How to cut your own side bangs?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey all! i was wondering if anyone knew how to cut their own side bangs. my hair is in pretty good shape, so i don't need to go get it cut, but i used to have side bangs, and i'd like to know how to cut my own. my old ones were kind of thick, but i'd like my new ones to be a little wispier, kind of like this, except longer and not as straight-across, if you get what i mean???

hilaryduff16eq9.jpg

i couldn't really find a good example of what i wanted. here's me and my current hair:

Picture072.jpg

Sometimes I trim my side swept bangs by holding the scissors vertically, like in this video. It helps to make it wispier looking:

YouTube - Style Studio: How to Trim Your Bangs

My friend likes to use a razor to thin her bangs so they look wispy. She just holds her bangs in the direction she wants them to sweep, holds the razor around the middle of the bangs and pulls down a bit. But the razor goes behind your bangs, not the front. Kind of confusing, I know. But it's great if you bangs are too thick.

Try to cut your bangs dry, because if you cut it while wet, you might find that they are too short once they dry!

Oh, sorry! I didn't notice that they disabled embedding for that video. I edited the post with the direct link.

It only costs like 10.00 in a salon to have your bangs done. Totally worth it to have a professional do it. I am a stylist and have seen way too many disasters done by clients trying to cut their own bangs. Esp if you are trying to do a "sweep"

PS You have a great face shape for them!

my hair isn't really styled, i just blow-dried my bangs and let the rest of my hair dry naturally, so these aren't the BEST pics.

hair down

Picture075.jpg

hair up in a messy bun

Picture076.jpg

pics that are a little mo' better. =)

Picture077.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Very Very Cute! Were they hard to do?

I've been wanting side swept bangs for a long while now... just don't have the guts to do it. I haven't had bangs since I was 4 years old.

They look really great on you, and wow you have such an amazing face shape and bone structure! With your eyes, you remind me of Cameron Diaz!

thank you! it really wasn't hard to do at all! i had a very clear idea of what i wanted. i think it might have been easier for me, too, because i already had them, but they were just grown out. i just had to "shape" them, i guess.

Wow great job cutting your bangs! They look so cute! My side bangs are just below my eyebrow now and I'm trying to grow them a bit longer so I can trim them into a style if that makes sense because right now they're just there lol The only problem I have is I try and grow them a little longer but I end up going scissor happy and cutting them again when they get to that awkward length where they just go in your eye all the time
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Ashley /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sometimes I trim my side swept bangs by holding the scissors vertically, like in this video. It helps to make it wispier looking:
YouTube - Style Studio: How to Trim Your Bangs

My friend likes to use a razor to thin her bangs so they look wispy. She just holds her bangs in the direction she wants them to sweep, holds the razor around the middle of the bangs and pulls down a bit. But the razor goes behind your bangs, not the front. Kind of confusing, I know. But it's great if you bangs are too thick.

Try to cut your bangs dry, because if you cut it while wet, you might find that they are too short once they dry!

Agree!Here's another video that might help

YouTube - Cutting Side Swept Fringe (Bangs)

They look really good for doing them yourself! I say take a bit more off would look even better, but they're fine the way they are now.

wow great job! It's about time to get mine styled but I just don't have the guts to do it myself!"

I have the side swept style too and since I work out of town, the only day I can see my stylist is on Sat, and she is usually booked solid! She works me in when she can, but I don't want to wait 2 hrs for a bang trim! I have to schedule cuts and color at least 2 weeks in advance, so she told me to use thinning shears or texturizing shears held at an angle to trim up. If you use the thinning shears, just remember that it does not cut all of the hair at once, it only cuts a layer, so you have to keep snipping at it till it is all about the same length. I do it all of the time and there is no blunt edges, it blends really well!

good job! My roomate in college cut bangs for me and her one time.... it was interesting haha

Back