2009-2010 NHL Hockey Chatter

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everybody - I just read that Toronto has signed a 5 year contract with Phil Kessel!

Finally a star to lead the leafs to the playoffs!

Wow so that Phil Kessel deal went through. You had been wanting that for a while. Maybe you were "willing" the team to make that move!

My mom got us free tickets to see the Lightning play the Thrashers tonight. The first fight started 3 seconds into the game. lol!

Lightning won! Woot!

Free is great!! Sounds like a good game then, Shaundra? Lol. You can't find free anything up here! I forgot to get any tickets this year and will have to buy some on the ticket exchange.. $$$$

And Carolyn... Phil who??
biggrin.gif

Karren!!! now even I know Phil. he will be a star on the US Olympic squad.

Beter keep that new young gun, Carolyn.. Scored to tie it up and then scored the shoot-out winner!!

Your going to love this... The Penguins that didn't make the road trip are practicing accross the street.. And one is staying in the hotel above our office.. So yesterday he decides to walk to practice and cut accross our property.. With the G-20 in town we have beefed up security and he was detained by our security guys and a local cop and asked to produce his IDs.. Damn!! There goes the free tickets?? Lol.

smile.gif
I'm a big Sharks fan! I'm actually going to their game at the Shark Tank tomorrow night. I'm curious to see Dan Heatly play with them! I'll be sure to post back on my thoughts!

Hope danny boy is significantly less whinnery in SJ than he was in Otawa

Penguin Crosby was injured playing Columbus last night. Not a good omen!!

Can't believe Gretzky stepped down as coach of the Cyotes?

Gretzky hasn't been back to coach the Coyotes at all this year.

I don't think I would either when the team is in the bankruptcy mode.

Sorry to hear about Crosby - one of his many puck bunnies will nurse him back to health!

Toronto beat Detroit 2-1, Sat. Sep 26

.................................................. ........................

The dark cloud that has hovered over Air Canada Centre and the Toronto Maple Leafs for the past three seasons appears to be lifting.

Brian Burke insists his team will contend for a playoff spot and early indications are he may be right.

The Maple Leafs return to the post-season hinges on goaltending.

Surgery in March, followed by months of rehab has Vesa Toskala re-energized, but he's in a transition phase according to head coach Ron Wilson, working on his positioning and challenging shooters more.

Toskala's play is imperative in Toronto's quest to drastically improve on the leagues worst goals against average.

The Leafs defense provides the "truculence" Burke was looking for, primarily because Mike Komisarek, Francois Beauchemin and Garnet Exelby, fresh faces this season, are "truck" size and vastly improve a defensive corps that had to rely last season on 19-year Luke Schenn on many nights to play an average of nearly 22 minutes per game.

Schenn's ice time will be managed, relieving the stress he felt last season, while veteran Tomas Kaberle will be free to focus on his strength; offence.

The introduction of Phil Kessel should increase the Leafs scoring production, however Mikhail Grabovski, Niklas Hagman, Jason Blake, John Mitchell and all who figure in to the Leafs top nine are expected to do more.

There will be a strong youth component to this year's team in Toronto as Viktor Stahlberg, Tyler Bozak and Christian Hanson will bounce between the Marlies and the Maple Leafs. Although, based on his preseason output and explosive speed, Stahlberg is the closest to NHL form.

Properly developing these budding young stars is a priority, but there's reason for optimism this season; a feeling this franchise is back on track and headed in the right direction.

6 Cities in 6 Days - Goaltending the key for Maple Leafs

That situation with the Phoenix Coyotes and the NHL really seems like a close parallel with what happened to the NFL and Baltimore. Baltimore had originally lost its much revered, but fan disappointing team, the Colts to Indianapolis during the dark of the night.

The NFL felt the city of Baltimore didn't need its own team since it had the Washington Redskins to the south an hour away and a team to the north in Philadephia that is an hour and a half away; They fought and eventually got a team (but it was not easy) from Cleveland. I think this is the same thing here, Hamilton is very close to the resurgent Toronto Maple Leafs and not even so far away from the Buffalo Sabres. They may not be encouraging it.

But i was just thinking there is no team in LA directly right? just the Anaheim Ducks nor is there one in San Francisco. (San Jose is a pretty good drive from SF)

--GO CAPS!--

Hey one more questions: what is the best site for getting the previews of the upcoming NHL season. I was at the bookstore today, but would rather not shell out $10 if there is an equally good web site.

Appearently Hell froze over in the burgh yesterday... Penguins lost.. The Steelers lost. The Pirates WON... Then the Pirates won 3 games in a row... Wow... Freaky Sunday.. Hope we got that out of our system and things can go back to normal..
smile.gif

And another thing. I didn't win the lottery for 2 season tickets.. The number drawn was 106... I had 601!!! Just my luck!! During the G-20 protests... On one of the video tapes.... behind the police line you can see a guy parading around with a mock Stanley Cup and everyone is yelling "Let's Go Penns"". Now that's the kind of protests marches we have here!! Yeah!!

