How often do you clean your make-up brushes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have heard one should clean their make-up brushes weekly to avoid bacteria and oil which could lead to acne and blemishes. Brushes can be washed out using water and a mild soap.

i clean them when they stop feeling soft against my skin.

heh and i use dish soap for my foundation brush and it gets it pretty clean.

I don't know if this is "good" for my brush (Dior), but it certainly cleans it very well and my brush is still in excellent shape.

Once a week with MAC Brush Cleanser. I actually use a 50/50 solution of the brush cleanser and water. Although, I've been told my the MA at MAC, I really should clean my brushes once a month with baby shampoo to condition them. So, that will get implemented ASAP!

i try to do mine at least once a week though sometime si get lazy and forget. I used to use mac brush cleanser but use baby shampoo now

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Although, I've been told my the MA at MAC, I really should clean my brushes once a month with baby shampoo to condition them. Thanks for this tip!!

Originally Posted by acneXpert /img/forum/go_quote.gif Isn't dish soap supposed to be hard? Why don't you try some shampoo or a mild soap Dish soaps come in lots of different strengths. I've heard Palmolive works great since it has a conditioner in it for your hands thats good for the brush. Also you do need some sort of detergent for lipstick brushes. I don't think the alcohol cleaners alone get my lip brushes clean. I use a bit of Ecover cause that's what we have in the house, works great and breaks up the lisptick.

hmm i just keep buyin new burshes...but then again i dont use lip brushes or hmm foundation i dont even wear...i have like 3 burshes for my eyes but once it gets weird on me i chuck it out...it requires to much effort to actually clean them haha lazy i kno

lol, i suppose that can work too, but i could never ever consider to throw away a MAC brush, lol, i love mine too much. i try to wash my brushes every week, at least those i use often. for the others, once a month.

i've been washing them more routinely lately. i spray clean (i was using Japonesque Parian Spirit, but recently switched to Ulta's brand- but the Japonesque one is better, in my opinion) my foundation, blush, powder, lipstick and eyeshadow after every time i use it and wash once a week. i usually use a clear veggie glycerin soap, swipe it across until the colors have dissolved out. and then rinse.and dry by swiping across a terry cloth hand towel, then hand reshape. either that or baby shampoo.

i spray my big bronzer every time after use, and wash maybe once a month- but when i wash that- it gets the royal treatment. I use Klorane Mink Oil Shampoo.

I wash my brushes every time they get used and always use a clean brush when I do my makeup... To really deep shampoo you can use a baby shampoo, and even put some color safe conditioner on them every now and then to condition the hair...or you can use a brush cleaner and every now and then do the conditioner afterwards.

If you have bad acne issues, I would use the brush cleaner since it has a touch of alcohol to help disinfect the brushes when you clean them. Baby shampoo doesn't guarantee that you disinfect, it just cleans the bristles. Make sure to use conditioner every now and then on the brushes so that they are less likely to have breakage of bristles.

I rinse my brushes after each use, mostly because I always use different, bright colors which would interfere with the next color I'm applying. I do the whole shampoo-deep-cleaning thing about once a week.

My blush and powder brushes get cleaned once a week and my foundation, concealer and kabuki brushes get cleaned after every use.

Brushes for powders weekly and i really try to clean my liquid brushes daily if not every other day.

Back