A Benefit of Organizing Your Stash

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now, I realize that my stash is miniscule compared to most of y'all, and I'm ok with that. I was working on organizing things over the past few days (made a lot of purchases recently and was beginning to forget what the heck I even had!) Won't get into the details of the organizing, since it's not even done yet, but here's the thing that made it crystal clear to me why it was a GOOD thing to organize:

It helped me discover gaps in my products so that I can feel justified about buying stuff!

Ok, that sounds a bit silly, but let me explain. As an example, I tend to focus on certain eye colors, so I feel like an idiot sometimes when I buy "yet another shade of purple" even though *I* can tell them apart and each and every one has a reason for being there. And we all know that an inexpensive bit of makeup is the easiest "pick me up" in the world. So, now that I can actually see where I have gaps (like lipstick for example--I was surprised to find that I only had about 5, which is really odd, since I wear lipstick EVERY day. Guess I've been in a gloss mood for a while), when I want that "beauty rush", I know what areas I need stuff in, so I can focus on those, rather than "yet another black nail polish".

I know, I'm goofy. But it really did make me think when I realized that I had huge gaps in products that I THOUGHT I had a lot more of. So now I know where to focus, at least :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Makes sense. It's nice to have a somewhat balanced stash, especially when it's small. Good luck organizing.

That is what happened to me when I organized my stuff. I realized that I have no blush (not sure I want any, I've never really cared for it) and I have a lot of the same color in lipstick.

same here.  i have almost infinite choices of eye shadows, but i own not a single blush.  i don't use it, either, but i see the demos on like QVC and think maybe i *should* for some reason.  i think i even have 2 quart size baggies of makeup i don't use under my sink, and i have a shallow drawer of makeup i don't use on a regular basis.  omg, i'm out of control!

i think i'm gonna need to reorganize again soon as i've gotten more stuff since i organized the first time, and i'm plumb out of room in my little make up tacklebox.  oh, and there's that little e.l.f. order i'll have arriving in about a week or so.  don't tell my hubby...  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

kris

I have an obscene amount of makeup, from high-end to low end and everything in-between. I have it organized by category: Eyes, lips, face, skincare, tools and miscellaneous. Miscellaneous has things like primers, false lashes, etc. It's separated in a large plastic shelf thing as well as a bunch of smaller shelf things, plastic trays and a bag. It takes up a lot of room and when my boyfriend and I move when our lease is up he said we can find a house with an extra room for me to put all my stuff (and his guitars too haha). I really just need a larger space to spread this stuff out! One day I should take some photographs just to overwhelm you all haha. 

PS. That reminds me, does anyone has a photo of their collection? I'd love to see something ridiculous.

Those plastic bins sold at Walmart and such really come in handy.I have a plastic box with a lid that has a handle on it; I think many women use it for crafts and items like that but I use it for beauty items.  I have a box just for nailpolishes and one just for lipsticks.  One for eyeliners.  I have one of those plastic three drawers that have wheels.  The bottom drawer contains the makeup I'm not using b/c it's not right for the season.  The middle drawer is for what I'm currently using.  And the top contains makeup remover pads, makeup sponges, my travel size set of brushes for when I leave town, my nail buffers and beauty tools such as that.  I also have a smaller box that contains items that I have taken out of the drawer that's appropriate for the season and place it on top of the drawer.  These are the items that are my favorite and I use the most and am currently obsessed with.  Basically, I love to keep my items organized and I have a lot of items to be organized.  On my vanity contains a ceramic vase that has my beauty brushes.  At least everything is separated and kept in clean containers.  Every now and then I go through each box/drawer and make sure everything is neat and clean.  It's kind of obsessive but I suppose it comes with the territory for having so much makeup! 

I agree with you. I do this all the time. I am always organizing and reorganizing and it helps me to see what I've actually got so the next time I go shopping and I pick up yet another pink eyeshadow I can remind my self that I already have about 10 lol

For hauls and stashes check out the Hauls and Stashes forum and feel free to start a thread for stash pics!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now, I realize that my stash is miniscule compared to most of y'all, and I'm ok with that. I was working on organizing things over the past few days (made a lot of purchases recently and was beginning to forget what the heck I even had!) Won't get into the details of the organizing, since it's not even done yet, but here's the thing that made it crystal clear to me why it was a GOOD thing to organize:

It helped me discover gaps in my products so that I can feel justified about buying stuff!

Ok, that sounds a bit silly, but let me explain. As an example, I tend to focus on certain eye colors, so I feel like an idiot sometimes when I buy "yet another shade of purple" even though *I* can tell them apart and each and every one has a reason for being there. And we all know that an inexpensive bit of makeup is the easiest "pick me up" in the world. So, now that I can actually see where I have gaps (like lipstick for example--I was surprised to find that I only had about 5, which is really odd, since I wear lipstick EVERY day. Guess I've been in a gloss mood for a while), when I want that "beauty rush", I know what areas I need stuff in, so I can focus on those, rather than "yet another black nail polish".

I know, I'm goofy. But it really did make me think when I realized that I had huge gaps in products that I THOUGHT I had a lot more of. So now I know where to focus, at least :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back