Organic Food

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to buy as much Organic food as possible.I know it is expensive but i don't mind paying extra if it means that the milk and butter i buy in natural and not full of hormones etc.I hjave definaltey noticed a massiver difference in the taste and quality of the food.Also i have noticed Organic food seems more real and filling,compared to the normal food available.

.. i agree ... somehow .. it taste a lot better ...

.. but all i buy is fruits/veggie, juice etc ... i don't think i would ever buy organic meat ... i don't know how much more it costs but .. i'm not realli a meat eater and i'm sure it would be a lot more expensive

Organic food where I live is really really expensive, there was a few weeks where I would go grocery shopping at our Wild Oats store and I bought organic chicken and bread and produce, I really liked it, although I was spending way out of my price range for groceries a month, bottom line, if I had the money I would shop strickly organic but for now I can't. I am though, growing my own tomatoes and thats fun.

I'll keep my comments non-rambly as best I can. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here's an exerpt that explains what Organic is:

What does “organic†mean?

Organic refers to the way agricultural products are grown and processed. Organic farming prohibits the use of toxic and persistent chemicals that can contaminate our water supplies. In the case of livestock, antibiotics and GMOs (genetically modified organisms) are prohibited.

Why does organic cost more?

The truth of the matter is that organic food doesn’t always cost more. Some items, such as coffee, cereal, bread, and even hamburger, may cost the same or even less than their conventional counterparts. And, as the demand for organics continues to grow, the cost will continue to come down. When the cost is higher, consider these facts:

• Organic farmers don’t receive federal subsidies like conventional farmers do. Therefore, the price of organic food reflects the true cost of growing.
  • The price of conventional food does not reflect the cost of environmental cleanups that we pay for through our tax dollars.
  • Organic farming is more labor and management intensive.
  • Organic farms are usually smaller than conventional farms and so do not benefit from the economies of scale that larger growers get.
Is organic food more nutritious than conventional food?

At this time, there is no definitive research that makes this claim. It is extremely difficult to conduct studies that would control the many variables that might affect nutrients, such as seeds, soil type, climate, postharvest handling, and crop variety.

However, some recently published studies in peer-reviewed journals have shown organic foods to have higher nutritional value. For example, researchers at the University of California, Davis, recently found that organic tomatoes had higher levels of phytochemicals and vitamin C than conventional tomatoes.

Is organic food chemical and pesticide free?

Certified organic foods are grown according to strict USDA standards. No toxic or persistent chemicals are allowed. Unfortunately, in this day and age, all foods—whether organic or not—are exposed to the agricultural chemicals that are now present in nearly all rain- and groundwater due to their overuse during the last 50 years. Organic growing practices, however, use growing techniques that are healthier for the planet and ultimately for your long-term health.

Here's the source http://www.organic.org/home/faq

In our house, we believe organic meats are a necessity. Growth hormones, imo, are part of the issue why children are developing faster, getting their periods earlier, etc.... We also believe pesticides are not good for the body and can causes disease and heavy metal damage. So, we try to buy organic as much as possible.

Studies have been done on fruits and vegetables and have shown these to be the highest in pesticides at the grocery stores:

Strawberries, bell peppers, spinach, cherries (US), peaches, cantaloupe (Mexican), celery, apples, appricots, green beans, grapes and cucumbers.

When we are low on funds, we make sure to purchase the above list organic, and the rest not.

This week my friend bought organic mac and cheese. It looked really gross. The cheese was like a light brownish-yellow color. she said it tasted really bad too. I usually like organic food but now i dont think i ll ever buy organic mac and cheese lol

they're not actually called organic, they're called "free range". i will admit, they have a different taste, but its not too bad. its worth knowing that its not stuffed with hormones and other who knows what.

For anyone who is interested in organic foods, read the book "Seeds of Deception" by Jeffrey M. Smith. I personally am more worried about genetically modified foods that anything else. They really scare me, there has been no "testing" to speak of. This is another reason to try to use organic as much as possible. I do use a lot of conventional produce but if I have a choice I will get organic.

