About the expensive products that people stock up on.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just stated my point, maybe I was harsh. I don't know anything about her and I don't want to judge since I'm on the same boat, but I certainly felt shocked when I saw all that. I have a lot myself and I decided not to buy another single item (it's been HARD) until I run out of something, because there comes a point when everything you keep adding ends up looking like something you already have.

I love my makeup and I have a lot of it, I don't regret buying it but the time has come for me to slow down. There's nothing else I could buy that could possibly look different from the products I already have, at least drastically.

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just stated my point, maybe I was harsh. I don't know anything about her and I don't want to judge since I'm on the same boat, but I certainly felt shocked when I saw all that. I have a lot myself and I decided not to buy another single item (it's been HARD) until I run out of something, because there comes a point when everything you keep adding ends up looking like something you already have.
I love my makeup and I have a lot of it, I don't regret buying it but the time has come for me to slow down. There's nothing else I could buy that could possibly look different from the products I already have, at least drastically.

I don't think you were harsh at all!
I love posts like this because it really makes me think about my spending!

There was one girl on MUA that had the neatest LITTLE stash. I think it was like 3 face products, a couple of blushes, liners, a mascara and a lip thing. I remember when I had a stash like that (I was 13, but I still remember!) and I am no happier now with a TON than I was with only a little! Its all just food for thought IMO. I didn't take the OP (or anyone else really) as putting anyone down.
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by missmelaniem /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't think you were harsh at all!
I love posts like this because it really makes me think about my spending!

There was one girl on MUA that had the neatest LITTLE stash. I think it was like 3 face products, a couple of blushes, liners, a mascara and a lip thing. I remember when I had a stash like that (I was 13, but I still remember!) and I am no happier now with a TON than I was with only a little! Its all just food for thought IMO. I didn't take the OP (or anyone else really) as putting anyone down.
biggrin.gif

That's funny you say that because the only blog I've ever written is rambling about how cool small stashes are haha. I also remember when mine was very small, I enjoyed using it just the same. I love to see pics of people's stashes with products that are very used, like hitting pan used, I don't know why. Nowadays it's hard to distinguish the line between what's a true love of makeup and what's just compulsive buying just to know you have this or that product.

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love to see pics of people's stashes with products that are very used, like hitting pan used, I don't know why. Me too! lol I find it fascinating and i dont know why.

Everyone is into different things. I must have spent over ten grand in the last 3 years upgrading my instruments (I'm a musician) but then I play at a high level and required instruments of a high standard to cope with the playing!

I never follow tuts properly, just chuck in my own similar coloured products.

xxx

I agree 100%... yes, people can do what they want with their money, but imo spending thousands of dollars on makeup is ridiculous. I understand people like options and different colors, but jeez its not worth it!! You could get so much more out of all that money. Makeup is a lil hobby for me, but I would never buy so much and then only use half of it. Plus I look best with just simple makeup, no cool lookin shadow, no blush, you know, the "extra" stuff.... I dont buy MAC cuz its crazy expensive for me (and im cheap) but I guess if you have the money for all that, do what you do but imo you're crazy
smile.gif

It kills me when I see someone with a huge, expensive collection; yet all the makeup in the world can't help em.....
redsealed.gif
eeeh i feel evil now, forgive me!

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's funny you say that because the only blog I've ever written is rambling about how cool small stashes are haha. I also remember when mine was very small, I enjoyed using it just the same. I love to see pics of people's stashes with products that are very used, like hitting pan used, I don't know why. Nowadays it's hard to distinguish the line between what's a true love of makeup and what's just compulsive buying just to know you have this or that product. On another MU BB that I am on sometimes people do "pan pron" where people post pics of their MU items that have hit pan. Isn't that funny? I get something out of seeing those posts.... I love em!
7b.gif

I remember the last time I hit pan on color (not including face powder or concealer, foundation, things like that) was many, many, years ago. Now one of my goals is to hit pan on some color!
biggrin.gif

My opinion is this: If you have the money, buy what you want. It's no different than the money people spend on other "hobbies". I might think things like "When will she ever use all of that" but I do buy higher end products. It's just my preference and as long as you (meaning anyone) aren't footing the bill, why should you care? In fact, my problem is all the bath and body type stuff that I have. I can't even help myself anymore and I do use all of it. So if I posted a pic of that there is no doubt someone would think I was crazy for spending my money on it......key part is that it is "my" money.

