Wow, I really dislike going to Sephora.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Um....whenever I go to the Sephora closest to where I live, I can't get two steps in the door without at least two SA's swiftly walking up to me all GFGGDDSHHRRRRPH CAN WE HELP YOU BTTRTTD WITH $$$$$$ ANYTHING HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Why do they follow me around the store? I clearly want to be left alone. And then when they try to strike up some trivial conversation with me, they upsell stuff to me that I would NEVER wear.

I weesh I was inveesaybull.
frown.gif

If SA's do that to me anywhere I tend to walk out. It's invasive and annoying imo. I just want someone who is there to answer questions if I have them and greet me on the way in and out.

I hate that too! They try to be helpful, but it just feels like they're pushing as many products on me as they can. I can't even purchase a single product without them trying to get me to purchase more products that I apparently NEED paired with my current purchase.

I also hate walking into a store and being eyed constantly by the people working there like they think I'm going to shop lift something. I may look a little young, but it doesn't mean I'm a delinquent or can't afford anything in the store.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif If SA's do that to me anywhere I tend to walk out. It's invasive and annoying imo. I just want someone who is there to answer questions if I have them and greet me on the way in and out. It's kind of hard to shop when an SA is following you from kiosk to kiosk display to display and looking over your shoulder, asking YOU questions.
HI HAVE YOU TRIED THIS LIMITED EDITION HOLIDAY SHADE THAT WOULD LOOK AWFUL ON YOU

I have the exact opposite issue... I just want to be greeted right away, but by someone who KNOWS something... and not just one thing about the item they personally wear. I want someone who can show me a prouct then show me alternatives, and show me a trick or two.. NOT the other way around.

I want to be offered samples without having to ask if I can't make up my mind, and I want a card or at least their name so that I can ask for them again if they were helpful...

Basically, I want a professional knowledgeable peon who worships me.

Yup. I want to look at everything and take my time and compare things but when someone is staring at you or pouncing you it is unsettling and like I said, I end up leaving.

Quote:
Basically, I want a professional knowledgeable peon who worships me. Hahaha this hit my funny button!

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif They don't do that at Ulta!! And that is a blessing indeed!

Yeah, they are kind of like vultures. Unless, you have a question they should give you your space. I often make myself clear and tell them upfront no thanks I'll come to you. I think for the most part some people aren't sure what they want or are afraid to ask, etc... and so SA's take the initiative. Plus, it's their job to try and sell us things so that's a big one there. For that reason and over priced makeup I don't shop there anymore. I stick with Ulta.

Originally Posted by danixcalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hate that too! They try to be helpful, but it just feels like they're pushing as many products on me as they can. I can't even purchase a single product without them trying to get me to purchase more products that I apparently NEED paired with my current purchase.
I also hate walking into a store and being eyed constantly by the people working there like they think I'm going to shop lift something. I may look a little young, but it doesn't mean I'm a delinquent or can't afford anything in the store.

Shoplifting is apparently a really common problem at Sephora stores from what I hear. But I go in there and drop coin in there once every other paycheck so they know me lol.
And they know I'm not a sucker who will buy anything they push on me.

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have the exact opposite issue... I just want to be greeted right away, but by someone who KNOWS something... and not just one thing about the item they personally wear. I want someone who can show me a prouct then show me alternatives, and show me a trick or two.. NOT the other way around.I want to be offered samples without having to ask if I can't make up my mind, and I want a card or at least their name so that I can ask for them again if they were helpful...

Oh, I just HATE asking for samples because it makes me feel so cheap!

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I want to be offered samples without having to ask if I can't make up my mind, and I want a card or at least their name so that I can ask for them again if they were helpful... I know what you mean, I hate asking for samples. One woman at a Estee Lauder counter was really helpful though. Once I had already decided to buy the double wear, she told me to come back in a few days and then purchase it so I could get the free merchandise, and that in the meantime she'd give me samples to hold me over.
And a guy working the Dior counter was nice enough to give me his card for future reference. Neither of these were Sephora stores however, but I like it when I find good help.

