No Poo Method

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reading up on this for a few days now.

I tried it last night, I washed my scalp with baking soda. I was unsure because some sites tell you to mix 1 tbsp of baking soda with 1 cup of water and use this to wash your scalp maybe once to twice a week. Following with an ACV rinse of 1/4 cup of ACV to 1 cup of water.

Other sites tell you just to condition the hair and use water to clean the scalp.

I found it difficult to wash the scalp last night with my mixture trying to just get the scalp and not my hair. I ended up putting some baking soda on my head and massaging it in. When I jumped in the shower my hair felt like straw and I thought what have I done but it was silky after the ACV rinse.

Has anyone else tried this and what method do you use and how were your results?
bath.gif

I only no poo with conditioner. I just apply it to my hair, massage my hair a if I was washing it and then rinse.

Originally Posted by Noir Sakura /img/forum/go_quote.gif I only no poo with conditioner. I just apply it to my hair, massage my hair a if I was washing it and then rinse. Yes, this is what I do too. I don't use shampoo. I also do intensive soaks with various natural ingerdients before I condition it out in the wash.

I've been using this method now for a good while, and let my say my hair is so much healthier now! I use Loraine Massey's products for my no poo routine. Here's what I do:

Because her products are a little on the expensive side, I 'wash' my hair with DevaCurl's NoPoo, and I condition with DevaCurl's One Condition every 2-3 days. For the days in between 'washes', I usually just rinse my hair with Aussie Moist, or Treseme Vitamin Enriched Color conditioner. Whenever I apply the no-poo, one condition, Aussie Moist, or whatever I'm using, I always put the product into my left hand, and I'll get some onto my right hand fingertips and apply it directly to my scalp and massage it in, section by section: the nape of my neck, center of my head, top, left, right, and so on. Massaging it in a circular motion (no matter what product your using) helps to lift dirt and cleanse the scalp (plus it feels great on your head!) Then gently rinse your hair out. It's best to rinse your hair out with cool or even cold water, because it makes your hair shiny!

If conditioner by itself doesn't do the trick and you don't want to spend $14 each on bottles of DevaChan products, you can try mixing a scrub with your conditioner to help remover dirt and buildup from your hair. You can mix half conditioner and half brown sugar, but I found that mixing conditioner with Queen Helen's Oatmeal Scrub works great too!

Is your hair curly or straight? I have curly hair, therefore I use Devacurl. But Devachan does make some no poo for straight and colored hair! They even have a "Low Poo" 'condtioner' that gives you that OOMPH! if you're hair needs a little more help to be cleansed. You can check out Devachan's products here: Devachansalon DevaCare

Alot of what I learned about the no poo method came from this website:

Got curl? the curly girl page

If you don't have curly hair, they still have tips for straight hair here:

Straight Hair Care

I hope all this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

xx Megan

I have never heard of this....someone explain the benefits of not shampooing your hair. I am not happy with my haircarfe and this sounds interesting...

I have waist length hair that USED to be really thick. I have noticed I loose a lot of hair in the shower. I don't use heat on my hair very often, and actually don't brush it much. I don't know what is causing the breakage or hair loss...could it be shampoo?? I only shampoo 1-2 a week

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have never heard of this....someone explain the benefits of not shampooing your hair. I am not happy with my haircarfe and this sounds interesting...
I have waist length hair that USED to be really thick. I have noticed I loose a lot of hair in the shower. I don't use heat on my hair very often, and actually don't brush it much. I don't know what is causing the breakage or hair loss...could it be shampoo?? I only shampoo 1-2 a week

Many shampoos contain sulfates which ravage the hair shaft after time, so if you do have long hair, you will see how it has affected your hair towards the lower parts (color, texture, behavior changes). Some people use less shampoo, water it down, or just completely cut it out of their hair care.
It is not that big a deal for people who cut their hair shoulder length and shorter regularly, but for those who go longer, it is important not to strip the hair of the natural sebum it needs to keep in top shape, especially to the oldest parts of the hair. All the natural oils we may put on our hair is good, but nothing is quite like the natural stuff we produce. Longhaired folks are not supposed to shampoo the whole length, just the at the roots, and then let the suds run down.

Ironically, the ingredients they put in shampoo to make your hair rinse clean... they put it in conditioners too! This is what makes CO washing (conditioner only) possible. It may not work for everyone, but for those wishing to preserve the pristine condition for the length of their hair, this can work wonderfully well, as it rinses away foreign products, but not natural sebum.

I got turned onto Conditioner only washes. I cant remember the last time I used shampoo on my hair. All my shampoos are now body washes...::sigh::.I wish I had long hair. but at least its getting healthier so..cant complain.

Well I have waist length hair and it's in okay condition. It could be better, so I'm gonna try this!!

Never heard of this, but it sounds interesting. I have known for a while that shampooing was bad for your hair...but that's about it.

I want to know...i heard that it's good NOT to wash your hair. Has anyone ever NOT washed their hair and have good results?

It seems to be a bit..well too organic for my tastes..but

there are a lot of websites that say to have nice and shiny hair, to stay away from shampoo as it is a detergent which will strip the natural oils in your hair.

Okay..makes sense...but certain sites are recommending either washing your hair once every 6 weeks with shampoo but the rest of the time, just use plain warm water to rinse your hair.

hmm..i wonder if dry shampooing is better then?

Actually Nox turned me on to the "No Poo" method of not shampooing my hair. There is a thread dedicated to it here in the hair forum...

From experience...I have not been shampooing, just a bit on the very top of my hair. My hair was never looked shinier and healthier. People have literally been asking me if it's a wig!!

ohh is there? would you know the name of the forum?

so, do you never shampoo the top of your head? you've been doing for how long?

would you consider not shampooing the rest of your hair?

Here is the the thread...

https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f13...hod-65665.html

I shampoo the very top only. My bangs get oily, so thats really all I wash. I don't wash the bottom of my hair at all. I have waist length hair and it was getting very broken and dry before I quit shampooing. I should say I don't use product on my hair, so it doesn't really get dirty.

wow, down to your waist. I knew it was long but didn't know it was that long. Your hair is so pretty btw =)

Anyway...ahh okay..makes a bit of sense to wash poo with your scalp..i was a bit confuzzled there but at the same time i'm kinda zoning in and out...hehe

very interesting...i just read that thread. I am just scared my hair is too oily to not wash it at all. I do however wash just the top and let the suds run down when i rinse my hair (Nox had mentioned that in the thread). So Manders how do you keep your hair from stinking??? I too have waist length hair and everyone thinks they can touch my hair with their grubby hands

lol im so immatre, i laugh each time i read "no poo" lol

im gonna try it starting now, just using very little and only the scalp

Back