2009-2010 NHL Hockey Chatter

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NHLLogo.jpg

I can feel a chill in the air...... So it's got to be that time of year again and Carolyn is probably chompin at the bit with so many things going on in the NHL over the summer.... Training camps opened up this third week of September and the first pre-season game was yesterday.... So it's time to drop the puck and let's hear some noise...

2009-stanley-cup-pittsburgh-penguins-sidney-crosby.jpg

So Dany Heatley finally got his wish and the whinney boy is no longer in Ottawa... Now a San Jose Shark... Mr Blackberry Billionaire, Jim Balsillie is still trying hard to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and move them to Hamilton Ont dispite.. Some how the Hamilton Coyotes just doesn't sound right.. Expect more law suits including one from the Maple Leafs for encroachment into their market, if he does win the team out of bankruptcy...

Penguins play Columbus at the Iglo in their first pre-season game tonight after only 3 days of practice and a short Stanley Cup celebratory summer.. Go Penns!! Yeah!!

awwww..... Couldn't hear you over the humm of my PC fan, Helen!! hahaha

Dear sweet Karren, I live in Cambridge, Ontario - right close to Waterloo where Mr. RIM JIM has his Blackberry company!! Could you ask your company to purchase a couple more Crackberries as we need to up the ante for the new HAMILTON COYOTES. Damn the lawsuits, we have a huge ego to satisfy!!

Love Helen

First of all - the logo "Coyotes" has got to go.

Something more Hamiltonian like "Steelers" would be more appropriate.

I know that Buffalo is grumbling about the prospect of a Hamilton team. I guess the teams would be too close to each other.

But no one seems to care that New Jersey is within an hour's drive to the Rangers.

There are millions of hockey fans in southern Ontario. i definately think that another team could sustain the market without taking away ticket sales from Buffalo or Toronto.

Speaking of Toronto - we need Phil Kessel in a BAD way! He is the most underrated player in the league. Toronto needs a leader and he is the man!

I'm going to my fist local game next week - London Nationals Junior B. They rock!

Thanks for starting this thread Karren, I do have my share to discuss. My concern is that the thread doesn't get buried in the entertainment section. Hockey is not entertainment - it is the lifeblood of us hockey lovin muters lol!

Hi Karen, have you heard of Bing, it is Microsoft's search engine that is really great. One thing they have is Bing and ping which means you can send things to friends straight from the search. The example they showed was the Seahawks but you can send reports from the Penguins matches.

They have it all to do again.

thanks Karren! i really have enjoyed the hockey thread over the past 2 years. I have actually even been getting educated on some of the finer points of the game.

I kind of think that the Phoenix team could relocate that there are just tons of fans up there in Ontario! that's the one thing i've learned, Canadians love their hockey and their Tim Horton coffee.

Go CAPS!

capslogo.jpg

Well day one and I'm already pissed off!!! They moved the Penn's - Columbus game to today because of the G-20 next week and no one is televising it!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Where did I put that wind up radio??

Found the old wind up emergency radio... Down by one at the end of the first.. Hope no one gets hurt.. Just skate around and pass the puck.. Yeah!! Glad pre-season doesn't count.. The penguins have played like 50 games more than those that went home early for summer.
smile.gif

Yeah baby!! Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 4 in OT!! What a way to start out this years run for the cup!!

reddance.gif

Penguins' Crosby testing new stick

crosbystick0915_330.jpg

Quote:
Although he is loathe to alter his equipment and superstitious about changes, Penguins center and captain Sidney Crosby is experimenting with a one-piece synthetic hockey stick at training camp.

"I'm trying to give it the best chance I can," Crosby said after practice yesterday at Mellon Arena. "It's something I've tried in the past, but I haven't really given it more than a couple practices."

Assuming he is in the lineup tonight when the Penguins play their preseason opener at home against Columbus, Crosby likely will use the new type of stick in a game for the first time.

Until now, Crosby has used a two-piece stick, a wooden blade attached to a synthetic shaft. Wooden sticks and blades are nearly extinct in the NHL as players have switched to composite material to gain more velocity.

Crosby worked with one-piece sticks over the summer and continued through the first two days of training camp practices. He would like to make a permanent switch to the one-piece if he can get comfortable enough with it.

"I want it to work," he said. "It's something that takes time -- going from wood to one-piece -- but I'm giving it a chance, and we'll see what happens.