Originally Posted by LaItaliana /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree 100%... yes, people can do what they want with their money, but imo spending thousands of dollars on makeup is ridiculous. I understand people like options and different colors, but jeez its not worth it!! You could get so much more out of all that money. Makeup is a lil hobby for me, but I would never buy so much and then only use half of it. Plus I look best with just simple makeup, no cool lookin shadow, no blush, you know, the "extra" stuff.... I dont buy MAC cuz its crazy expensive for me (and im cheap) but I guess if you have the money for all that, do what you do but imo you're crazy
smile.gif

It kills me when I see someone with a huge, expensive collection; yet all the makeup in the world can't help em.....
redsealed.gif
eeeh i feel evil now, forgive me!

I look at my OWN stash and think: Why the HECK did I buy all that carp, and I don't have but a fraction of what I have seen a lot of people have.
I think its a distraction for a lot of people, like compulsive spenders (its weird to read sites like Debtors Anonymous -- you kinda get an idea of what I am talkin about)

Anyway, to each her own!

Oooh, controversial.
wink.gif

I'm going to stick on the side of obsessive buying is a complete waste, mostly because (and having been trawling these boards for a few weeks now and seeing all the MAC addicts, I'm so glad that people on this board have the same problem!) I can't afford to just buy high-end make-up. I can understand why MAC have such a crazy cult following, because I do think that their range is phenomenal and a lot of their stuff is just plain fabulous, but to see someone buy for the sake of buying is heart-breaking, IMHO.

I do understand the view that a lot of people have expressed on this board (some extremely defensively, haha!) that if it's your money, and it makes you happy, then why should anyone else care? My sister is constantly telling me off for buying too much make-up, and my reaction to that is pretty much sod off, because it's my money and my face (also not entirely fair, because I feel really guilty spending £20 in one go at Boots)

The thing is, though; make-up isn't, and shouldn't be, a collector's item! It's meant to be used, to be loved and cherished!
bawling.gif
It's like having a fridge full of lovely food and just watching it go rotten because you haven't eaten it!

You paid good money for that cake, so EAT IT, people!
smile.gif

OH, just a few more things I forgot to add! (Gahhh, when will the cocky little Brit shut UP, they ask!)

I searched for the video, because in a perverse way I really wanted to see this crazy stash, and I did find this vid (YouTube - Make-Up Stash) which in fact extends over four or five vids, I believe. The saddest thing was that she kept picking up stuff and going, 'Oh, this is terrible, I never use this,' 'I don't know why I keep buying these, I hate them, but I just buy them anyway.' I'm watching it atm, and she's just said about a blusher, 'Big disappointment. Oh my God, these are terrible, I hate them! Um, I bought four of the colours, I was going to buy all of them at the time without even trying them, but I only bought four because they all look the same on, it's just a waste of money, completely.' (And that's verbatim, people.
wink.gif
)

Firstly, I don't understand why anyone would buy ALL the colours from a blusher line (surely they don't all suit your complexion?!), especially without trying them first, and secondly, if they don't suit, take them back! If you've never used something, take it back! Get a refund, or an exchange for something you WILL use! Please tell me there's no-one here that thinks having drawers full of make-up that you hate and don't even use isn't a waste of money??

(Sorry for the wall-of-texts rants, people, I just get fired up!
redsealed.gif
)

Originally Posted by Pipsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif The thing is, though; make-up isn't, and shouldn't be, a collector's item! It's meant to be used, to be loved and cherished!
bawling.gif
It's like having a fridge full of lovely food and just watching it go rotten because you haven't eaten it! Excellent point, that's how I feel. The bottom line though is, if a person has the money to spend on all of that makeup.. they definitely are entitled to. I think if it's all going to go untouched, that's a shame... collect something like shoes.
Like I said before i was on the verge of having one of those HUGE... "I'll never be able to touch it all if i tried" stashes. I think the whole beauty expiration thing changed my view... because foundations, mascaras, etc. just shouldn't last that long. I know I don't want to put something on my face or on my eyes that was sitting in a drawer for 3 or 4 years. Gross. Shadows and blushes have a little longer shelf life, and not as bad to have tons of... I personally think shadows could last 5-8 years.

