Do You Have a Signature Scent?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you think it's tacky to have one? I could only find two other similar threads but they were so old and I was wondering what everyone here thought about it. I always love it when I catch up with old friends and they have a certain "scent" to them. I don't know if it's their shampoo or perfume or what but when I smell something similar, I always associate the smell with that person. I can always count on my mom smelling like Estee lauder's Beautiful and although I think it's very strong and not my favorite, it smells lovely on her and suits her perfectly.

I always hated sweet sugary fruity scents so I was never into the stereotypical teen fragances. I guess I bypassed that whole thing lol. I also know that my favorites today may not be my favorites tomorrow so I wonder if it's even worth searching for a signature scent. Maybe I'm being a bit old fashioned. What do you guys think? Do you have one?

It depends. There are certain type of perfume i really can't stand, oriental, fruity that i find overpowering and very difficult to wear. So i tend to find them tacky. But i think a perfume should reflect a person's character, so if it suits that person, i won't find it tacky.

I guess i have a signature scent, i really love floral scents, fruity was good when i was 14 or 15. I think i found my scent and i'll keep buying it until Kenzo decides to discontinue it (i pray it doesn't happen though). This one :

P1002_lg.jpg

L'eau par Kenzo (the picture is the women's version). I have both women and men versions, and i really love them both. They're very fresh and light, and i just wanted a scent that reminds me of the seashore. I rotate between the two scents, the men's version being more citrusy.

I don't like the strong overpowering scents because i get migraines from them, i like them from a distance though lol but personally i cannot wear them.

I go with softer fruity sweet warm ones, haven't found one i would buy over and over though but if i fel in love with it i probally would, I did like Sui dreams by Anna Sui.

I don't think its tacky at all to have a scent, My grandma will always smell like poison, my mum has chanel no5, and one of my aunts is red door. 3 scents that totally over power me lol.

no, I don't think it's tacky. My favourite scent is gucci 2 - it has blackberry in it and its so nice!

but, I do think that scents need to be updated to suit your personality and age
smile.gif

ysl babydoll. ive been wearing it for...10 years or so. if you go to sephora and read its description its me. its me in a bottle.

yes, i love the way my friends smell!! haha that sounds so weird. one of my friends wears chanel no5 and whenever i smell it i think of her.

i wear j'adore by dior religiously.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif no, I don't think it's tacky. My favourite scent is gucci 2 - it has blackberry in it and its so nice!
but, I do think that scents need to be updated to suit your personality and age
smile.gif

woo that sounds nice, i will have to have a sniff when im out next.

I associate different smells with different people and certain perfume scents remind me of certain people.

For my friend Emily.. l'eau d'issey by Issey Miyake, and my friend Jess is always Tommy Girl, she's also a smoker, so when I get wiffs of cigarette smoke it reminds me of her, she hates that lol

I wear Romance (Ralph Lauren) and Vera Wang The Fragrance a lot, so I guess they'd be my signature scents.

I think a lot of people have favourites and once they like something, they'll have a tendency to stock one or two up and use them continuously.

I love buying sample perfumes and I've been collecting since December. I have yet to count how many bottles I've bought (hahaha) but I love trying different scents out, depending on where the mood takes me. And I also sometimes buy them just because the bottle designs are pretty (hey, they're only sample sized, so I could afford to splurge).

My first real perfume that my boyfriend bought for me was Secret Wish by Anna Sui when it first came out, but when everybody started spraying the same thing after a couple of months, I've stopped using it and switched to Pleasures by Estee Lauder, which became my signature scent (men just love it). I also wore Maybe Baby by Benefit for extensive periods at one point as well, while at the same time I'm sad that they've discontinued the Feelin' Steamy bath wash.

Generally speaking, I don't like stuffy scents. Though Chanel No.5 is a classic, I've never been a fan of the scent. Same goes with Life Essence cologne by Fendi.

Some new favourites include Still by Jennifer Lopez, Burberry Brit, Magnifique by Lancome, Armani Code (for women) and Escada Sentiment Homme (yes, I actually wear men's fragrances too). Being a bit of a perfume (and the androgynous concept) junkie, I've started experimenting with men's cologne on myself as well. To be fair, what might smell good on one person might not necessarily smell good on another, depending on the chemical mark up of your skin/blood etc, so I pretty much pick up both men and women's fragrances at the stores.

I agree that Romance by Ralph Lauren's pretty good too. Not one of my top favourites, but it's still doable on days when I feel I want to be a bit girlie.

I am a Dior perfume addict... I love them all!! Dior Pure Poison and Dior Addict Shine are my favorites.

