A man's right to choose an abortion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif In Canada, it is a constitutional right for a woman to have COMPLETE control over her reproductive rights.That means that the father of the baby had absolutely no say whether she delivers the baby or terminates the pregnancy.

If the guy didn't want to be a father than he should have gotten a vasectomy. Then he would have 100% control over his reproductive rights.

And if a guy wanted the woman to carry his child to birth rather than terminate, then he should have hired a surogate and had a legal contract with her.

This. Or at the very least he shouldn't have unprotected sex if he doesn't want kids. That's a choice he's making right there.

Originally Posted by MakeupByMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif All i know is if its okay for a women to say whether she wants it or not & make all the decisions herself ..................Than she better be whilling to take care of the kid alone (no child support) Makes no sense to say "my baby, I want it, My choice.....But YOUR Money"............really? Thats just wrongBecause It sucks when the woman wans to abort Bu he wants it...........its all complicated but i believe he should have some say..........

I agree with this as well.

True ,but your point is?

Originally Posted by equus18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Some people feel fetuses have no rights or don't consider them a human being yet. Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif And women have the nerve to wonder why the logistics of relationships are so bad in this day and age......And why men are passing them by. I doubt that is the only reason though.

I believe that the same argument can be used by both parents in that if they seriously did not want the pregnancy, then they should both have taken precautions. A woman the pill or some other contraceptive device modeled for her body and not relying on a condom. The man should make sure he is always using a condom and that the woman has assured them they also are taking alternative contraception precautions. Condoms are not full proof and both partners know this from the beginning.

Should a pregnancy happen, then both partners should have a say in the decision of an abortion unless the females doctors says there is a life threatening risk for the mother and based on lab findings and not just on the proverbial, *there is always a risk to the mother's life in every pregnancy case*, but if the lab tests back up the risk of life then yes, it is the mother's sole decision, but otherwise, they should both have equal saying. Should the mother opt for abortion and the father opt for life and there is no immediate risk of life, then the court should back the father and the child be delivered to the father at birth with the mother paying child support and still have the option to have her parental rights invoked at a later date should she have a change of heart. The very same support given to the mother in case of the father being the one that decides he does not want the life to continue and the mother opts to carry it.

Both parents know the risk of having sex even if it is protected sex as nothing short of vasectomies and female sterilization is a guarantee against pregnancy.

i think the man should be able to have some sort of say in it, but ultimately the decision lies with the woman. you're all right that it does take his sperm and her egg to make the child, but it's not his BODY that has to deal with the consequences.

whenever a man has sex with a woman, he should be doing so with the knowledge that that physical act can produce children, can force life into and change a woman's body in a way that she might not want. it's not rocket science, sex makes babies.

as for the vastectomy stuff giving men 100% control over their reproductive system.. yes.. it would.. but they can also control their reproductive system with condoms etc. women cannot control their reproductive system without abortion, nor what happens to it when a man fails to control his. it should always be the woman's choice.

the whole point of abortion is so women aren't subject to men's actions. men can have an opinion, but they can't have the final say, imo.

If the guy doesn't want a child he should wear something, that way he can be fairly sure that there will be no 'mistakes'. It takes an egg and a sperm to make a baby so I suppose a man has a right to say what happens. He doesn't have to carry it though.

If this happened as stated, I think she is wrong to try to get him to pay for it, after all she has decided to keep it.

i agree with jodevizes. the only exception i see is if the guy is told it is ok and the woman has "protection" but she lied and tried to entrap him into having a baby

Let's toss this convo:

What if you were with a man, got pregnant, told him, and he said abort the baby. He would generally be all kinds of villians. Every nasty word you could conjure up. Right? Or would you feel the same? Or is this a game of 'Who's in control' of 'I said it first?'

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif Let's toss this convo:

What if you were with a man, got pregnant, told him, and he said abort the baby. He would generally be all kinds of villians. Every nasty word you could conjure up. Right? Or would you feel the same? Or is this a game of 'Who's in control' of 'I said it first?'

