Job & Makeup Style

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello lovelies!

I need a bit of help with a dilemma I’m stuck in. I really love makeup and I love colourful (sometimes even bright) looks. At my last job, it wasn’t an issue at all although I worked at an attorney’s (which was quite serious and sober) – but I had my own little office and not too much contact with other people (and never with any clients). Also, my job wasn’t the most important one so I was hardly ever noticed anyway and no one cared for my looks. But now, I might get a better job as a PR/Marketing assistant in a great firm where my appearance will certainly be more important than it was.

Now, my dilemma: Since I love “colourful†colours, how could I do my makeup (esp. the eyes) so that I don’t have to ignore all my blues, purples, greens etc. without becoming the girl who is mainly noticed for her makeup? That’s what I don’t want. I didn’t care for people’s thoughts in the old firm because the job just sucked, but now it shall be different. Then, one the other hand, I’ve invested so much money in my collection (and still do) that I don’t want to limit myself to neutrals only. I also love neutrals, just not every day … It always depends on my mood which colours and styles I pick, and many are often a bit garish (although I never really perceive it like this, but my mum and dad say so …).

But do I have to give up on my beloved rainbow colours forever for a serious reputation? Or is there any solution? Any help or tips? I’d be forever grateful!!

Are your colors very bright? Like neon bright? IF that's the case, I'm not too sure. But if they aren't too bright, you can always just a lighter hand. And maybe no natural on the lips so it helps to tone everything down a bit.

You can always use your brights for the weekend!
smile.gif

Well brights are very in at the moment, so you could quite easily get away with it. Perhaps stick to using just one bright colour just on the lid. Kind of Lily Allan style ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Don't worry about being just known for your makeup - it will make you memorable!!!

xxx

Well brights are very in at the moment, so you could quite easily get away with it. Perhaps stick to using just one bright colour just on the lid. Kind of Lily Allan style ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Don't worry about being just known for your makeup - it will make you memorable!!!

xxx

I would stick to nuetrals at your new job. Maybe at least for a few months and then steadily wear something more noticeable and see what they think. Almost any color can be worn softly and made to look more "corporate"

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would stick to nuetrals at your new job. Maybe at least for a few months and then steadily wear something more noticeable and see what they think. Almost any color can be worn softly and made to look more "corporate" In total agreement!
I have the same dilemma.. I am sticking to browns, coppers, n golds until i am here for a few months.

Like aplsmash said, u can always wear your brights on the weekends.

This "starting phase" with neutrals and then building up on the colour sounds great, slowly but steadily. And I think I'll spend a couple of weekends experimenting how to do soft washes instead of really packing the colour on. It's good to learn new things, right
wink.gif

Thanks so much for your input!!

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would stick to nuetrals at your new job. Maybe at least for a few months and then steadily wear something more noticeable and see what they think. Almost any color can be worn softly and made to look more "corporate" I third that.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would stick to nuetrals at your new job. Maybe at least for a few months and then steadily wear something more noticeable and see what they think. Almost any color can be worn softly and made to look more "corporate" yep ! although i would certainly have a hard time, i so love bold eyes !

I agree with BeneBaby about the neutral look at first, but I think you could wear colour later on... Maybe try pastels (if you have them)? I know people at my work would make comments if I wore very strong colours, but soft pastels work very well. One day I had on Aire-de-Blu pigment coupled with Goldenaire, for example. Another day a soft pink with Parfait Amour lightly applied in the crease.

BTW, I hope you get that job!

I agree. I love drastic eyes, but I would stick to more neutral and pale colors for the first month or 2. You could even do a smokey eye look and just keep it toned down. I doubt your color will be a real issue as long as you use some common sense with it. It would probably just be wise to get established before you just jump out on the cliff. Also, look at the makeup of the other ladies your age and see how they are doing their makeup. Then you will know what has been acceptable for them and branch out from there.

If you want to look like a professional and be taken seriously, always stick to neutrals. Guaranteed you will be labeled by coworkers if you go into work wearing crazy colored eyeshadow, you don't want to draw that kind of attention if you are working in the corporate world. Enjoy your colored eye shadows on the weekend.

Originally Posted by CandyApple /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you want to look like a professional and be taken seriously, always stick to neutrals. Guaranteed you will be labeled by coworkers if you go into work wearing crazy colored eyeshadow, you don't want to draw that kind of attention if you are working in the corporate world. Enjoy your colored eye shadows on the weekend. I agree... I also like bright colors, but I only wear them on weekends. To work I wear neutrals or very subtle colors -- browns, bronzes, and soft greys mostly, but sometimes I'll also wear peach or pastel pink.
One good way to incorporate a little bit of color is to wear a colored eyeliner (or use your colored shadows as an eyeliner!) You can easy wear eyeliners in colors like navy, eggplant, and emerald green with a neutral shadow to add a little bit of color but still be very professional. And appearance isn't even as important in my job as yours -- I'm an engineer and almost never have any contact with clients! But, I still want to look professional so I can make a good impression on my managers and coworkers.

At the very least, start out with neutrals and see what other girls are wearing. If no one else is wearing colored eyeshadow, you probably don't want to be the only one in the office who does, even if you use subtle colors!

I work in a very conservative office... It actually states in the dress code, "natural makeup." So, I either wear neutrals, soft greys, or pastels, no e/s. It definitely sucks given the amount of e/s I have... "Nothing vibrant," I was told... WTF! LOL!

I would get a wide variety of "neutral" colors (if you don't have them already) so you at least feel like you are getting a choice instead of wearing the same things daily. Just practice a day look and a night look. If you see pics in magazines that you think would work for you, tear them out and keep them with your makeup so you can have a reference in the mornings when you are getting dressed.
smile.gif

I had a similar dilemma when i started my job. I would recommend for the first month going neutral. Observe co-workers and see what they wear. When you do add color, compliment it with neutrals. That way it doesn't look too showy. Good luck and congrats on the jobs!

we-ell... i think that you can wear colours without being too over the top. My job is reception so we can't wear anything crazy either.

I think start off with neutrals but work up, like other people said.

I wear colours, but they're not really bright or crazy - I've worn moss greens, neutrals, browns, greys, golds, bronzes, pinks ... basically there is a huuge range of colours that you can wear at first, and then when you're more comfortable you can introduce some more crazy colours
smile.gif

Thank you all soooo much for your comments, I appreciate them so much! This sounds like a good opportunity to enlarge my collection even further and get more soft colours!

Originally Posted by AngelaGM /img/forum/go_quote.gif It is a great excuse to go buy some more makeup=)
biggrin.gif
and now that you have a new job you also have the money for a nice haul ! lol

Back