What are you planting in your garden this year?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are you planting in your garden, flower pots etc this year?

I decided to buy Roma, Beef Steak Tomatoes, Lettuce, Onion seeds this year. Usually I buy when they are small plants but figured the seeds work out cheaper and besides I like to see stuff growing.

I also bought wave petunia seeds in lavendar and deep purple color.

For bulbs I purchased Canna Lilies and Asiatic hybrid Lily (Lollypop)

I plan on adding Marigolds, Rose bush, Hibiscus and Hostas.

I love flowers and gardening.

Big boy tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, bell pepper, carrots, and brussell sprouts.

My garden was a major flop last year... so not too much this year. A few tomato plant, italian parsley, and basil of course.

I might try eggplant again because i love it. We didn't get any last year though.

For flowers I decided only rose bushes. I loved my rose bush last year, it was gorgeous. I'm planting at least 5 more.

I live in an upstairs flat, so have no garden of my own, but as of yesterday I am making an attempt at something similar. My partner told me that he had put a bunch of uncut spring onions into a glass with a little water in the bottom, just enough to cover the roots, and apparently they have grown really huge. So now I am trying the same with my own spring onions; I hope it will work, because that would save me needing to buy any more for a week or two longer...

Basil, i already have the seeds, and other herbs to be determined as the windowsill is quite small.

I am planting tomatoes, eggplant and cucumbers. First year trying this. We are using Earth Boxes.

I work for a garden supply company and have zillions of seeds leftover from previous seasons, so we plant too much every year.

We already have blueberries, cumberland berries, raspberries, a couple different strawberries that have been producing nicely for a few years.

I bought thornless blackberries this year to add to that group.

We have started in the house (since it is still too cold to put directly in the ground here)) about 10 different tomatoes, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers, romaine, onions, cucumbers, squash, celery, 7 different basils, garlic chives, regular chives, par-cel (A parsley-celery hybrid. Grows like parsley, tastes like celery), cantaloupe, rosemary (for good luck and protection) flat leaf parsley; we already have curly parsley that randomly grew in the yard as well as cilantro that was a volunteer.

And I don't even remember how many flowers. When you have an endless supply of seeds, you just start tossing them out and see what happens.

I did plant flowers into flats to make starts to take to our Mother's Day party where we plant flower pots.

I also bought a new rose bush to go along with the other two I already have and a Jasmine bush.

Hmmm. I think that's all for now.

Key words "for now".

When I go into the stores I work with, I always look over their starts to see if there is anything interesting that I didn't think to plant on my own and I have been on the hunt for a specific lilac to go with my other ones but it apparently isn't grown or sold around here anymore since it's an older variety.

I will get it though. Have no doubt.

Oh yeah. I managed to get a seed from an apple to take root and it's about 2 inches high in a pot right now. It won't produce the fruit of the apple it "was" (a gala) as pretty much every apple in the store is a hybrid (even the ones with a name of an heirloom), they have to be cross pollinated with another to get a fast growing and heavy producing tree so a seed from a store apple will produce apples from only one of the parent trees- if it produces at all.

So we will see what happens in a couple years.

ETA: I just put 4 different pumpkin seeds in starters, lol!

And bought dahlia and calla lily bulbs; my white callas do awesome every year, but last year they grew a little weak.

I am told I need to divide the bulb and divert energy, so we will see.

And of course while having that discussion, I felt it was imperative to buy some dark purple ones, even though they aren't as hearty as the white, ha ha!

I'm so excited! My seeds have sprouted and my tomato plants are 'a goin' crazy! I'll post pics soon.

I have no garden yet but I really would love some big fat tomatoes and sunflowers
smile.gif

Our cherry tree has blossomed ! Yay ! I can't wait until the lavender grows again, mom gave me a big bag of all she collected and dried last year, it smells so good !

Yup ! My parents bought a house two years ago, but the previous owner left the garden "raw" so after hearing (countless times
whistling.gif
) i love cherry trees and how cute the blossoms are, they got one. But it's still a young tree, thin and small, nothing like those you can see in parks.

We also have a tree (actually more like a bush) called butterfly tree, because it attracts butterflies, and it really does.

Let's see we also have a hazelnut tree, poor thing had a rough time during winter, but it gives us a few hazelnuts.

We also have a nice neighbour who gives us regularly veggies, herbs and some fruits, according to what he has too much of. Recently he gave us some much nuts we can easily bake two cakes with them.

This year we are planting three variety's of onions, pod peas and snow peas, tomatos, beets, carrots and a couple kinds of potatos..... nothing like home grown potatos!!

I was really hoping I could do some container gardening on my balcony. Sadly, the big old tree in front of my complex blocks all the light. My living room is like a cave!

Has anyone had success in transplanting a tomato plant from a pot to ground soil?

Alread have tomatos?? This morning it felt like it could snow! lol I'm weeks from getting to where I can even till the soil....

^Yes, they're about 2" in diameter, with smaller ones too. I ended up transplanting it anyway but oh I fear it may not survive. The pot it was in was retaining heat and it wasn't look as good as my other 2 which are in ground soil. So I figured I'll try it and see how it goes. But I just wanted to know if so..did you transplant when the soil was dry, damp or wet, or if you removed the plant/roots or that along with all the soil contained within the pot. Hope this all makes sense.

Back