How to get rid of the itchies.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really think that this will help many if not all of you out there who suffer with mineral makeup itchies when it gets warm.

July 4 was the big and final test for me. For the past few days before the 4 I've been using a sponge to apply my mineral makeup and applying it with only a sponge. No brush or buffing. I've applied it both dry and wet and the results have been the same. No itching when I begin to perspire!

This is great news for me and I hope that it helps someone out there as much as it has me.

The 4 was super hot and I was at an outdoor party all day and night. I can't tell you how much I perspired but one notable thing, I never itched. In the middle of the day I began asking a few women who I knew wore mineral makeup if they ever itched when they became warm. One asked me immediately "how did you know" I explained that I do. I told her about my method of applying with a damp sponge and not using a brush and she is eager to try this herself.

I am so glad you're having success with that method.
smile.gif

Thank you. I wasn't a wet application person until the past week when with the heat and being outdoors I noticed that no itchies for the first time ever. I've since noticed that it's not the wet that does it but the not using a brush and using a sponge to apply instead. Even using my synthetic sponges would later result in itching if I got warm and perspired but no itching at all with just using a sponge. The big benefit of the wet is that my foundation really lasted all day even with my constant dabbing from perspiration.

Wow, that's a great news, thanks for sharing!!
smile.gif

Can you explain in detail how to apply MMU with a sponge? Because I've use a wet sponge before, trying to get ride of the powdery look, but I can't acheive a even application, the powders cake up in the sponge and on my face.

Originally Posted by Joliefilleici /img/forum/go_quote.gif I really think that this will help many if not all of you out there who suffer with mineral makeup itchies when it gets warm.
July 4 was the big and final test for me. For the past few days before the 4 I've been using a sponge to apply my mineral makeup and applying it with only a sponge. No brush or buffing. I've applied it both dry and wet and the results have been the same. No itching when I begin to perspire!

This is great news for me and I hope that it helps someone out there as much as it has me.

The 4 was super hot and I was at an outdoor party all day and night. I can't tell you how much I perspired but one notable thing, I never itched. In the middle of the day I began asking a few women who I knew wore mineral makeup if they ever itched when they became warm. One asked me immediately "how did you know" I explained that I do. I told her about my method of applying with a damp sponge and not using a brush and she is eager to try this herself.

HI jolie,,,

I am interestd in doing this but than how much of foundie is needed for the sponge so that my face does not look like a clown with lumps here and there. Pls if can post a pic of that sponge, I am not sure what kind of sponge is suitable for the application. You may want to pm if its not possible here..am not sure.

Hope to hear from you.

thks emma

I'm interested in seeing your sponge too. I've heard a lot about wet application but doesn't it feel heavy or cakey or pore-clogging?

I agree that not using a brush and using a sponge instead whether wet or dry really does stop (at least it has for me too) the itching sensation.

A flock sponge like the ones that EDM/Lumiere/Pure Luxe carry

or the Cellulose sponges like EDM carries work great.

Cosmetic Cellulose Sponge

Here's a link to the EDM site that has both sponges at really cheap prices.

https://www.everydayminerals.com/ind...d=20&Itemid=46

Originally Posted by HollyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree that not using a brush and using a sponge instead whether wet or dry really does stop (at least it has for me too) the itching sensation.
A flock sponge like the ones that EDM/Lumiere/Pure Luxe carry

or the Cellulose sponges like EDM carries work great.

Cosmetic Cellulose Sponge

Here's a link to the EDM site that has both sponges at really cheap prices.

https://www.everydayminerals.com/ind...d=20&Itemid=46

Hi Holly,
thanks so much for the link. I can find those sponges in singapore..yeayyyyyyy. But how much foundies is needed when I use the sponges. I pick up abit., tab or pick up and use strait on the face. Haha hope you understand what I am asking?

TIA

Emma

Reading about this is tempting me to change my entire way of doing my makeup especially with hot temperatures here. If no itching is the payoff then it's worth the extra effort and time.

Here's a video on how to apply foundation wet using a brush and water in a spray bottle.

YouTube - Make it WET: How to apply your mineral foundation wet!!

Another one showing you roughly how much foundation she uses with wet application.

Sorry neither of these tutorial's uses the sponge method but ...

YouTube - TUTORIAL:: Mineral Makeup Wet

Originally Posted by emmy2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Holly,
thanks so much for the link. I can find those sponges in singapore..yeayyyyyyy. But how much foundies is needed when I use the sponges. I pick up abit., tab or pick up and use strait on the face. Haha hope you understand what I am asking?

TIA

Emma

I use more foundation for dry application with a brush than I see people use on TV infomercials so I'm not sure if I'm the right person to ask.but I sprinkle out rougly the size of a nickle and then I smooth half of that onto my dampened sponge and apply to half of my face. I then use the other half for the other side of my face. With some brands I'll usually wind up adding about that much more to finish off the entire face evenly.

HTH
yaya.gif

Here's a great tutorial done by a makeup artist on the wet sponge application and she includes how much foundation she uses and how to apply it to the sponge etc...

Damp Sponge Applicate for Ruby2... (Tute) - Natural Beauty, Health, and Skin Care

thank you for sharing this post.

we have so hot and humid weather until I want to kill myself. LOL I cant breath.

and yesterday I applied my mineral foundation with Kabuki and I've started to perspire and I itched so much that I wanted to wash my face amidiatlly.

why do you think -applying with sponge is not make itching? Im will try this method?

do you use in wet or damp sponge or what? how do you applying with spong?

can you tell me please?

thank you so much!

Hi Simi,

I'll chime in and say that I read I believe Laurie Lu say that when using her brushes it was causing micro tears in her skin from the buffing action. I think that she (if this was her) said that this was from the rougher texture of the sable BE brushes.

I've found that even the soft synthetic brushes create the same itching situation.

I use a damp sponge - not wet.

I wet it first and then wring it out dry, then smoothe the minerals onto the sponge.

Hi holly,

thank you so much for that great tut, now I have got a rough idea on how to use it and I have that sponge at home..hurray. Talking abt the brushes I am finding my cory kabuki brush seems to be very rough on my face. When I use it, it has sharp poking sensation. Whereas when I use my dreamworld powder/buffer brush its okay but than it does not seem to give me a full coverage though but I still like using it cos its soft and nice and does not hurt my face. Anyway thanks for your response.

Emma

this makes me wonder if i will try it...i itch too hehe..i thought it's because of the brand of foundations i'm using...hmmm...that makes me realize that maybe that's the reason why i don't itch or i rarely itch with Larenim pressed foundation..because i need to use the sponge included for the foundation! but i don't know where to get flocked sponge here in the Philippines for my loose foundies...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by HollyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Simi,I'll chime in and say that I read I believe Laurie Lu say that when using her brushes it was causing micro tears in her skin from the buffing action. I think that she (if this was her) said that this was from the rougher texture of the sable BE brushes.

I've found that even the soft synthetic brushes create the same itching situation.

I use a damp sponge - not wet.

I wet it first and then wring it out dry, then smoothe the minerals onto the sponge.

Holy thank you so much for the explanation.. I promisse to try this method. I think its will be better for me becuase the sweating.. in the winter or in a cold day.. its never happened.. I wonder why its happan when its humed and hot//

I've tried this a few times. I will say that it definitely did help with the itching. One thing though for everyone, don't exfoliate before applying otherwise you will still have itching and bad. My fault I should have known better.

Back