2009-2010 NHL Hockey Chatter

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol I found out.... I was up in Detroit for the weekend and just caught some of the game on on my Blackberry during breaks in the wedding reception.... and all the Leinenkugel Red beer.... The Leafs don't seem to be starting off too well... Wings beat the Caps too...

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol I found out.... I.. kind of thought you might when i read Carolyn's comment , hehe
reddance.gif

As I mentioned last week, CBC is hosting a great ice skating show called The Battle of the Blades.

Here is a detailed list of who's competing - maybe you recognize someone:

Shae-Lynn Bourne and Claude Lemieux (my favourite team)

Isabelle Brasseur and Glenn Anderson (he caught a toe pick tonight - OUCH!)

Marie-France Dubreuil and Stephane Richer

Jodeyne Higgins and Ken Daneyko

Christine Hough-Sweeney and Tie Domi

Jamie Sale and Craig Simpson

Barbara Underhill and Ron Duguay

Last week, Kristina Lenko and Bob Probert were eliminated.

The premise: a male hockey player and a female figure skater are paired together to do a 90 second performance each week. Competition is on Sunday nights.

The viewing audience registers their votes for the favourite pair.

Kinda like Dancing With The Stars - I know, I haven't watched it either.

On Monday, the scores are tabulated and the lowest two pairs have to reskate.

The judges will then determine which pair skated better.

Finally after week 8, one team will emerge victorious and the charity of their choice will receive a generous donation.

Source: Battle of the Blades | CBC Television

Not yet. The first episode, everyone skated to classic rock tunes.

Last night, it was all Frank Sinatra songs.

Who knows, maybe they will do a gender reversal of sorts...

Penn's taking on the Sens in Ottawa.. On Canadian Thanksgiving not less!! The Sens might not be much to give thanks for? Lol. Hopefully!!

Danny Heatly doesn't seem to be missing his old team and is quite well out west! And Carolyn's afvorite NY Ranger Sean Avery is back and played pretty good last night in the Rangers 3 - 0 win over the Ducks!!

Yikes, Toronto is playing the Rangers tomorrow.

Even though I hate Avery, he is good for the Rangers.

Right now, the Leafs need all the help they can get...

5-1-0!! Penns trash the Sens 4-1. Alfredson and Kovalev did not look very fast and are getting kind of old? Carolina on Wednesday

Can you believe Chicago came back from being down 0 - 5 to win 6 - 5 in OT? Aginst Calgary! And what's with the Caps? 2-2-2? Wow..

Penns are 24-4-1 (regular season) since Bylsma took over coaching..

I can't believe Tie Domi is going to be on this!!

Was Kippursoff in goal for that drubbing? I love Kipps, but I don't know if he is going to have what it takes to get the job done

NHL tough guy Laraque apologizes for alcohol ad slammed as sexist

NHL tough guy Georges Laraque is pumping out apologies faster than he pummels his opponents with uppercuts.

The Montreal Canadiens enforcer said he was sorry Tuesday for appearing in an ad being slammed as sexist.

Women's groups decried the ad for an alcohol drink which showed Laraque playing street hockey with a group of scantily clad women.

Laraque said he should never have done the ad, was sorry if he offended anyone, swore he'd donated the proceeds to an animal-rights group, and promised to work for a women's cause in the future.

"People who know me know I'm not that kind of (macho) person," Laraque told reporters at a Habs practice Tuesday.

"That's not the kind of thing I'd agree to promote."

He said he had no idea what the ad's script was when he arrived for the TV shoot, and that he only agreed to do it because it offered a lucrative payday for charity.

He said he always donates proceeds from his off-ice activities to charity, and that he was prepared to help a women's rights group to make up for his appearance in the ad.

"If I'd known (the ad's content) I wouldn't have done it - that's for sure."

Tuesday's events offered a snapshot into the dual life of Georges Laraque - a man who's earned an off-ice reputation as a jolly giant, and an on-ice living by smashing in opponents' faces.

That dichotomy was captured on the front page of a Montreal newspaper Tuesday.

As controversy began raging over his alcohol ad, Laraque was pictured in the newspaper walking dogs and discussing his recent conversion to veganism.