I would consider them my signature scents, but at the same time I have between 30-40 high end perfumes, and I use each of them depending on my mood. They all get used... sometimes I layer perfumes or I'll change my perfumes 2-3 times a day depending on how many times I shower. I ALWAYS wear a light perfume to bed.. I just like smelling good, and I actually think it makes me fall asleep easier.
smile.gif

Wow that is a lot of perfumes! I have less than ten and maybe only 4-5 get used in rotation but I don't love them completely, except for one that I always get complimented for.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I need something soft and powdery. I'll have to hit the mall today
smile.gif
You need BAby Soft .............Does anyone remember that scent? I used to have a set of baby soft lotions & sprays when I was 12 but it smells so good clean & Powdery & Soft just like you want
smile.gif

I was actually thinking about this recently. I want to get one, but I've never really worn perfumes.

There was a body spray by victoria's secret that I wore a ton of in high school, but it was discontinued before I graduated.

Beyond that, I never got into it because I guess I never really knew how to get into it. (Kind of like my jewelery -- I never really had any, so I really don't know when or how to accessorize now. bracelets, rings, necklaces, belts...I'm just kind of lost)

I've been trying to figure out how I'd choose a signature scent, but it seems expensive -- I've read "get better quality because the cheap stuff is...cheap stuff" and all the stuff I'm finding is like $60-95 -- which is expensive for a "try it out" feel for me! I'm not sure where I could go to try stuff out besides maybe going and buying a bunch of magazines and hoping they have some perfume ads in them -.-

Be delicious the one by DKNY in the round bottle that's supposed to be an apple but isn't haha

I wear different perfumes every so often but I always go back to my DKNY one for some reason.

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would consider them my signature scents, but at the same time I have between 30-40 high end perfumes, and I use each of them depending on my mood. They all get used... sometimes I layer perfumes or I'll change my perfumes 2-3 times a day depending on how many times I shower. I ALWAYS wear a light perfume to bed.. I just like smelling good, and I actually think it makes me fall asleep easier.
smile.gif
I'm the same way. I always have on fragrance...no matter what I'm doing. I have almost sixty different fragrances and I mix them up depending on my mood but I wore Victoria's Secret's Amber Romance almost exclusively through college and people always recognize me by that scent. My other staples are CHANEL's Coco Mademoiselle, Britney Spears' Fantasy, Victoria's Secret's Body The Fragrance, and Benefit's Maybe Baby (I wear this to bed almost every night).

Tresor at one time was it but now I like Green Tea or Rice Flower and Shea. Much more enjoying softer scents.

I like the idea of having a signature scent, but I'm too fickle to have one. I always come across new fabulous perfumes I want, so whenever I think I've found THE ONE, I'm foiled a few months later. There are a few I keep going back to: Indian Gardenia by The Body Shop, Tobacco Caramel by Fresh (used to be Tobacco Flower, and it's a men's cologne...), and L'Eau d'Issey by Issey Miyake.

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was actually thinking about this recently. I want to get one, but I've never really worn perfumes.
There was a body spray by victoria's secret that I wore a ton of in high school, but it was discontinued before I graduated.

Beyond that, I never got into it because I guess I never really knew how to get into it. (Kind of like my jewelery -- I never really had any, so I really don't know when or how to accessorize now. bracelets, rings, necklaces, belts...I'm just kind of lost)

I've been trying to figure out how I'd choose a signature scent, but it seems expensive -- I've read "get better quality because the cheap stuff is...cheap stuff" and all the stuff I'm finding is like $60-95 -- which is expensive for a "try it out" feel for me! I'm not sure where I could go to try stuff out besides maybe going and buying a bunch of magazines and hoping they have some perfume ads in them -.-

Choosing a signature scent isn't easy because with all those smells out there, your nose gets tired really easily. And like they say, cheap stuff really is "cheap stuff" since they have a tendency to not use quality ingredients for better scent.
I suggest taking a walk to a department store, unless if I'm wrong, they usually have some bottles of different brands that you could spray on to test. Don't just spray it in the air or on those tester papers though, because the same perfume on one person smells different compared to when it's sprayed on somebody else. And only seriously test 1-2 different kinds of perfume at a time (I do one on each wrist after I've gotten a bit of a whiff) and leave the store. Part of the reason is that the nose gets really tired easily and after 4-5 scent testing, your sense of smell wouldn't be so good for a few hours. The scent will diffuse with time, during which you could decide whether you like it or not, and you could also ask friends what they think of the scent. When I'm in cities where they don't actually sell sample perfumes, I have a tendency to give my wrists a generous spray of a fragrance I'm going to test in places like Sephora before meeting up with friends, and that's the time when I decide whether I like the scent or not. But when I'm at home in Hong Kong, I would take a trip to a SaSa branch and pick up loads of sample sized perfumes (since they are way more affordable than buying a large bottle), take them home and test different ones each day! Guess this is the reason why I've got so much perfume at home.

Back