Boron Nitride ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Qwerty, the ranges I've seen for BN are 0.5 to 50 microns. Some manufacturers offer a mix of BN with micronized TD. From what I understand, 6 microns is the preferred particle size for cosmetics. The highest coverage BN is the one that was 0.5 microns. Have you seen it smaller than that?

I have no idea how small the Boron Nitride particles are in general, most cosmetics companies do not state them.
frown.gif
I just go with my instincts, eg. I'd buy BN from The Conservatorie even though they don't describe the size of their Boron powders because they carry a warning about nano/micronized particles on their website. I did read that Boron Nitride is sold in nano sizes for cosmetic use. Here's a good list compiled by the EWG:

EWG Issues || Cosmetics, Chemicals, and Your Health

Nano? My goodness, I never thought I'd need a chem. degree to swoosh some makeup on my face but, I'm so grateful for the posters that have the advantage of knowing more of the chemical properties. Now what do we (or I in case I'm the only one in the dark!) need to know about nanos?

Boron nitride may offer some solar protection according to this piece of research: Softouch Boron Nitride Powder

Quote: "TiO2 is a higher absorber of UV but has little effect in the IR range. It is concluded that combining BN and TiO2 can give a more effective solar protection than by the use of TiO2 alone."

Originally Posted by cherish 66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nano? My goodness, I never thought I'd need a chem. degree to swoosh some makeup on my face but, I'm so grateful for the posters that have the advantage of knowing more of the chemical properties. Now what do we (or I in case I'm the only one in the dark!) need to know about nanos? Nano's and micro's are measurements which should properly be nanometers and micrometers if I'm getting it right. So you could have a meter and a kilometer is 1000 meters. A micrometer is 10^-6 meters which means there are 1,000,000 micrometers in a meter, really small. Now a nanometer is 10^-9 meters so there are 1,000,000,000 nanometers in a meter, much much smaller. I don't really have any knowledge regarding it's harmful effects but apparently it's not good to have makeup with particles that are that small. In conclusion nano's are a thousand times smaller than microns. Hope that helped and somebody understood me lol.

Back