Abnormal Pap Smear

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had my first pap smear about a week ago and they just called to tell me that the results are abnormal and they need to see me again. I'm only 18 years old. Has this happened to anyone? What could be wrong? Should I be worried... because I am. Geez!
icon_question.gif
icon_confused.gif

It has happened to a ton of young people I know. It doesn't mean you have cancer. It just means that they need to do the test again. I don't understand why so many women get abnormal results when there really isn't a problem, but it seems to happen all the time. No need to worry yet. There is probably nothing wrong.

Originally Posted by ooonitsreekooo I had my first pap smear about a week ago and they just called to tell me that the results are abnormal and they need to see me again. I'm only 18 years old. Has this happened to anyone? What could be wrong? Should I be worried... because I am. Geez!
icon_question.gif
icon_confused.gif

It's very common to have an abnormal pap smear. With so many lawsuits due to undetected cancer and other illnesses, doctors have to perform other tests when there is the slightest doubt about a patient's pap smear. You shouldn't worry!

That happened to me once too (it was when I just started getting paps done) and they just retook the test a couple months later and it was fine.

Originally Posted by spazbaby It's very common to have an abnormal pap smear. With so many lawsuits due to undetected cancer and other illnesses, doctors have to perform other tests when there is the slightest doubt about a patient's pap smear. You shouldn't worry! I agree.I try not to worry unless there is something to worry about.I know its hard,but you will save your sanity this way.i also have had abnormal results but i had the test done agian and i was fine,im sure your ok,dont stress.
icon_wink.gif

Has anyone ever told any of you what causes abnormal pap results??? As many things as I've had wrong with my body, my paps have always been ok. I'm just wondering what could cause the test to come back with problems...I mean if you're healthy. Like is it medication or what could cause an abnormal pap if everything is normal??? Just wondering cuz I always ask my DR ???s like that if there's problems, like "if I'm fine then why would my test come back saying I'm not ok?"

I had an abnormal paps, however its when the CELLS are not normal, or starting to grow erratic...After the test came back, I had to go back to the Dr. and he did an internal freeze on me. A nitro-freeze is suppose to freeze the abnormal cells, and as your body temperature thaws them - they would shed out.(You have to wear a pad, you don't see anything,its just a little watery)

Then about 2-3 wks after that, had to go back for a re-pap - (same thing again )...To make a long story short, I was at a level 4 (5 being the highest) before turning cancerous- they did this procedure 3 x's to no avail - Last resort, was I was admitted as an outpatient in the hospital, and the Doctor and to go in an cut away the bad cells along the cervix and the side of my uterus.. It didn't hurt, felt nothing - just a heavy flow for a day or two.

Follow up treatment was to be pap-tested 4 'xs a year - every 3 months - if you get a normal paps each time, - then you visit the Gyno every 6 months for a year - if its normal again - then its once a year... But, to be safe, I go every six months... - don't know how I got it, or why me??? But, then again who knows why anyone gets cancer - just happens

I'm glad that they were able to catch it before it got very bad
smile.gif
people, myself included, don't really see themselves getting anything bad like cancer or anything bad. they always think that it won't happen to them.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by K*O* I had an abnormal paps, however its when the CELLS are not normal, or starting to grow erratic...After the test came back, I had to go back to the Dr. and he did an internal freeze on me. A nitro-freeze is suppose to freeze the abnormal cells, and as your body temperature thaws them - they would shed out.(You have to wear a pad, you don't see anything,its just a little watery) Then about 2-3 wks after that, had to go back for a re-pap - (same thing again )...To make a long story short, I was at a level 4 (5 being the highest) before turning cancerous- they did this procedure 3 x's to no avail - Last resort, was I was admitted as an outpatient in the hospital, and the Doctor and to go in an cut away the bad cells along the cervix and the side of my uterus.. It didn't hurt, felt nothing - just a heavy flow for a day or two.

Follow up treatment was to be pap-tested 4 'xs a year - every 3 months - if you get a normal paps each time, - then you visit the Gyno every 6 months for a year - if its normal again - then its once a year... But, to be safe, I go every six months... - don't know how I got it, or why me??? But, then again who knows why anyone gets cancer - just happens

First, don't panic. It could just be that something went wrong during testing. I had one abnormal result (a false positive) when I was 19, so I was called back for re-testing. It came back normal and they just told me that it could have been a number of things that could cause an abnormal result. When going in for a pap smear, always ask for Thin-Prep. It's accuracy is better at detecting abnormalities such as <!--StartFragment -->pre-cancerous changes on the cervix than traditional tests. Still nothing is 100% accurate, so we owe it to ourselves to get tested. Now I go twice a year, just because that one result turned me into a sort of hypochondriac.

I hope everything works out for you. Just don't make yourself crazy until you know for sure.

I just wanted to let you know that I work in an ob-gyn office and having a pap come back abnormal is not that uncommon.

Sometimes it can be caused by something as simple as having a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis (both are very common and are not sexually transmitted) or could be from exposure from HPV (human Papilloma Virus-the wart virus). It does not mean that you have HPV but means that you have been exposed.

I would not worry about it. They will probably have you come back for a repap in 3 months and then make a decision on whether or not to repap every 3-6 months or whether a colposcopy (a small picnh biopsy of the cervix-done in the office ) would be necessary.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks everyone. They are having me come back in a couple weeks. They said something about looking at my cervix under a different light to the dr. is able to see the abnormal cells. I also did some research on it. I found that it can be caused by anything from a yeast infection to cancerous cells. I was on antibiotics prior to my visit and was just getting over a yeast infection because of this... I'm hoping this is what caused the abnormality. Better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks again!

another thing that can cause a bad pap is by douching too close to your pap smear date.
icon_redface.gif
I have always thaught it would be rude not to before going in, and my pap's came up bad. I still am supposed to be getting biopsy's every 6 months, but I am soooo sick of It. (I also have pre-cancerous cells) but I am pretty sure the douching has caused a bad one at least once.

Hi ooonitsreekooo, i am sure everything will be ok. Please let us know how you get on and try not to worry (easier said than done i know).

Take Care XxX

Latest posts

Back