No Poo Method

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jessica-Ann...Well I don 't use any product in my hair. I don't touch my hair often and I don't smoke or anything. I wash the top of my hair once a week. In between washings, like if it gets oily or unmanageable I use Pssst Dry Shampoo. You can get it for about $5 at any drugstore. You spray it onto your hair, it's similar to a powder. It absorbs the oil and has a kinda fresh smell. Thats about all I do to my hair these days. I never blowdry, I do straighten sometimes. Seriously my hair looks better than ever.

Awesome thread, I think i'll adopt this routine and see how it works out.

i cant get dry shampoo
frown.gif

I am on day 2 and it's incredibly hard not to shampoo. On the other hand, my hair looks very shiny and nice!
biggrin.gif

eeeeeeeeeeeeh! after reading this im so tempted to give up on shampoo...but my hair is so fine and so thin i know it would be stuck to my head and greasey.its greasey 10 hours after i shower....but id love to give up shampoo if i could. anyone have fine hair and have had success?

I wanna know too. My fine hair gets oily sooooooo fast, but I feel like I am making it worse my shampooing it soo much.

I have fine hair but high density (meaning a lot of it), not having any problems... actually I noticed my hair seems to be more full/volume etc. for the oil, I have used dry shampoo in some areas.

I've been told this. Since I got locs, my hair dresser told me to stop using shampoos and use herbal rinses instead... I thought she was mad.

I think I'm gonna give it a go. But you guys know locs are THE FIRST to give off a smell...

Originally Posted by bejb1011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif eeeeeeeeeeeeh! after reading this im so tempted to give up on shampoo...but my hair is so fine and so thin i know it would be stuck to my head and greasey.its greasey 10 hours after i shower....but id love to give up shampoo if i could. anyone have fine hair and have had success? I have fine thin hair but lots of it. I only condition my hair maybe twice a year when i visit the hairdresser and then she comments on it being like silk due to the conditioner.

Originally Posted by bejb1011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif eeeeeeeeeeeeh! after reading this im so tempted to give up on shampoo...but my hair is so fine and so thin i know it would be stuck to my head and greasey.its greasey 10 hours after i shower....but id love to give up shampoo if i could. anyone have fine hair and have had success? Originally Posted by Liz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i cant get dry shampoo
frown.gif
Try Shoppers drug mart Kiloran or Trade Secrets

I tried conditioner-only wash, but it didn't work for me. I have a greasy scalp so I have to use shampoo to remove the oils. I don't always put additional shampoo on the rest of my hair; I just let the shampoo wash down the length of my hair when I'm rinsing.

I have short DRY hair. I am interested in trying conditioner only washing. I don't get oily hair ever, so would this work for me and how often would I need to shampoo my hair? So from what I understand you just get your hair wet put conditioner on it, wait a few mins and rinse it out....that's it correct? I'm going to give this a try! will any conditioner work?

I'm curious for the people who have tried this no-poo method and liked it... what were you doing before?? When you shampooed your hair were you shampooing it from root to tip and now you're not at all? Or were you just shampooing the roots before?

I just shampoo the roots of my hair and then condition from just below the roots to the tips and have no problems with my hair using this method.

i was washing my hair weekly with shampoo and then slathering it in conditioner to replace the moisture. now i use a shampoo about once a month and only about a quarter size drop for my entire head. and that's only when i have product buildup. this is the process i use:

wet my hair in the shower

apply conditioner (i use pantene prov for woc)

work through to detangle

comb through with an afro or wide tooth comb

baggie my hair while i finish my shower

rinse hair leaving just a bit of conditioner to control frizz.

i never brush or towel dry my hair. african american hair is known for being dry, brittle and prone to breakage. this is generally from a lack of moisture. i think that's why this method seems to work so well.

i first tried this method sometime last year in november and it was just a couple weeks ago that my hair is beginning to normalize. It took a long while for the oiliness to go away and had to constantly put my hair up so i didn't look like a grease monkey when i did go out.

I have reasonably thick hair, so i'm not sure if that had something to do with it. Now, i enjoy the fact that i don't have to spend money on shampoo's now and my hair is much healthier and im digging it.

I haven't used any baking soda or vinegar from the time i started til now. I just went cold turkey. I guess i didn't really see the point.

I do wash my hair with plain water every couple days and it works for me.

I also noticed that i don't get white flakes in my hair anymore. No, it's not dandruff but just a really sensitive and dry scalp.

I finally tried this today. I sent my dh out to get VO5 tea therapy, but they didn't have any so I had him Get Suave berry smoothie. I really like the way it has made my hair look. At first I wasn't so sure, but now I really like it. I went ahead and bought some WEN by Chaz Dean in Hydrating Fig. I plan to alternate the two of them. I bought up a bunch of Liter bottles of Biolage shampoo and conditioning balm, but I don't think I'll be using them any more. I hate that I spent so much on them. all together about $150.00 :-(

Here is a great "article" about going "no poo" and gives the reasons why - some great info here. Also gives the recipe for the baking soda "shampoo" and recommends using ACV (a MUT favorite here) for a conditioning rinse. The author also lists recipes for making your own hair styling products:

babyslime: Info: Shampoo Free

I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to. I know over 20 yrs ago I heard you shouldn't wash your hair every day so I try not to. I know shampoo is drying and for a while, I was using Creme of Nature shampoo (doesn't have the sulfates) but had to stop because the only way to get it was online. I'm glad to read everyone's opinions about "no poo" here, it's made me want to try it myself.

I shampoo every other day. On the off days I use fill a jar with one cup water, one table spoon of vinegar, one tablespoon of baking soda and a dollop of hair conditioner. Shake it up and use it like shampoo. Works great!

Originally Posted by kayleigh83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm curious for the people who have tried this no-poo method and liked it... what were you doing before?? When you shampooed your hair were you shampooing it from root to tip and now you're not at all? Or were you just shampooing the roots before?
I just shampoo the roots of my hair and then condition from just below the roots to the tips and have no problems with my hair using this method.

This is how I do mine as well. I've been doing it that way for about a month. I really haven't noticed a difference yet. I try to go 2 days before I wash my hair again (exp: shampoo & condish on Monday, Tues & Wed I put my hair in a hair cap when I shower, then I shampoo & condish on Thurs). I do brush my hair to get the natural oils to the ends of my hair. I also roll in smooth curlers and use an ionic soft bonnet hair dryer about once a week (trying to get to 2/week).

My hair is about halfway down my back (right below where my bra hooks). I am seriously thinking of going blonde this weekend. I have dark brown now, and have not colored for over 3 months. I am just now seeing a few grays at the top and I can't stand it!

Back