I've always wanted to be one of those healthy, all organic eaters (lol). But they seem more expensive to me. All of the health food does.

I just started buying organic about 2 weeks ago at our local whole foods store - I was wanting to eliminate the 'dyes' and chemicals, etc...they put into allot of the reg. foods because my ds seems to do better on these types of foods (have no idea why - but I've heard & read - dyes in foods can do this to some ppl/kids).

Anyway - I don't go overbored w/it - prob. about 3/4 of our home food comes from organic - but when we eat out, go to parties, etc....we don't worry about it.

Everything we have bought/tried tastes great & my ds has also loves everything & will now actually eat - lol (this comes from a kid who wouln't eat ANYTHING).

I occaisionaly eat the organic stuff. A lot of the "regular" foods contain preservatives like hydrogenated oils which are so bad for you. I do buy organic spinach because it comes in a huge container for a lot less than the regular lettuce. I don't buy organic meat because the regular stuff is already pretty expensive.

Well, I'm a total health nut, so I buy organic as often as possible. I don't really think the differences in prices is too bad and it's worth the extra cash.

Yay for healthy eating!

Being from California, I worship Organic Food. Literally. There is absolutely no comparison in taste. Yeah, it is Real expensive. I try to buy it as often as I can, because I really dig the idea of not only great tasting food good for your body and soul, but I support the idea of organic farming. And darn, there are some extremely cute men in Whole Foods! LOL....:wavey::love5:

No, really, there are.

We do nothing but organic food at our house. When we eat out we don't worry about it but at home we strive to have a "safe haven" with food and make sure that everything we have is organic and natural. The use of antibiotics and growth hormones is what I'm against therefore we only buy organic range free chicken and the same for meat. Organic meat is really pricey so we don't eat it too often mostly just chicken. There is a day and night difference in the taste between organic milk, yogurt and butter compared to the non-organic type. Once I tasted organic milk I never went back to regular. Our son loves fruits and vegetables and because he eats so much of them at home I make sure they are all organic because I don't want him to get pesticides etc. There was a study done between kids who ate organic produce and the ones who didn't. The urine of non-organic produce eaters showed huge amounts of pesticides. I can't imagine that being a good thing. Also our son has been raised on the organic food that yes many times does taste very different however him and us are used to it. He knows that he can't get the "full of colorings and high fructose corn syrup" products that majority of kids get these days like soda, yoghurt, candy etc. All the colorins and high fructose corn syrup as well as hydrogenated oils have been linked with behavior problems in kids, diabetes and high cholesterol and obesity. I see the behavior difference in our child if he eats the typical kids birth day party food (chips, candy, cake) when we are at a party, he has very little control over himself and acts totally different. Per our pediatrician it's a very common behavior change usually seen in kids who have been raised with mostly "pure foods". Their body can't handle the chemically loaded foods because it's used to the pure food therefore the change in the child's body causes him to act up. For example we noticed this with the very popular kids Capri Sun drinks and now we only give it to him every once in a while. I don't believe in denying all the bad foods that are extremely popular amongs kids but we make sure that he only gets this type of junk food every once in a while and rest of the time he eats healthy.

i eat almost nothing but organic foods--the cost is more, true and i'm a college student who really shouldn't be spending so much on groceries but i'd rather have good health and better for me foods.

My mom's been having this organic craze lately, and I would say organic food costs alot more sometimes..at least it does where I live..say for example- a packet of celery at the normal supermarket costs ard 2 plus dollars, but at an organic store, it costs 8 over dollars :wassatt:

Great information, mzbees -- thanks for posting that!

And, katrink, I'm in complete agreement with you -- what freaks me out the most about NOT eating organic is all the genetically-engineered crap that's out there. It's really sad to me that someone came up with the idea of taking healthy foods like fruits and vegetables and messing about with their genetic structure. IMO, in this particular case, don't mess with Mother Nature!

Back