Boron Nitride ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever experienced breakouts because of boron nitride? I'm wondering because I've been using my Lumiere FF foundation and it seems like I've been getting a new pimple everyday. Or maybe I'm just imagining it. I really hope not because I love my lumiere..

Hmm, I haven't really heard anyone compalined about Boron. Hopefully its not the boron that's giving you the pimples so you can continue using you fav MMU. I know the feeling, It sucks having to change one that you love
smile.gif

Could it be the brush you're using? Sometimes breakouts may be due to your brush needing to be cleaned, and not the mmu itself.

Originally Posted by citre /img/forum/go_quote.gif Has anyone here ever experienced breakouts because of boron nitride? I'm wondering because I've been using my Lumiere FF foundation and it seems like I've been getting a new pimple everyday. Or maybe I'm just imagining it. I really hope not because I love my lumiere.. It could also be the mica, silica, magnesium stearate or the squalane
frown.gif
I mention those because those are the most likely.

How long have you been using it? Sometimes our skin goes through a small period of purging and then balances out. May be worth it to see if that happens
biggrin.gif

what are the ingredients?

I used Melange okay, but when I tried the kaolin clay formula, I broke out like crazy! Does it contain kaolin clay?

You could try acne.org as they have a moderator who is a cosmetic chemist for one of the big brands. She may know.

In the formulas I'm using, the ingredients are:

Flawless Foundation:

premium grade serecite (colorless mica), titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxides, boron nitride, silica, magnesium stearate, squalane

Flawless Finish:

premium grade serecite (colorless mica), iron oxides, Magnesium stearate

I think I've used silica before, and I didn't have a problem with it. But I'm not really sure!

Other brands I've used and not had problems with:

Ocean Mist, Signature Minerals

I did use Bare minerals for awhile, and my skin did alright with it for awhile. I don't know if the bismuth in it started irritating my skin, or if it was the harsh brushes that BE has.

Hi,

Boron Nitride sounds a little creepy- but it's actually pretty nice for your skin, and it's a little bit anti-bacterial.

If I had to guess- it's probably the squalene-it's supposed to be gentle, but I know some girls that have problems with it.

Good luck,

Karen

I'm going to vote squalane too... OMC has magnesium stearate and silica microspheres in it. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with boron nitride except for around the eyes. And that was only one post I read on MMM a while back.

Do you use any of their products that contain oats? Some people have skin reactions to products containing wheat (such as hair conditioner), and oats which are sometimes called by their Latin name Avena Sativa.

I don't think the formula you're using listed oats, but maybe you used their concealer or finishing veil too?

I was just wondering if it can still be called mineral makeup in spite of the addition of organic compounds like squalene, avena sativa and tocopherol (vitamin E)? It seems to contradict the whole purpose of MMU as a hypoallergenic makeup made from 100% pure, crushed minerals.
smile.gif

I see what you mean Ananda, I just see it as MMU on steroids! LOL

Only time I don't see it as mineral makeup is when it has parabens, dyes, and other chemical ingredients.

I'm also going to vote for the squalane. I don't think the other ingredients are likely to give problems.

Hi Jen!

I've nothing against them, apart from the fact that some of them may not have the proven effect as claimed by their manufacturers, but I was wondering if additives had to be added to the MMU to preserve these compounds or to make them blend better with the minerals. Could these additives/preservatives be the culprit in the breakouts that some people complain about?
smile.gif

Thanks everybody! I'm betting its the squalene. I just got some samples from elegant minerals, so I'll try using it for awhile and see what happens!

I'm so glad you asked about the boron nitride, I liked the Luminess samples that I ordered but couldn't wear it just assuming it was due to that ingredient. Someone actually suggested purchasing squalane oil for my dry skin, maybe I'll pass on that one! Let us know how the elegant minerals work out for you.

Well, today I tried a "pressed" foundation that I made with squalane and my face has broken out.
frown.gif
I think I might have a problem with it as well.

Okay, now I'm pretty sure its the squalane. I stopped wearing my Lumiere foundation and have been wearing my Elegant Minerals samples (which I LOVE, btw!) for just 2 days, and my skin already seems to be doing better. No new pimples popped up!

I really like Boron Nitride as an ingredient, products that contain it feel exceptionally silky and long-lasting, and it is chemically inert, so it is not very likely to cause reactions. It is also molecularly a "cousin" of diamonds. However, I have serious concerns about its nano status, as some Boron powders used in cosmetics are nano in nature.
frown.gif
I wish companies would state if their ingredients are nano or not.

Back