He says he swore off eating all meat, fish, poultry and dairy products this year after watching Earthling - a documentary about the exploitation of animals. He's now working to narrate a French-language version of the movie.

He says his community involvement began with a hospital visit when he was with the Edmonton Oilers, and saw the joyful reaction of a young cancer patient when he arrived with teammate Doug Weight.

He told the newspaper that when he retires he wants to be remembered for his community work - not for the number of people he's beaten up.

While Laraque is perhaps the most dangerous fighter in the league, he is frequently criticized by fans for not dropping his gloves enough.

They say his gentlemanly refusal to fight weaker players, combined with his own modest hockey skills, makes him a liability on the ice.

NHL enforcer Laraque takes it on the chin after ad featuring scantily clad women - Yahoo! Canada News

Not sure if you saw this.

Leafs shakeup lineup for Tuesday’s game

October 13, 2009

With the Leafs off to a woeful 0-4-1 start, coach Ron Wilson will shuffle his lineup as he promised to do at the end of Monday’s embarrassing 7-2 loss to the New York Rangers.

Goalie Vesa Toskala – who suffered an injury – is on the shelf, meaning Joey MacDonald will get the start between the pipes. With Jonas Gustavsson still nursing an ailing groin, James Reimer has been recalled from the Marlies to fill in as the backup.

Forwards Matt Stajan and Niklas Hagman will sit out tonight’s game against Colorado. Tyler Bozak was called up from the Marlies and will dress tonight, while Viktor Stalberg returns from a concussion suffered last week against Ottawa.

Link: Toronto Star

I thought the Leafs would be televised tonight.

Instead, Detroit is playing the Sabres - good game though

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif I thought the Leafs would be televised tonight.Instead, Detroit is playing the Sabres - good game though

that makes no sense since all the games are sold out not to televise them. I guess they are on some special channel or pay per view.
On the other hand Detroit is just as far away as Toronto.

Sabres were killing the Wings 5 - 1 last time I checked... Detroit fans should be very very afraid.. With Franzen out for 4 months... Didn't look like Osgood in goal but I was flipping channels..

Puck Daddy's 2009-10 NHL line combo rankings

For this Puck Daddy experiment, we used the amazing "Line Combination" tracker from Dobber Hockey, which charts the lines for every team and how often they are played together. It's incredibly resourceful for fantasy purposes as well as a great tool for stat geeks everywhere.

THE BEST OF THE BEST

Bobby Ryan-Corey Perry-Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks

Daniel Alfredsson-Milan Michalek-Jason Spezza, Ottawa Senators

Dany Heatley-Devin Setoguchi-Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks

Alex Burrows-Daniel Sedin-Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks

Alexander Semin-Nicklas Backstrom-Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

THE ALWAYS DANGEROUS

Jamie Langenbrunner-Zach Parise-Travis Zajac, New Jersey Devils

Nik Antropov-Ilya Kovalchuk-Bryan Little, Atlanta Thrashers

Milan Lucic-Marc Savard-Marco Sturm, Boston Bruins

Jarome Iginla-Olli Jokinen-David Moss, Calgary Flames

Mike Cammalleri-Brian Gionta-Scott Gomez, Montreal Canadiens

Patrick Sharp-Jonathan Toews-Kris Versteeg, Chicago Blackhawks

Derick Brassard-Kristian Huselius-Rick Nash, Columbus Blue Jackets

Loui Erikkson-James Neal-Brad Richards, Dallas Stars

Pavel Datsyuk-Johan Franzen-Tomas Holmstrom, Detroit Red Wings

David Booth-Nathan Horton-Stephen Weiss, Florida Panthers

Anze Kopitar-Ryan Smyth-Justin Williams, Los Angeles Kings

Andrew Brunette-Martin Havlat-Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild

Brandon Dubinsky-Marian Gaborik-Vaclav Prospal, New York Rangers

Daniel Briere-Jeff Carter-Scott Hartnell, Philadelphia Flyers

Sidney Crosby-Bill Guerin-Chris Kunitz, Pittsburgh Penguins

Ryan Clowe-Patrick Marleau-Joe Pavelski, San Jose Sharks

Brad Boyes-Paul Kariya-Keith Tkachuk, St. Louis Blues

Ryan Malone-Martin St. Louis-Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning

