Over 40 Skin

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope I'm not overstepping myself, but I didn't see a thread, but do wonder what women over 40 (I'll be 48 this month) would use in the arena of mineral makeup. I used BE and it was itchy on my skin. I am curious what others my age use.

Thanks

~boopie~

I really like Silk Naturals for just about everything - plus The She Space for eye shadow (you can never have too many colours....). And I'm addicted to sarafina.biz for skincare.

I think you just need to order samples from different companies. What works great on one person's skin isn't a guarantee that it will work great on another person's skin. Everyone is different.

Originally Posted by boopie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hope I'm not overstepping myself, but I didn't see a thread, but do wonder what women over 40 (I'll be 48 this month) would use in the arena of mineral makeup. I use BE and it was itchy on my skin. I am curious what others my age use.
Thanks

~boopie~

Hi boopie, are you referring to bare minerals makeup? i use that bare escentuals, and I love them, I cant live without it!! how are the eye makeup? i am curious about them, thanks.

I am 49 and use quite a few different makeups, I do use a primer though, tht helps with all of them and I always use a finishing powder, just make sure it doesnt look like you have to much on~~

Thanks for the info guys; I sure do appreciate it. I think I'll try samples from companies; there's so many listed in the forum that I'll just work my way down the list!

And, yes it was Bare Escentials that I used, and it made my face itch. It surely would be a good idea for me to try samples first before investing the money.

Thanks again everyone!

Hello Boopie!

I am fighting the forties, too! I just ordered samples from Meow and Ocean Mist. Ocean Mist only charges shipping for new customers... I am definitely feeling warm fuzzies for that! I think I'll also order Monave, since I see it recommended on the most threads. I tried Sheer Cover a couple of years ago and was not satisfied, so I did not keep trying MMUs. I am trying them again and I'll let you know if I have success. I am truly hoping for one to be my HG! Keep your fingers crossed that MMU really helps us to look GREAT!

I'm 48 and after trying about 15 different brands I've been very pleased with Suncats it seems more natural to me and that is where I'm at these days. BE made me itch something terrible! Some of the others have too with other indg. then bismuth. Suncats using high quality indg. and not alot of them.

I'm glad you found what works for you sbs4536. Are you saying the bismuth is what you think made you itch? That's what BE & Bare Minerals did (are those the same?)

Anyways, like fightingforty, I took the members advice and ordered some samples; ordered from Silk Naturals, Elegant Minerals and Everyday Minerals. Next week, I'll order a couple more, including Ocean Mist. I'm exited about it!

Yes the bismuth made me itch but other ingredients can have reactions to your skin and sometimes it is hard to figure out what is brothering it. I've tired alot of different brands and have found the ones with the least indg. works better for me less to react too. If you have time check out Suncats Shelley the owner is in our age range and very helpful. I was using Lumiere for sometime but find I like suncats better. I've tried everyday minerals but didn't like the coverage. Sampling is the best way to go! Let us know what you find.

Originally Posted by boopie /img/forum/go_quote.gif And, yes it was Bare Escentials that I used, and it made my face itch. Then you probably should sample from companies that don't put Bismuth Oxychloride in their mineral foundation. It's a known skin irritatant for many people and Bare Essentials uses that in theirs.

Thanks! I'll be looking into Suncats soon! Thanks for the info on Bismuth Oxychloride laurie
smile.gif

I use my own minerals but also find that more natural skincare helps tremendously too. I'll be 40 next month and I still get carded sometimes since you are supposed to look 27 in the cashier's opinion. Emu oil is my goddess- I was just mentioning on my blog how the "11" between my brows has diminished in the 6 months I've been using strictly emu oil as moisturizer. I think sampling is the best route because skin is so different and there are many great companies out there. Just sounds like you definitely need to stay away from those with Bismuth Oxychloride. (I wore BE for years and then had serious reaction last winter when my skin got drier- that's how I got on this journey to better things.)

Originally Posted by Hoozey /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use my own minerals but also find that more natural skincare helps tremendously too. I'll be 40 next month and I still get carded sometimes since you are supposed to look 27 in the cashier's opinion. Emu oil is my goddess- I was just mentioning on my blog how the "11" between my brows has diminished in the 6 months I've been using strictly emu oil as moisturizer. I think sampling is the best route because skin is so different and there are many great companies out there. Just sounds like you definitely need to stay away from those with Bismuth Oxychloride. (I wore BE for years and then had serious reaction last winter when my skin got drier- that's how I got on this journey to better things.) Where do you get your Emu Oil? I started doing a google on this, and the possiblities for purchase are endless! Please help, as what I read it would be a great product to incorporate in my daily routine. How do you use it in your daily routine?

Originally Posted by sbs4536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes the bismuth made me itch but other ingredients can have reactions to your skin and sometimes it is hard to figure out what is brothering it. I've tired alot of different brands and have found the ones with the least indg. works better for me less to react too. If you have time check out Suncats Shelley the owner is in our age range and very helpful. I was using Lumiere for sometime but find I like suncats better. I've tried everyday minerals but didn't like the coverage. Sampling is the best way to go! Let us know what you find. Since I don't have 50 posts, I cannot send a pm; can you send me a pm as to the website for Suncats please. I did a google but came up empty handed. Thanks!

Originally Posted by boopie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Where do you get your Emu Oil? I started doing a google on this, and the possiblities for purchase are endless! Please help, as what I read it would be a great product to incorporate in my daily routine. How do you use it in your daily routine? I bought my first emu oil from Garden Of Wisdom but I know of several places that ladies routinely buy it from. I love it so much that I bought an 8 oz. bottle from Snowdrift Farm (a soap supply place) I got my hubby hooked on it too and he resists most things that I say are good for him. As far as how I use. I bought some flip top bottles at Walmart for 50 cents so I can dispense just a drop of two into the palm of my hand. Then I add some water and kind of mix in hand and apply to face. For drier areas (like under eyes) I will apply a little more straight emu oil before bed.

I buy my emu oil at the health food store near me. It is excellant. Oils really are the way to go. And much less expensive than some of those creams from the drugstore or malls with lots of chemicals. I am not saying emu is cheap just alot less expensive.

I have really been happy with my skin since i strted using minerals and oils.

I've been using PurelyCosmetics, and I'm 48. They just came out with a cream foundation too that's supposed to be good for normal-dry skin, and won't accentuate wrinkles like many MMU can do just by their very nature. I ordered it yesterday; I'll let you know what I think when it comes.

Back