Best Dandruff Shampoo(s)?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been using Neutrogena's Extra Strength T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo for yrs. I wash my hair once a wk (any more than that is a little too much). Yrs ago, I've tried Head & Shoulders & Selsum Blue.

What's the BEST dandruff shampoo out there (that preferrably doesn't fade haircolor)?

I never had dandruff Until after I gave birth to my son & I guess all my nutrients left lol cuz my hair became less shiny & dandruff started & I still used all the same products as b4 So I tried Head & shoulders Shampoo with Mint & I loved the tingly minty feeling on my scalp & by the second day all dandruff was gone I used entire bottle & than switched back to my normal stuff & still no dandruff!!!
smile.gif

My wife has dandruf bad and uses t/gel Daily Control 2 in 1 shampoo from Nentrogena... Safe for color treated hair and she colors her hair..

Neutrogena's T Gel shampoo is pretty good, but i could never stand the smell.

I think you should give Head&Shoulders another try, they have really improved their shampoos, and they now have a good range too, so i'm sure you can find one for colored hair.

But from my own experience, if you want to avoid dandruff make sure you use gentle products, and for a good while i was only surviving through a neutral shampoo and a nourishing conditioner for my lengths.

I have combination hair and the shampoos were too drying for my scalp, and not enough moisturising for my lengths, despite their promises.

I also switch shampoos, i have a neutral shampoo to be used in between treatment shampoos, then i have one volumising for combination hair, and one for dry hair. According to my hair that day, i will pick one or the other.

I think head and shoulder is the best shampoo of procter and gambel is the best for the dandruff. Once i was about 14-15 i had dandruff, but when i was used this i never get it again.

You can also have different varieties in the shampoo and you can use anyone according to your hair type.
yaya.gif

Head and Shoulders - hands down! Shampoo well and rinse, repeat and voila! No more dandruff!

I normally use liquid castile soap to wash my hair and my hair has definitely changed in texture. It has gotten softer and shinier even without conditioner. Usually, after shampooing, my hair would be so fried from being over-processed that I can feel it crunch even when its wet! Now, it is much softer and I can run my fingers thru it without it getting stuck in a tangle even when its wet. Its also reacting better after colouring because it usually brought on dandruff for a few days. Now, its ok.

i love love love head and shoulders! not only for dandruff, it also makes my hair very moisturized and more managable. try the smooth and silky one if you have frizzy/curly hair. or the ocean lift is great for volume. ive tried many expensive hair care brands and head and shoulders beats them all!!!

OK, I just bought Neutrogena's T/Sal for the 1st time. I'll see how that works. I may give Head & Shoulders another try one day since I haven't used it in unteen yrs. I also think I need to leave the shampoo soaking in my hair longer & repeat.

Nizoral Shampoo! (Nizoral.com) I literally only need to use it once in a while (maybe once every few weeks, or even every couple months) and my dandruff is gone. The most you'd need is once or twice per week, and use your regular shampoo the rest of the week. Head & Shoulders tends to give me more dandruff the first few times I use it, if I haven't used it for a while.

i LOVE head and shoulders. i don't have dandruff but if i'm in a pinch and need to buy some cheap shampoo, i always reach for h&s. they're just really nice shampoos.

After years of fighting the dandruff with drugstore and medical shampoos, home remedies, etc., finaly I found my miracle anti dandruff shampoo - VICHY DERCOS.

Never heard of VICHY DERCOS, but will check into that one. I assume you can only get it online. I've heard of Nizoral. Thanks guys!

Not all dandruff is the same, so you might have to try different things. The important thing to look at is the active ingredient in the shampoo.

pyrithone zinc 1% = Head & Shoulders (and most others, including the cheaper kinds of Selsun Blue)

selenium sulfide 1% = Selsun Blue

coal tar = Neutrogena T-Gel / Denorex

nizoral 1% shampoo (or 2% prescription shampoo)

Head & Shoulders is good for regular dandruff, but if you have eczema or just really bad dry scalp it doesn't work as well as the others. I found selenium sulfide and nizoral to be the only ones that work for my now-and-then flaky itchyness from eczema / seborrhea. Nizoral also functions as a DHT blocker and can reduce certain kinds of thinning hair.

Update on the VICHY DERCOS. I like it. After just the 1st use, no dandruff started when it usually has in the past, so I'll keep it up. I notice that CVS carries this brand, but I don't see the shampoo.

dito on head & shoulders! it works, it smells great, & yes they have a new line for fine hair, as well as other hairtypes. i just saw on tv garnier fructis has a new dandruff line...you may want to check that out too, IMO their stuff is great & smeells good.

Hot oil therapy is the best method to cure dandruff,massage hot oil into the scalp at bedtime,next morning an hour before the bath, rub lemon juice mixed with cosmetic vinegar into the scalp with cotton wool,wash your hair properly and as a last rinse use the juice of one lemon in a cup of hot water,Using lemon juice to wash hair this best of get rid of dandruff.

Back