A very special NOTD: Pray for Japan!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by AmourAnnette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like I said, I've never done kanji before, and I apologized in the video if it's not spot on. I'm not going for perfection, for that I would take a class in Japanese writing. Also, I looked at a lot of pictures of kibou and they all looked a little bit different, so I just picked one. Also, I have no idea where the strokes you are talking about are. And I can't see the characters you showed (they're showing up as two blank boxes), maybe if you found me a picture :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyways, I can't change it now, and I tried. I showed it to a few Japanese friends, and they said it looks like kibou. Maybe mine just looks more like calligraphy than "printed".
Spot on or not it was pretty. I did like it. Just don't show my Japanese instructor. LOL

As for stokes, each kanji has a set number of strokes and they actually go in a certain order. If you don't write the kanji in the correct order it's wrong. LOL THAT you can blame on the Chinese since the Japanese learned kanji from them. LOL Sensei was a drill instructor in another life! LOL She could tell if the student wrote the kanji in the correct order and if it wasn't would mark the student down. Let me show you the order. This is from one of my books we used in class.

I love speaking Japanese but my goodness I do not miss writing kanji. There is only one kanji with 23 stokes and that's the kanji for kan which is using the word nenkan (yearbook). It's no wonder why the Japanese like typing now a days! Imagine having to learn 2,000 - 3,000 kanji (that's common) and each has it's own amount of strokes (in the proper order) then writing sentences with those kanji! In Japanese there are actually between 50,000 to 100,000 kanji but not all kanji is used anymore or is uncommon. To pass each level of the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test the student must master the kanji in the correct brush stroke as well as meet all the rest of the requirements.

It's still pretty and don't let me previous comment detract from how pretty and sweet it was for you do to that. I loved it even though the Japanese student in me, remembering my sensei, cringed. Like I said, she must have been a drill sergeant in another life! LOL

I really like how strict the Japanese are in everything they do, it's a wonderful change from the freedom to do things how you want here in California. We need more strictness here!

Annette, thanks for doing this... this made me teary eyed.
icon_cry.gif

You did a wonderful job... I love the color and I love the choice of the word, Kibou. I wish I can show this to my Japanese friends that have been physically and psychologically exhausted from aftershocks (a fairly big one hit Tokyo area again this morning) and blackouts.

As for the Kanji, you did a great job!!! I don't even think I can draw it as good as yours with that tiny brush!

What a lovely thoughtful manicure!!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I totally think its the thought that counts too!!! And the manicure is stunning, you did a very good job with the Kanji IMO, especially if your not familiar with it, you cant be expected to get it 100% accurate, really really love it!

Diava

X

Back