A new craze... gelish! Have you tried it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am dying to try Gelish!  I am also interested in the new magnetic stuff from Sally Hansen... there is a magnet in the applicator that brings the mettalic material to the surface for a 3D effect.  Also, Shellac by CND seems expensive, are you guys finding any great alternatives?

Originally Posted by TinaBelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I, too wondered about the intensity of the UV. I tan really easily and at 59 am starting to get age spots on my hands! I am totally unfamiliar with this, but interested.How much of the fingertips get exposed to the UV?
You can put as much of your hand inside the light as you want, but you want to put it in far enough that your nails are completely covered in the light, or the polish won't harden. You can always buy cheap gloves and cut out the fingertips!

Originally Posted by KimberlyLove /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've had it done before, it looked nice, but I hated trying to get it off. Might as well get acrylic.

http://www.kimberlylove.net/
It is a pain to get off sometimes, but if you use a buffer to break the seal of the polish and soak  them, they come off pretty well. I have a nervous habit of picking at my polish though, so I generally end up peeling it off... 

Sorry for coming into this so late... I'm interested in learning about the structure gel! My natural nails will.not.hold.a.manicure. Ugh! So I've been using acrylics but I can't afford them anymore and can't do them myself. I've resorted to 'gel' kits but they aren't the ones you are talking about. Last year I bought the system for the LED gel polishes but those peeled too. My nails are just so flimsy. Maybe if I used the structure gel that could help. Where do I get it? Is it expensive? Is it hard to use like acrylic? Thanks for any help!! Kim

I got the Sensationail kit for Christmas - and LOVE it!

I followed the instructions to the letter the first two times, but getting the polish off took HOURS, so I started using some of the tips I'd read about online.

Really important to get a lasting finish and minimum chipping/lifting-

1. Apply thin coats

2. Cap off nail edges neatly

3. Make sure the colour polish is completely sandwiched between the top and base coats

4. Don't get product on skin

These tips will give a nice finish, but to me they are more important because they really do help avoid chipping/lifting.

I've used my own nail polish with good results too.

Now I don't use the primer and still get a great result and it is a doddle to remove.  I bought a dozen finger thimbles to keep the cottom pads in place when I take the polish off.  When the bottle of top coat/base coat runs out I'm going to buy the Gelish version.

The finish is so good, I can't see me going back to normal nail varnish and I can't stop sneaking glances at my lovely nails!

I absolutely love Gelish! 

Kimmellee - I have nails that will not hold polish either. The first time I get my hands wet after a manicure, it's peeling off. Gelish stays on until I take it off. The problem is, if you want to deal with it, your nails are still flimsy when you take the Gelish off. You pretty much have to keep using Gelish to keep your nails from breaking/peeling away.

calexxia - I get bored with colors quickly, too. I just paint over the Gelish color. It stays on just fine. I buy a light pink or white when I need a new color. (It will get gooey after a while.) Then paint whatever color I like on the top coat at the end. DON"T do it while it's still wet. You have to cure the full Gelish manicure first!

I would love to try some of the other brands of gel polish, but I don't know if they will mix. (Coture base coat, then Gelish polish, then another top coat) I can't afford to buy whole sets at a time.

I tried my gel system several times and they peeled every time. With the kits I've been using lately they break and bend too. I've applied tips and used the Nailene gel system (not the Gelish system with the light, it's the type that you put the activator on and it hardens) ant the nails break after a few days. I've tried using full coverage tips and applying acrylic as the 'glue' under earth (the pharmacy tech at CVS always had such nice nails and that's what she did) but those bent and cracked even though the base was firmly on my nail. Guess the tips were cheaply made or something. Maybe I just am too rough on my hands to be able to have nice nails unless I use acrylics applied at the salon. I guess I'm doomed forever more. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If anyone is interested, the Red Carpet Nails kit is on Drugstore for $35 shipped. Slick Deals has the details on it.

Not sure if I can post a link, but just google Red Carpet Nails Pro Kit SlickDeals and it should get you to the page with the instructions!

I just bought it and I'm super excited!

How does this compare to gel overlays and acrylic as far as damage underneath? I am looking for something new. My nails grow well and are strong. I have never had fake or acrylic nails. But  at work my nail polish cannot last a day without chipping ( not sure why) but the minute i get there it chips. So i am looking for something that can hold up to my work but wont damage my already healthy nails.

Does any one know if or where you can buy the actual bottles of OPI Gel color? I've called a few salons, but they only offer the manicures using it, and I've yet to find a place that actually sells it. My sister has her eye on Eurso Euro from the Euro Centrale collection, and I really want to get it for her. So far I've only come across a single UK listing for it on ebay. but it's like $30.

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does any one know if or where you can buy the actual bottles of OPI Gel color? I've called a few salons, but they only offer the manicures using it, and I've yet to find a place that actually sells it. My sister has her eye on Eurso Euro from the Euro Centrale collection, and I really want to get it for her. So far I've only come across a single UK listing for it on ebay. but it's like $30.
ouch!

Whoops, scratch that, I ended up finding several others on ebay that are more reasonable. Still, anyone ever see OPI  Gels available to purchase in store?

Ok, I'm new to doimg nails, just started doing acrylics... sooo not in the budget, but I love it! lol.. I have no patience or talent.. so going to the "salon".

They put gel on top of it.. is that what you're talking about .. or I gather doing this at home , too? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amazon has the OPIs for around 17 - 18 dollars a bottle and some with free shipping...

.... and also a website called Beyond Polish has them...  when you order the gel you also get the bottle of regular polish as a set...  prices is 17.50 before shipping :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back