Originally Posted by Pipsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif I searched for the video, because in a perverse way I really wanted to see this crazy stash, and I did find this vid (YouTube - Make-Up Stash) which in fact extends over four or five vids, I believe. The saddest thing was that she kept picking up stuff and going, 'Oh, this is terrible, I never use this,' 'I don't know why I keep buying these, I hate them, but I just buy them anyway.' I'm watching it atm, and she's just said about a blusher, 'Big disappointment. Oh my God, these are terrible, I hate them! Um, I bought four of the colours, I was going to buy all of them at the time without even trying them, but I only bought four because they all look the same on, it's just a waste of money, completely.' (And that's verbatim, people.
wink.gif
) I'm wondering if this was the same video that everyone else is talking about, that's in our video forum. I just don't think it was 4 or 5 videos long, and I don't remember her saying things like "this was terrible.. i hate them," etc.
I don't know. I have to agree with the posters that said they love seeing stashes with e/s and blushes that are hitting the pan, lipsticks half used.. all of that. I love that too. I don't think it has anything to do with high end vs. low end makeup. It's more like having a stash that gets used... vs. barely touched.

I know I am a mascara freak, and in the search to find the perfect mascara (if there is one) I bought 20+ mascaras. Well now I have to throw most of them out, because mascara has what... a 3 month shelf life tops. That's a waste.

I will never get down on any of my MUT girls though, or people who post youtube videos either. I understand their obsession. It is their own money, and they have the right to buy what they want. Hopefully all of their products aren't going to waste though.

i dont really care what she spends her money on-- whatever makes her happy right?

its a great thread though- after reading through all the comments, i forced myself to look at my makeup collection and how much ive spent on things i dont use/have had to throw it. its amazing how i am *always broke* and yet manage to find money to buy something else, usually makeup related. i'm especially prone to making impulse buys, especially for limited editions items (im such a sucker for these two words).

am trying to be stricter on what i spend my money on. after a while, the multiple coral blushes i have look the same on my face. they might be different when i swatch them (ie. one is slightly pinker in tone on my hand than the other) but no one would know the difference if i alternated these two blushes everyday.

Originally Posted by Pipsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif I searched for the video, because in a perverse way I really wanted to see this crazy stash, and I did find this vid (YouTube - Make-Up Stash) which in fact extends over four or five vids, I believe. The saddest thing was that she kept picking up stuff and going, 'Oh, this is terrible, I never use this,' 'I don't know why I keep buying these, I hate them, but I just buy them anyway.' I'm watching it atm, and she's just said about a blusher, 'Big disappointment. Oh my God, these are terrible, I hate them! Um, I bought four of the colours, I was going to buy all of them at the time without even trying them, but I only bought four because they all look the same on, it's just a waste of money, completely.' (And that's verbatim, people.
wink.gif
) I don't think that's the one we were talking about. This is it:
https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f12...ion-72773.html

It goes without saying that a person can spend her money any way she chooses. It also goes without saying that I can have an opinion about how someone spends her money. I think this woman is demonstrating obsessive behavior.

On a couple of occasions she says "I just have them for the sake of having them." She also shows at least 20+ lip colors that she claims to "use every day."

I understand the tendency to hoard, but I still think it's not healthy behavior.

Well Ladies. Let's all agree to disagree. We all have opinions and we are all entitled to them and as long as we keep stating them like adults, we can continue to keep stating them here.

I do agree that the spending is obsessive and no someone does not need every color of blush, obviously. The only thing I am saying is that I don't care. You want to "waste" money on every blush color, it's your bank account. It reminds me of my ex sister in law. She had 400 pair of shoes. There were shoes that were several years old that were still in the box and had never been worn. She refused to get rid of any of them. I mean...how many pairs of black pumps does one person really need?

Originally Posted by JoyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif It goes without saying that a person can spend her money any way she chooses. It also goes without saying that I can have an opinion about how someone spends her money. I think this woman is demonstrating obsessive behavior.
On a couple of occasions she says "I just have them for the sake of having them." She also shows at least 20+ lip colors that she claims to "use every day."

I understand the tendency to hoard, but I still think it's not healthy behavior.

Yeah, that is kinda what I was pointing to. Its definitely indicative of a problem.

I think that if I kept all of the makeup that I had bought (I hate to return stuff and end up giving it away) for 4 years, then I might have around the same amount. I saw a whole lot of MAC (which is cheap compared to Chanel, BB, GA, etc.) and a whole lot of drugstore with a few Lancomes in there. Everyone has their addiction(s) and make up just happens to be ours. I just didn't see how she could keep track of what she had and there were probably some repeats in there. If I got a big MAC discount, I would buy everything they had and duplicates of my favorite e/s and lippies.

Originally Posted by Pipsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif The thing is, though; make-up isn't, and shouldn't be, a collector's item! It's meant to be used, to be loved and cherished!
bawling.gif
It's like having a fridge full of lovely food and just watching it go rotten because you haven't eaten it! I love that. I was making the same comparison, makeup with food, to myself but couldn't find a way to write it. You did it best.

Back