but will card me.  And I honestly don't think he looks older than me, so it is a true mystery. This happens nearly every single time we go out together.

It will be an interesting 10 days. I have 2 sick kids, a conference I may (sick kids) and should attend, and my sister at the end of the 10 day period.

1. Paint my fingernails once.

2. Use masks at least 3 times.

3. Go through my sub boxes again and see if there are anymore I am willing to cancel.

4. Plan out when to have V-Day celebration. I have the V-day TFB that is to arrive around V-Day and a Groupon for our favorite restaurant.

5. Complete one craft box. I am behind on my craft subs and cancelled all of them until I am caught up. It's been too much with everything going on with my sister.

6. Reorganize items in the master bedroom.

7. Do not buy anything when my sister stresses me.

8. Work on finishing almost empties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally thrilled I've upped my skincare routine!!!  My cashier today triple-checked my ID when I bought wine (I'm 32!)  B)   :sunshine:   :wizard:

As far as flossing goes, I use the floss picks.  My sister in law, a dental hygienist, said they're ok to use IF I do the following steps (normally they're not OK because they can transfer bacteria between teeth).

After going between 2 teeth, wipe visible plaque off with a clean tissue and dip in Listerine.  Use a separate pick for each quadrant of the mouth (upper left & right, lower left & right).  At the very least, use a separate one for upper and lower teeth.
Thanks for the tips..I have some of those things and used one last night and one this morning. I figured it was better than not flossing at all, but I'll take your advice!

Haven't been really posting lately because I just got over being sick. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Stupid flu! But I'm feeling all better and ready for some new goals!

1. As always, DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

2. Wear makeup at least 5 days.

3. Paint nails at least once.

4. Use a mask at least twice.

5. Wash my brushes.

6. Keep focusing on the palette I'm panning. (I'm finally seeing a tiny dip in 1 of the shadows :w00t: !!!)

7. I've been slowly building myself up to this, but it is finally time: Go through my closet. I have so many clothes. I love having variety and a bunch of options to choose from, but I need to be realistic and give myself some tough love. I need to try EVERYTHING on. If I don't feel super duper awesome in it or if I really can't see myself wearing it, it will be donated.

Since I received my Muji acrylic containers today, I began organizing and inventorying my beauty products. *jawdrop* I had no idea how much ish I have. I have so many products, I'm embarrassed. Between 90 nail polishes, 50+ lipsticks (that seem to be the same 3 shades), 10+ highlighters, and the endless amounts of skincare products, I'm swimming in stuff. I really don't need to buy anything! Even after this no-buy is up, I'm gonna have to implement a "No buying until 10 products are used up" rule so I can continue to really make a dent in this stash. *hangs head in shame*

Please stay strong with your no buy! You can do it! Congrats on paying your charge card off! Sometimes we have setbacks but the main thing is to recognize it and stop it like you did with the returns issue. You can do this, we are rooting for you! I'm on a no buy myself and it's the hardest thing I've ever done so I know what you and many others are going through. We can do it!

I will say that this thread has helped me quite a bit as well with my no buy. Without it I would have caved many a time for sure.

Just yesterday, I was buying an after-shave at Sephora for my boyfriend, and spotted that darned Nars Narsissist palette. That has been a major want of mine, and I know it's LE. I picked it up, told myself I could have this one thing, started heading to the register, then thought ahead to 10 minutes into the future, when I would be full of remorse and guilt. I put it down. As much as I want it, I know there will be other highly covetable eyeshadow palettes to come. If it still happens to be around come April, I will get it.

Meanwhile, still staying strong. I WILL DO THIS!

You can do it!  Just stay strong.  Don't feel bad about the returns.  If it is stuff you were not using then you have to look at it like "Would I rather have money in my pocket or x item?"

I wish you much success on your journey and I know you can do it!  Utilize all your supports and you will be successful!

Hello everyone!  I don't know how the 100 days will go without the support I found here, but I'm going to keep it up as well as I can and will be sending support to you all from afar! Best of luck!

I love this low buy I have been doing as it means far more to me than just not buying things I don't need. It is about using my stash, getting organized, and using what I have instead of buying something new. Thank you for starting it, I love the idea

Back