Not used to cold, dry winters... Good facecream recommendation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

The cold in Boston can be very drying. Using Clinique Superdefense for dry combination skin. It works really well in the warmer months but not now (when it's cold and very dry).

Any recommendations for a face cream that is as good as the Clinique but maybe thicker and that wouldn't block the pores? Maybe it's another Clinique product that's needed?

Rarely if ever wear makeup, if it makes a difference.

V

i have the same problem but then my problem's a bit tricky. i use a dry skin moisturizer cream from Olay. it's good but it ends up leaving my skin oily. but then again i get that problem with every cream
frown.gif

I know how you feel! My skin is also feeling different when seasons are changing. Wind, rain and the cold make your skin dry so I would advice a good day AND night cream. Hydratation is a must for your skin during the winter!

Make sure you drink enough water, it helps.

A good and cheap trick is to apply a tiny amount of oil (your choice, in the past i've used sweet almond, macadamia, coconut oils) on your face before you apply your moisturizer.

I also like to apply shea butter on my cheeks, where the wind hits them. You can also use vaseline if you like.

A night cream is also a great help
smile.gif

Vivant - Allantoin Sedational, Sedating and Hydrating Lotion. It's a thick heavy night cream that works wonnnders.

Try the Clinique for Very Dry to Dry skin. I use the super rescue (formerly continuous rescue) and it's not super heavy, but it's definitely moisturizing. I'm pretty sure the superdefense also comes in very dry to dry. If there's just one area that's become really dry, you could try applying a thin layer of Nivea cream on top of your moisturiser to add a little extra and seal everything in.

Another vote for Shea Butter!!! Put it EVERYWHERE that's dry and yr skin would look so good, so smooth, so soft!

I would recommend an oil. It moisturizes better than many creams in my experience. My absolute favorite of all oils is Silkia camellia oil. It has helped my with so many skin issues from dry, red, parched skin to fine lines and acne scars.

I've heard very good things about Elizabeth Arden's 8 Hour Cream that just came out. I'm too scared to try it, personally, since my skin is so incredibly finicky. But those who need extra moisturizing seem to love it.

Im only a few days around on this website and i am so glad i found it. There are alot of great tips i have never heard off before. I too, suffer from dry skin with flaky patches. Anything i tried, never worked and most of the creams i bought had a stinging effect on my skin.

But that oil tip, seriously works. I bought myself coconut oil and today was the first day in a few weeks i went without dry flaky skin.

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

I've been having the same problem. What I've been doing is just using a itty bitty bit of Aveda Hydrating Lotion on the problem areas when I get out of the shower while my skin is still moist, it's actually the consistency of baby oil. Then I use my regular moisturizer when I do my makeup. I've also found that using my primer makes a huge difference vs not using it. It helps to smooth out rough patches and not let makeup settle into them and look flaky. Hope that helps a little!

I'm from Boston too so I can totally relate. I am an esthetican and I use Glymed Ultra Hydro Gel and Repair Cream. The hydro gel has hyaluronic acid which helps bind water to your skin and the repair cream has jojoba oil. It's thick but not greasy at all. And again lots of water is so important. Your skin gets hydrated from the inside. Moisturizers help but they can't do it all.

What about exfoliating the skin first? Shouldn't that help a little with the dryness? I have very dry, flaky skin on my forehead this time of year. It's been a while since I used an exfoliant. Is this a good idea?

Cold skin makes my skin wonkey too (dry) I use organic coconut milk cleanser and & organic 8 greens whipped Moisturizer by

Eminence

what a difference with no oily effects
smile.gif

Yes I had to use my MK microdermabrasion very very gently because I could actually feel the dead skin on my face

Originally Posted by happygal /img/forum/go_quote.gif What about exfoliating the skin first? Shouldn't that help a little with the dryness? I have very dry, flaky skin on my forehead this time of year. It's been a while since I used an exfoliant. Is this a good idea?

Back