THIRD TIER

Milan Hejduk-Paul Stastny-Wojtek Wolski, Colorado Avalanche

Saku Koivu-Joffrey Lupul-Teemu Selanne, Anaheim Ducks

Tuomo Ruutu-Sergei Samsonov-Eric Staal, Carolina Hurricanes

Jamie Benn-Brendan Morrow-Mike Ribeiro, Dallas Stars

Todd Bertuzzi-Dan Cleary-Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings

Alex Hemsky-Shawn Horcoff-J.F. Jacques, Edmonton Oilers

Dustin Brown-Teddy Purcell-Jarret Stoll, Los Angeles Kings

Jason Arnott-Patric Hornqvist-Steve Sullivan, Nashville Predators

Ryan Callahan-Chris Drury-Chris Higgins, New York Rangers

Mike Fisher-Nick Foligno-Alex Kovalev, Ottawa Senators

Ryan Kesler-Mikael Samuelsson-Sergei Shirokov, Vancouver Canucks

FOURTH TIER

Matt Cooke-Tyler Kennedy-Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh Penguins

Patrice Bergeron-Chuck Kobasew-Mark Recchi, Boston Bruins

Rene Bourque-Nigel Dawes-Daymond Langkow, Calgary Flames

Matt Cullen-Chad LaRose-Ray Whitney, Carolina Hurricanes

Jason Chimera-Samuel Pahlsson-R.J. Umberger, Columbus Blue Jackets

Martin Erat-David Legward-Mike Santorelli, Nashville Predators

David Clarkson-Rob Niedermayer-Jay Pandolfo, New Jersey Devils

Matt Moulson-Kyle Okposo-John Tavares, New York Islanders

Max Afinogenov-Slava Kozlov-Tod White, Atlanta Thrashers

Martin Hanzal-Petr Prucha-Radim Vrbata, Phoenix Coyotes

Mikhail Grabovski-Niklas Hagman-Alexei Ponikarovsky, Toronto Maple Leafs

Jason Blake-Matt Stajan-Viktor Stalberg, Toronto Maple Leafs

FIFTH TIER

Andrei Kostitsyn-Max Pacioretty-Tomas Plekanec, Montreal Canadiens

Josh Bailey-Trent Hunter-Jon Sim, New York Islanders

Tim Kennedy-Clark MacArthur-Jason Pominville, Buffalo Sabres

Matt Ellis-Patrick Kaleta-Drew Stafford, Buffalo Sabres

Troy Brouwer-Andrew Ladd-John Madden, Chicago Blackhawks

T.J. Galiardi-Chris Stewart-Darcy Tucker, Colorado Avalanche

Mike Comrie-Patrick Sullivan-Ryan Stone, Edmonton Oilers

Gregory Campbell-Radek Dvorak-Rostislav Olesz, Florida Panthers

Cal Clutterbuck-Antti Miettinen-James Sheppard , Minnesota Wild

Blair Betts-Daniel Carcillo-Ian Laperriere, Philadelphia Flyers

Matthew Lombardi-Peter Mueller-Scottie Upshall, Phoenix Coyotes

B.J. Crombeen-Jay McClement-Alex Steen, St. Louis Blues

Jeff Halpern-Andrew Miller-James Wright, Tampa Bay Lightning

Puck Daddy's 2009-10 NHL line combo rankings - Puck Daddy - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

What's your favourite line?

Newbie question here, What is the +/- thing you see on player's stats? and how do they calculate it?

It seems only the top scorers get a + number

I found the answer:

+/-

When an even-strength or shorthanded goal is scored, every player on the ice for the team scoring the goal is credited with a "plus." Every player on the ice for the team scored against gets a "minus." A player's overall total is calculated by subtracting the minuses from the pluses. A high plus total is taken to mean that a guy is a good defensive player. But it's a very broad measurement and there has always been disagreement over how useful a statistic it is. Power play goals are not used in calculating plus-minus. Shorthanded goals are used in calculating plus-minus. Penalty shot goals are not used in calculating plus-minus.

Source: What is Plus-Minus - Hockey FAQ

I never liked +/-..... maybe good for picking out a fantacy hockey team or something....

The Leafs are in in 30th place!! wow.... Maybe Mr Blackberry is right and southern Ontario does need another team? lol

Back