Wal-mart's self-checkouts.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is strange.. Saturday the wife and I were at Wal-mart getting something for the kid to go to college... And we uised the self-checkout.. And I hit the button to get $60 back and when it came out there was only $51. Someone must have put a 1 in the 10's bin? So they gave me a 10 for the 1 without any hastle.. Which makes me think that its not an uncommon thing although its never happened to me..

So today I'm at a different Wal-mart piching up some thing for my upcomind trip.. (Nails and stockings!! Lol) and I put in a $20 bill followed by a $10 bill to cover $23 something and out spits the change... $17.35?? I checkd the reciept and it said I put in $30!! And my change was $2 something... So I went to the desk and told them and gave them the extra money..

So wierd!! Anyone else have any problems with the self checkouts giving you the right change?

I haven't had a problem with getting the right change but in general the self service things are NOT my friend.

Last time I used one I tried to scan the food through and it didn't register it even though I was doing it right and then it started beeping insanely and everyone in the supermarket started staring at me whilst I pressed every button to shut the thing up. It was sooo embarrassing. Then an employee had to come over and fix it and I ended up having to go to a cashier anyway
tongue.gif

I just dont even bother with them. Nobody uses them, and I am scared I will screw it up, lol. When the rare person does use it, I notice they are there for a long time. I can wait in line behind 2 people and be leaving the store and the same person is still there and doesnt have much stuff to buy

i never use that stuff, i too have noticed you stay in line for a long time only for a bunch of stuff, and the staff there never knows how to repair the machine if there's a problem.

in some versions, you scan yourself your stuff, a bill is printed, and then you go pay just as usual, the only difference is the lady scans your printed bill. waste of time, imo.

My brother used it to buy Terminator 2 and it didn't want to work...I guess a cashier had to come over to verify his age because of the movie rating. So odd. lol.

There are Loblaws and Superstores in my area - both grocery stores - that have a self serve check-out.

I have tried the self check outs maybe 3-4 times. I find them incredibly difficult to figure out. Everything is in codes so I have to search through the directory for all the different fruit and vegetable codes.

I think they are accurate with cash back but otherwise - a pain in the butt.

I prefer having a cashier check out my purchases, plus if there is a price discrepancy it can be adjusted right away.

I always use debit, so never had that issue. I rarely get cash back. Boy am I going to make sure to double check in the future!

Originally Posted by magneticheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif I haven't had a problem with getting the right change but in general the self service things are NOT my friend.Last time I used one I tried to scan the food through and it didn't register it even though I was doing it right and then it started beeping insanely and everyone in the supermarket started staring at me whilst I pressed every button to shut the thing up. It was sooo embarrassing. Then an employee had to come over and fix it and I ended up having to go to a cashier anyway
tongue.gif

That reminds me of that tv ad where a guy was using self-checkout, and it kept saying "wart remover, wart remover, wart remover!" lol.

Ooh I love using them I think they're really fun. I just like scanning the stuff, does that make me sad?
frown.gif
I've never had any problems yet though, touch wood.

I use those self checkouts all the time (because they generally have an item limit so there won't be families with 2 carts of groceries in front of me) and never have a problem except for the couple times it won't proceed because instead of bagging something I put it straight in the cart (like milk) and the sensor thing makes it stop because nothing hit the bagging area.

I use my debit, though, so change isn't an issue.

I like them and use them whenever I can. I always just use a credit card so I don't have to worry about correct change issues. About the only problem I have is sometimes things don't want to scan. Especially some makeup that has tiny barcode stickers. I did use the walmart one with cash before, your change comes out the bottom and a red light flashes, fells like winning at a slot machine or something, except that it's your money and you didn't win anything.

Originally Posted by laurafaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ooh I love using them I think they're really fun. I just like scanning the stuff, does that make me sad?
frown.gif
I've never had any problems yet though, touch wood. I have not experienced anything like that a self checkout but i almost always have a problem with them right when i'm buying something that is a little embarrassing, most recently my Monistat Anti Chafing gel.

lol ooh i hate them. I worked as a cashier for my first job at a grocery store for almost 3 years and scanning stuff was so annoying. The only good thing about it was that I can still remember all those 4 digit codes you have to key in for produce and fruits which i believe is the same everywhere around here in the states. Most people avoid them bc of those but i know how to work em lol.

that's so weird..one time I was at Nob Hill and I found some extra change in the cash/change dispenser, but i've never had it spit out extra money like that!

I have found extra money in one before too...... but they always give the right amount back. I love them when your only buying one thing... and i actually have some of the produce codes by memory!! lol!

Karen maybe you should buy a lotto ticket...??

i've never gotten extra money from this.. once i noticed that people did not get their change, so there was an extra ten dollar bill in that.. so does that count as extra money? lol

The walmart I work at has problems with people using debit cards and cash. If they use both it freezes 'em and says they only put one instead of the other. As for it giving back extra money I've never heard of that at the one I work at.

I've only used a few in the past but they seemed to work fine for me. But I still prefer someone at the register.

I fould it strange that I got the wrong change at different Wal-marts on consetutive visits..

They installed new ones at the grocery store a few months ago and they are so picky!! About every ten items it kicks one back due to weight ot I threw it on the belt too hard or hit the side... Usually for a few items its quick and painless...

And funny Adrienne won't use them because of embarrassing items where I find them great for that.. I always get a sales clerk that will yell at the top of her lungs... "Price check on a bra for this guy in lane 5". Lol

i actually tend to not like self-check outs, its suppose to be faster but i find it rather slower.. haha

the ones in oz are pretty good... I haven't had a problem like that.. except sometimes it will say really loudly:

UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA

and its like, yeah, the item I just bought is in there! haha, fool thing. But we don't really have them for stuff like fresh produce, only in stores like Target, so you don't have to put in any codes or anything like that.

they're super easy to use here too.

Back