I know Steelers have kind of faltered early on, two losses? Well with the season starting we shall see how it goes for the Pens

__--> GO CAPS!! <--__

The Penguins are practicing accross the street today so I'm going to walk over and watch... Have my camera... Hope Crosby is practicing... Home opener aginst the Rangers is Friday.. Kept thinking it was Saturday... Have to log on to the Penns ticket exchange and see if I can buy tickets to a couple good games..

Crosby is skating well.. Malkin is a no-show.. Great to watch them practice but god is it cold in here! Lol. Wish I could skate and shoot like that.. Sigh.. One of the D has a huge black eye!!

What We Learned: 20 bold predictions for the NHL season

What We Learned is a feature that will run through the entire season and aims to recap the weekend's events and boils those events down to one admittedly superficial fact or stupid opinion about each team. Feel free to complain about it.

By this time next week, the new NHL season will have been underway for a few days. And that's really good news, isn't it?

Over the next couple days, just about every major, minor and inconsequential sports outlet will roll out its predictions for the upcoming season. ESPN will inevitably predict that the Rangers are the favorites to win the Stanley Cup. It will be the 29th year they will have done so.

TSN will say that a Canadian team is, in fact, the odds-on favorite to win it all, before conceding that, OK, maybe half of the other 24 teams in the league have a chance of being better than the worst Canadian squad (Ottawa). Then Sportsline or somebody will predict the Lightning will win the President's Trophy because they haven't seen a hockey game in, like, six years.

I'm not interested in those things. Where everyone ends up at the end of the year isn't as fun as everyone getting their feelings hurt along the way.

Coming Up: The Stars start the excuses early, Nathan Horton doesn't adjust well to the time difference, why Milan Lucic is a public menace, Philly actually puts a thug on waivers, the five things the Blackhawks need to worry about, and Peter Forsberg begins his 40th big comeback.

Here are 20 bold predictions for the NHL season.

1. John Tavares will be a big disappointment and only score 40 points.

2. The Coyotes will make the playoffs but the Ducks won't.

3. Someone actually challenges Alex Ovechkin for the Rocket Richard.

4. Vesa Toskala gets his job taken from him before November. Possibly by a koala.

5. Alex Kovalev's stay in Ottawa is an unmitigated disaster.

6. Brent Sutter will strangle Dion Phaneuf to death, or at least decrease his minutes significantly.

7. The Lightning will still be really bad.

8. Mike Green will win the Norris despite his haircut getting progressively worse throughout the season.

9. Marian Gaborik will miss at least half the season (I didn't say it had to be a shocking prediction).

10. Patrick Kane will beat up an airline pilot, a train conductor and ship captain and help the Blackhawks win the division. Meanwhile Jonathan Toews will make a series of hilarious faces.

11. The Flyers will set a franchise low in match penalties (with 128).

12. Cal Clutterbuck will finally dump the visor to earn Don Cherry's respect.

13. Dany Heatley will lead the league in power play goals and make the Sharks power play hum along at 26 percent.

14. Regardless of how well the season finishes, Red Wings fans will be aggrieved by some perceived slight.

15. Bob Gainey will get the ol' heave-ho.

16. Mike Comrie will have a pretty good year, like 60 points or something.

17. Buffalo will miss the playoffs and both Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier will be fired. No, I'm kidding, of course they won't be fired.

18. Evgeni Malkin will walk away with the league lead in points. Sid Crosby will barely crack 90 like the layabout that he is.

19. Marty Turco will cost an otherwise good Dallas team a playoff spot, and will keep his starting job regardless.

20. The Central will be the best division in hockey.

It's really easy to do stuff like this. Try it at home and impress your friends and coworkers with what they'll assume is your hockey knowledge.

What We Learned

Pittsburgh Penguins: Brooks Orpik(notes) believes the Penguins actually lost very little in the offseason. I'll give Rob Scuderi(notes), the guy that pretty much saved the team's Cup chances with a HUGE Game 6, the bad news.

Toronto Maple Leafs: In a move that was a shock to almost no one, Nazem Kadri was sent back to London. Also not a surprise that Christian Hanson and Jonas Frogren were sent to the Marlies. But after last night's game, Ron Wilson also announced that Viktor Stalberg, who scored six goals in eight preseason games, would make the team. So at least one rookie's onboard.

Washington Capitals: There was apparently some question as to whether or not Chris Bourque would make the Caps right out of camp. I guess that goal he scored in his first game back from a concussion-type injury will help us figure out the answer.

Source: What We Learned: 20 bold predictions for the NHL season - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Note - please check the source to get more "What We Learned" on the other NHL teams.

Am I the only one that likes Mike Green's hair?

Thanks for posting that summary Carolyn. That was real interesting.

I've learned three very important things about Canadians and their country. First don't make fun of their hockey teams and secondly don't make fun of their money (it still spends well)! Finally you generally don't see polar bears wandering down the streets (but there are exceptions!)

Back