Organic Food

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVA

Reaction score
What are your opinions on organic food. I was grocery shopping the other day and i noticed that organic food is just a few cents more expensive than regular food ..... i was wondering if u guys buy organic or regular and y?

i live in the state of Washington. in all honestly all they seem to have is organic food. i go to the local food co-op and get my veggies, fruit, bread, rice, some snacks, etc.... there. all locally grown and in all honesty i think organic food tates way way better (i got my parents addicted to it now cause they realized the taste difference).

but yeah like 3/4 of what i end up getting for food thats not eating out is organic.

o i agree that organic food probably taste better and is probably healthier, but some ppl don't think it's "real" food ... so i just wanted to hear wut u girls thought ...

I tried Organic food because of a book I read when I first started Weight Watchers called UltraPrevention by Dr's Mark Hyman and Liponis. It became a bit too costly, but it's very good for you. You can read more at Ultraprevention.com.

I've onli bought organic veggies and i think it's almost in the same price range as normal veggies .... It's still sittin in the fridge .. lol ... i don't usually eat raw veggies but i'm hopin organic taste better

edit * I'm so glad u girls agree that organice food is healthier ... cuz some1 told me that it has too much chemicals and wutnots in it

Only a few cents more? Not anywhere that I shop! Of course I buy all the groceries I can from Walmart since they are so much cheaper than anywhere else! And organic restaurants -- the prices I've heard are at least twice that of a comparable non-organic restaurant! Of course I do live in the Midwest, on average we're not quite as health-conscious and environment as the West Coast ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So to answer your question, no, I just eat regular food!

huh? I thought the purpose of organic food was that it didn't have herbicides or pesticides (for plants) or antibiotics and medicines (for meat), etc... Which sometimes worries me a little, I grew up on a cattle ranch and I wonder how healthy some of the free-range meat is -- just like people, we give our cattle vaccinations, and medicine when they get sick, so they will stay healthy! And which is better, eating veggies with pesticides or with bugs? (Well, I guess a lot of bugs are edible, lol) Just my two cents.... though I don't care if other people want to eat organic food, and I would try organic food if someone offered it to me.

Now that makes a lot of sense, seriously. I would love to hear your thoughts on this if you were to squeeze time into reading UltraPrevention. The fact that I've never seen that POV makes me wonder how credible the book is. For someone who has experience, I would strongly value your opinion.

girl_geek I thought the same, that the only difference was organic doesn't have herbicides or pesticides. Up here the cost for organic is way more than the other produce. I bought organic a couple of times and the stuff only lasted a couple of days before it went bad. I'd rather have non-organic and have it last almost a couple of weeks.

i mean .. the plants aren't grown naturally, like for bigger tomatoes they have to put something extra into it instead of just water ....

Well, I haven't researched it or anything, those are just my gut reactions when I hear people talk about organic food! It's just my logical mind kicking in, wondering how that could work without all the pesticides and medicines and such.... But I do know enough about raising cattle to know that the extra effort we put into caring for our cattle compared to our neighbors does lead to better cows at the sales (and thus better prices!) Not only do we give them all vaccinations and such, but we put a lot of effort into giving medicine to sick calves that other ranchers would just let die (or maybe give them one or two shots then quit trying). We have saved many calves by tracking them down in the pastures and giving them shots, or raising them ourselves in the barn as bottle calves, or even taking them to the vet for an emergency IV when they are close to death (though sadly, that doesn't save all of them.) Even though we are raising the cattle to eventually be butchered, we could never stand by and watch a sick calf or cow suffer and die! (Of course, on the flip side, that means that ranching is a 24/7/365 job for my parents with no vacation -- they have a hard time just getting away for a weekend, which is why we moved backed to Missouri. Now I can visit them easily on weekends, while hubby's parents are willing to fly out and see us a few times a year! Sorry that is off-topic!) Plus, by taking good care of the cattle, we have no need for growth hormones which I know is another controversial topic!

However, I've also heard about the studies that show the harmful effects of pesticides and such, so I do realize there are two sides of the story. I would have to research more to come to any definitive conclusions, so until then I will just be cheap and lazy and stick to my Walmart groceries ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would imagine they could use natural fertilizers like manure and still call it organic -- but if they are giving it artificial fertilizers how could they call it organic?

I would definitely buy organic more often, but where I live it is a lot MORE than just a few cents difference. I can find a regular head of lettuce for 99 cents and an organic one would be a few dollars more. I won't dispute the fact that its healthier for you and all that. But I don't understand why healthy stuff is more expensive than stuff with pesticides in it, one would think something natural would be cheaper since it doesn't have all those chemicals in it.

okie ... thx for all the comments ... i just went out and stock up the fridge w/some organic veggies .... they do taste a lot better

great points!

organic food by me is definitely more expensive. i eat "regular" food, too!

Organic here is quite a bit more expensive too and if you can afford it it's probably is better to buy this than the regular stuff. Though I dont think people should feel bad about eating non-organic, especially vegetables - the more the better! I only realised how much more organic poultry is here when I looked the other day - £8.50-9 for a whole chicken compared to the normal price of £3-3.50! I couldn't believe it :icon_eek:

Back