It is so sad to see so many that turn it into a control issue. Both know that even in the event that both are using birth control, the woman the pill, the man a condom, that there is still a chance of pregnancy and it does happen. I do believe in choice, but an equality of choice except in the instance of life threatening risks to the woman. I do believe this should be backed up with real lab results and not just a generic letter. Although sad to see happen, if both parents are in agreement with abortion, then so be it. But if either parent decides to keep it... well both went into this knowing the risks and neither have a case of ignorance when it happens. I will always side with the parent that wants to bring this life into the world and give it a chance at life. Power control is bull****. He said, she said is no excuse for shirking parental responsibilities when pregnancy happens. You don't want the responsibility, then don't take the risk.

That is why i feel that two people who are in a loving, committed relationship and are capable of loving and caring for a young baby are the one's who should be having kids.

If you're not in that situation then an abortion should be considered (the guy should have no say) or if that is not desired then have the child and give it up to an adoption where the child has the chance for having two loving parents. In some rare cases the guy might want the child if it is up for adoption, but I would think that is the exception rather than the rule.

If I were a man, I'd have a vasectomy. And I would have my sperm frozen, to be used later.

This way, I could have all the sex I wanted and I would not cause any unwanted pregnancies.

And I would not put any woman in the position to choose between terminating or delivery an unwanted pregnancy.

When I was ready to be a responsible father, I would have my sperm unfrozen and used to impregnate the woman that has made the decision with me, to have a baby together.

So what does having a say mean? Does it mean that I can force her to terminate a pregnancy if I don't want the pregnancy to occure.

Or do I tell the woman that I would like her to keep the baby but realize that she has total and complete control over her reproductive rights.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif If I were a man, I'd have a vasectomy. And I would have my sperm frozen, to be used later.This way, I could have all the sex I wanted and I would not cause any unwanted pregnancies.

And I would not put any woman in the position to choose between terminating or delivery an unwanted pregnancy.

When I was ready to be a responsible father, I would have my sperm unfrozen and used to impregnate the woman that has made the decision with me, to have a baby together.

So what does having a say mean? Does it mean that I can force her to terminate a pregnancy if I don't want the pregnancy to occure.

Or do I tell the woman that I would like her to keep the baby but realize that she has total and complete control over her reproductive rights.

See, how smart would men be if they just put some thought in like that. That is a very solid plan to ensure you only have the babies that you want.
Personally, I think that some men need to realize that if they want to have recreational sex and put all of the responsibility on women when things go wrong, then they can't ***** when they are not considered in the decision making process. Our society lets men act like little boys. If you had to make a tough decision, would you consider the input of a little boy or a man? If these men didn't act like they are made of teflon when it comes to issues surrounding sex, then maybe their position could be taken more seriously.

I agree with you 1000% internetchick.

This is why women must have control over the decision to carry a baby to term or to terminate.

Some men and women believe that men should have control over pregnancy decision.

If men didn't want the pregnancy to occure in the first place, they could have chosen to masturbate or do oral. But because they displayed such poor control over themselves in the bedroom, they are suppose to control a pregnancy now?

Any man that is unable to control himself will not have any control over me or my body.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif Any man that is unable to control himself will not have any control over me or my body. But if you Whillingly have sex unprotected You are pretty much allowing him the controll Unless you want full control I suggest Masurbation!!!!!!Just My Opinion

Does that really work, I mean freezing the spermies and then thawing them out and using the old turkey baster? (Extreme cold is usually not real helpful when the wish is to procreate)

That idea may work Carolyn, but it kind of takes all of the romance out of making a baby. I think I would prefer it the old fashioned way although I am long over wanting any more kids. <tongue-in-cheek>

BTW Carolyn and Internetchick I fully endorse the premise you have made. Makeupbyme I agree with you too, but having unprotected sex changes the dynamic only if the woman does not inform the man of that situation.

Back