Don't like buying in Sephora either. And don't know why all the counters working there are treating me like I'm a kid (as you can see on my av-pic I'm certainly not
laughing.gif
).

So they think I won't buy anything. And it doesn't matter what (and for how much) I'm buying, always get the same thing as a sample. It's Clinique 3 Steps and...NOTHING more.

Last time I bought Chanel Kaska Beige Eyeshadow and Chanel UV Essentiel so I hoped I will get some samples. And I got....Clinique 3 steps.

I've started to collect them.

That's what they get paid for. I just politely say im just looking and they go away.

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have the exact opposite issue... I just want to be greeted right away, but by someone who KNOWS something... and not just one thing about the item they personally wear. I want someone who can show me a prouct then show me alternatives, and show me a trick or two.. NOT the other way around.I want to be offered samples without having to ask if I can't make up my mind, and I want a card or at least their name so that I can ask for them again if they were helpful...

I agree 100%

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's what they get paid for. I just politely say im just looking and they go away. Same here. I haven't had any problems with them hovering over my shoulder once I tell them I'm just looking...

The fact that it's not exclusive to Sephora is the real problem. It seems like half the shops I go in these days I can't just say 'I'm browsing' without them coming over to me every 5 seconds saying, "Oh can I start you with a dressing room?", "Do you need any help?", "Oh here lemme show you something super ugly that no one else in their right mind will buy so I can hopefully pawn if off on you!" It's the retail world, unfortunately you can't really get mad at them considering it's how they're taught, and a lot of the time they're working under sales goals and commissions.

I think counters are by far the worst. Not only do I have to be hounded at the counter I'm going to (whenever I see something it's "Let me try this on you with 100 different products), but every counter on the way seems like they have to stop me to.

It doesn't help that the 'sales person' type is one I can't stand. Not necessarily even someone at a store, but I know many people in other walks of like who have this personality of always angeling for something. Just seems disingenuous to me (though I'm sure it's probably a trait of successful people so who knows).

Come over here, it's sad but unless you're painted all over, you're not noticed. But if i know how to apply makeup on my face, surely i know how to pick a product...

But usually i just say no thank you, i'll call you if i need help, and that's it. It's part of their job and it's part of customer care, although i admit if they get too sticky, i'll just walk away and out of that store.

Sometimes it's not a good idea to just walk away when being followed. It makes them think they were right to suspect you for a thief. Not always true, but it doesn't help the situation any. It's really learning what to say to that person to satisfy them. Sometimes it's unfair that when you just go out to shop, you have to manipulate and defend your actions, but that's life. The retail industry is shameless.

Sometimes when I buy make up, it's hard to get anyone's attention, especially at MAC where you need them to pull it out of the drawers. Other times, I get too much of it. And sometimes, I feel like the saleslady REALLY doesn't like me...like at the CCO in Orange. Maybe she was just a snappy person. =_=

There is only one Sephora where I live but I don't find them pushy when I walk in the door. Someone will eventually approach me and ask if I need help, other times I have to walk around the store looking for help. There are one or two employees who I do not ask for help from because they seem to not know much about foundation. They pick colors that don't match your skin tone. If one of the employees I don't like asks me if I need help, I say no thanks I'm just looking.

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's what they get paid for. I just politely say im just looking and they go away. Same here and no problems. If I have a question I'll find someone to ask.
Also-- don't feel bad/cheap asking for samples, that's what they're there for! It's better to get a sample to figure out if you like the product (especially with skincare and fragrances) before you commit to paying for the full size.

The one Sephora that I do not like is the one in Anaheim, Cali. at Downtown Disney. I've seen it dirty and disorganized at times, testers are a gross mess, employees just standing around (there's stuff on the floor, displays are messed up and some people look like they need help-- don't just stand there chitchatting-- do something!) I find this store to be very disappointing compared to the other Sephoras I've been too... must be management
frown.gif

Back