15 Mascara Tricks & Tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
15 Mascara Tricks & Tips

From Elizabeth Waverly

Everything You Need to Know About Mascara

I've compiled a list of great mascara tips & tricks I want to share with you. Follow these mascara application tips & tricks and you'll save money, you'll look prettier & your eyes will look brighter & wider.

• Tip #1: Skip the lash comb. They're really just fussy. Instead, remove excess mascara by wiping the wand on a tissue, eliminating the blobs BEFORE you start.
  • Tip #2: Try a clean mascara wand. Sweep a clean, fresh mascara wand through lashes when they're wet. Don't worry, you don't have to buy them. When you finish a mascara, clean the wand in a capful of eye makeup remover, then wash with soap & dry. Keep it clean by washing it whenever you wash your makeup tools.
  • Tip #3: Skip the colored mascara. Mascara rules are simple: black works for everyone but blondes. Blondes should opt for brown/black by day & reserve black for night.
  • Tip #4: When applying mascara, wiggle the wand at the base of the lashes. It's the mascara placed near the roots (not the tips) that gives the illusion of length.
  • Tip #5: Thin, short brushes are best. A thinner brush allows you to get into the corner of eyes. Short brushes give you more control.
  • Tip #6: Give a few coats to the edges by blinking. Blink onto the brush to give ends an extra coat.
  • Tip #7: Powder under the eye before applying mascara. Sometimes mascara smudges because it's attracted to oily concealer or eye creams.
  • Tip #8: Use an eyelash curler BEFORE applying mascara. Curling lashes gives eyes the appearance of being wider & brighter.
  • Tip #9: Zig-zag the wand. Zig-zagging the wand back & forth during application helps cut down clumps.
  • Tip #10: For a dramatic look, apply mascara only to the upper lashes. To make eyes seem wider, apply to the bottom, too. But make sure you give lashes a light touch.
  • Tip #11: Use tissue. Not great at getting those bottom lashes? Try putting a tissue under them before application.
  • Tip #12: Want that 2nd coat? Just make sure to do it before the first coat dries, otherwise you'll get clumps.
  • Tip #13: Do NOT pump wand in & out of the tube. This only introduces air into the tube, which will cause your mascara to dry out sooner than it should.
  • Tip #14: Another smudge-proof tip -- bend the wand. A top makeup artist once gave his secret to his steady hand: he always bends his wand at a right angle.
  • Tip #15: Wait 5 seconds before blinking. You don't want to paint your lids, do you?
    <!--/gc-->

Great few tips there Diane! Thanks for posting
biggrin.gif

These are top tips Diane. I really have to emphasise curling your lashes before you put the mascara on, my friend did it after once and it pulled some of her eyelashes out. It took them quite a while to grow back and she looked a bit odd inbetween, like when you pluck your eyebrows too much but worse.

Good pointers to remember, thankx

Originally Posted by Diane 15 Mascara Tricks & Tips
From Elizabeth Waverly

Everything You Need to Know About Mascara

I've compiled a list of great mascara tips & tricks I want to share with you. Follow these mascara application tips & tricks and you'll save money, you'll look prettier & your eyes will look brighter & wider.

• Tip #1: Skip the lash comb. They're really just fussy. Instead, remove excess mascara by wiping the wand on a tissue, eliminating the blobs BEFORE you start.
  • Tip #2: Try a clean mascara wand. Sweep a clean, fresh mascara wand through lashes when they're wet. Don't worry, you don't have to buy them. When you finish a mascara, clean the wand in a capful of eye makeup remover, then wash with soap & dry. Keep it clean by washing it whenever you wash your makeup tools.
  • Tip #3: Skip the colored mascara. Mascara rules are simple: black works for everyone but blondes. Blondes should opt for brown/black by day & reserve black for night.
  • Tip #4: When applying mascara, wiggle the wand at the base of the lashes. It's the mascara placed near the roots (not the tips) that gives the illusion of length.
  • Tip #5: Thin, short brushes are best. A thinner brush allows you to get into the corner of eyes. Short brushes give you more control.
  • Tip #6: Give a few coats to the edges by blinking. Blink onto the brush to give ends an extra coat.
  • Tip #7: Powder under the eye before applying mascara. Sometimes mascara smudges because it's attracted to oily concealer or eye creams.
  • Tip #8: Use an eyelash curler BEFORE applying mascara. Curling lashes gives eyes the appearance of being wider & brighter.
  • Tip #9: Zig-zag the wand. Zig-zagging the wand back & forth during application helps cut down clumps.
  • Tip #10: For a dramatic look, apply mascara only to the upper lashes. To make eyes seem wider, apply to the bottom, too. But make sure you give lashes a light touch.
  • Tip #11: Use tissue. Not great at getting those bottom lashes? Try putting a tissue under them before application.
  • Tip #12: Want that 2nd coat? Just make sure to do it before the first coat dries, otherwise you'll get clumps.
  • Tip #13: Do NOT pump wand in & out of the tube. This only introduces air into the tube, which will cause your mascara to dry out sooner than it should.
  • Tip #14: Another smudge-proof tip -- bend the wand. A top makeup artist once gave his secret to his steady hand: he always bends his wand at a right angle.
  • Tip #15: Wait 5 seconds before blinking. You don't want to paint your lids, do you?
    <!--/gc-->

i will have to keep this in mind. except for the black not being for blondes granted i am not a light blonde blonde but i always use black mascara i like it better than brown/black.

Latest posts

Back