"It's been all right. You gain in some areas, and other areas it's a different feel. The shot's a little harder. There's pros and cons. The mechanics aren't any different, just mostly the feel."

After practicing for an hour-plus yesterday -- Crosby's group did not scrimmage -- he came off the ice with one stick that had a broken blade near the heel end. He said he wasn't sure how he broke it and that the synthetic blades break in different ways from the wooden blades.

If he decides he doesn't like the one-piece sticks, he has more wooden blades. But they might not be available in years to come.

"There's no real pressure," he said. "I can only gain from [trying the one-piece sticks]."

and he scored 2 goals and a couple assists with it aginst Columbus!! So I really need to get one of these!! lol
Penguins play your Leafs tommorow and next Tuesday, Carolyn!! Hope they're ready!!
smile.gif

Boys sure love to play with their sticks huh...

The Tuesday game is televised here, at least on cable, but not the Friday game.

Did ya see who we have as goalies:

50 Jonas Gustavsson from Danderyd, SWE

29 Joey MacDonald Pictou, NS, CAN

35 Vesa Toskala Tampere, FIN

Gustavsson had minor cardiac surgery so he won't be playing tomorrow.

But wait until he gets going - he's the hottest goalie in Europe and the Leafs have him.

Phil Kessel's future has not been decided but i sure hope that the Leafs continue to fight tooth and nail for him.

Minor cardiac surgery?? Okkkkk.. I heard he had some not eating breakfast issues and didn't feel good and went to the hospital? He's that big sweedish kid, Carolyn?

Colorado who? Lol. Where's Roy when you need him, Snoofard?

a synthetic stick? I'm surprised the NHL doesn't have something to say about that. just somehow this reminds of baseball with aluminum bats. Just aint the same!!

Gustavsson was sent to hospital on Saturday but had been on ice since then

Sep 15, 2009 03:48 PM

Jonas Gustavsson underwent surgery today to repair what Leaf coach Ron Wilson called a "minor" problem with his heart.

The procedure — an ablation, which is a minimally invasive type of heart surgery — destroys the part of an abnormal pathway that caused an abnormal heart rhythm.

The goalie will be gone from camp for two days, and won't dress "until he is ready," said Wilson.

The problem was discovered the day Gustavsson collapsed after a workout on the first day of camp when his heart rate did not return to normal after rest.

The 6-foot-4 goalie – signed as a free agent out of Sweden – was taken by ambulance to hospital suffering from what was thought to be dehydration.

On Saturday, Gustavsson said he "forgot" to eat prior to a demanding day of testing. He was riding the stationary bike when he became dizzy and was taken to hospital in an ambulance with what the Leafs said was dehydration.

He was released a short time later and skated Sunday and Monday

"I just forgot to eat breakfast," Gustavsson said Sunday. "Of course, it's not something you want to have happen to you (dehydration) but I'm okay now."

Comments on this story are now closed

.................................................. ................................................

London Ont hosted a pre season NHL game tonight - Toronto vs Philadelphia

3-0 for Toronto, in the third.

.................................................. .................................................. ...........

Gustavssson is pretty big and pretty good - let's hope the Toronto gets into the playoffs this year.

I didn't know they have pre-season games in London? Do they have any more coming up?

are they expensive?

I hadn't heard they were playing in London. They sometimes run the matches at 3am and if I can't sleep I sometimes watch, although it is too exciting and I cannot get back to sleep. Ah well.

Apart from the Penguins, who else is worth watching?

Apart from the Penguins? No one, imho! Lol

My wife has that heart conditionand they go in and scar the inside of the heart witheither a heated wire or cuts to keep electrical signals from short circuiting the wrong way accross the heart.. Can't imagine he would be ready to play so soon!

Originally Posted by jodevizes /img/forum/go_quote.gif Apart from the Penguins, who else is worth watching? I'm kind of partial to the Toronto Maple Leafs myself.
To be honest, it depends who recorded the game - if it was CBC, Sportsnet or TSN, you'l probably end up watching at least one Canadian team play. There are currently six in the league.

If its ESPN or NBC, then I'd wager you'd see two American teams play.

.................................................. .................................................

Must have been scary for your wife Karren. It sounds like a relatively simple procedure but nerve raking none the less. Hope everything has been well since.

.................................................. .................................................. ......

There was only one pre-season NHL game in London. Here's a site that shows all te pre season games if you're interested:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=469906

Latest posts

Back