Al Rant/Drama - shocking

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agreed.I won't let them earn my $$$ even they have great products .What is the point to let them earn when the CS sucks like hell!I might as well let small mmu company to earn which offer the best CS & great stuff
smile.gif

I wouldn't give my money to this woman/company if she made every HG product I've ever wanted! After reading all the links here and googling some more....this seems to be the worst behavior of an owner I've ever come across! What shocked me the most ......is how so many of her Aromalemmings stick up for her. I can't think of any reason that would excuse this kind of behavior. It's unprofessional, unethical and inexcusable. I have my own business. I don't advertise and don't have a store front to use. Every client I have, I've gotten thru referrals. I'd be finished if I ever acted like this with clients, blogged about them or worse still tweeted or made comments like that on their blogs. She needs to enroll in a business etiquette class! She has no sense of decorum.
wacko.gif

My sympathy goes to anyone who has suffered at her hands.

I want to bring everyone's attention here: I am not trying to pick on Kristen out of anything, but I thought that if she happened to read this post, please think about it. I know personal emotions got the best of us, however, we still had to act what's appropriate. I know probably you felt like Jen had not talk about the points, but your post made it sound like you gave her a lot. Now the reward system states that "150 points = 10% off" which is still nice that you offered to Jen, but that's based on you changed the reward system without notices. If you did promise something, give notice so customers do have time to react to it. (not if someone spent that much on your products)

Thank everyone for commenting. To ibasttpwanse: Last time I read a post thru a comment and it is a fan well over-reacted a bit and called out anyone who harassed Kristen to (well, above many things unpleasant). However, the owner has since removed her rant and apologized for it. So, I do respect that and therefore will not be naming it. There are things people disagree on and it's nice to see things turn for the better. I'm sorry for anyone who have been in this situation.
frown.gif
Take care though!

EDITED to ADD: Tally's rant4theugly post I've been there but today I checked and I find that there seems to be a lot more thumbs down from last week... Looks like AL fans stirke back. However, if you look at some posts, they're very mild but friendly comments stating they "like the product but don't like how the owner treats some people". I encourage people to read those comments one by one and not care about those negative ratings.
wink.gif

The ladies who have shared personal experiences (as well as myself) are not bad people or drama queens and I truly believe Kristen knows that, because she's an intelligent woman. However, I don't think anything we write here is going to convince her she has said anything wrong...ever, because she's too proud to admit it and is void of professional integrity. People of integrity, are able to admit their error and change it, without being seen as weak.

I've been on her side of the fence, as an AL fan, and I've been ON the fence, when witnessing what happened to Tally7, on the AL forum. Now, I believe I'm on the other side of the tracks, since I've shared my experience on rant4theugly.wordpress.com.

Honesty has been treated as an act of hatred by Kristen and I wish she could understand that AL customers aren't looking for a cause to hate or torment her. We want to be heard and understood as much as she wants to be understood. It could be a win-win situation for all, if Kristen would adopt some humility.

Originally Posted by Sassybanjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif Honesty has been treated as an act of hatred by Kristen and I wish she could understand that AL customers aren't looking for a cause to hate or torment her. We want to be heard and understood as much as she wants to be understood. It could be a win-win situation for all, if Kristen would adopt some humility. I wholeheartedly agree with you, Sassybanjo!

I am shocked to report, that I have many links which indicate aromaleigh has been using ingredients in their eyeshadows that are not FDA approved for use around the eyes.

Evidence of Aromaleigh using shadows not FDA approved for use around the eyes on Etsy, as of December, 2009:

Aromaleigh Rocks Sonic Eyes Pigments for by AromaleighMinerals[0]=tags

(I have webshots)

According to this PR release (from PRWeb © ):

Aromaleigh Mineral Cosmetics Rocks! Literally...

(Once again, I have a webshot)

According to all my links, the ingredients in the rocks! shadows were at least up to November 2009 :

"Ingredients: mica(CI 77019), titanium dioxide(CI 77891), iron oxides(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). May contain polyester-3, D&C yellow 5 and 11, D&C orange 5, D&C violet 2, D&C blue 1, D&C red 22, 28 and 40, calcium sodium borosilicate, ferric ferrocyanide (CI 77510), tin oxide (CI 77861).

"

The ingredients in the Les Papillons collection were, according to Phyrra's in depth review and the labels on my jars, at least up to November, 2009:

"Ingredients: Mica,Titanium Dioxide May contain: Ferric Oxide, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Chromium Oxide, Ultramarines, Bronze/Copper/Aluminum Powder, Tin Dioxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, D&C orange 5, D&C violet 2, D&C blue 1, D&C red 7"

And now, according to the website, the ingredient list is:

Ingredients: Mica,Titanium Dioxide May contain: Ferric Oxide, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Chromium Oxide, Ultramarines, Bronze/Copper/Aluminum Powder, Tin Dioxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, D&C orange 5, D&C blue 1, D&C red 7

http://www.aromaleigh.com/new.html

Also, colors that were listed as having D&C dyes at the link below no longer have them according to the link above:

http://www.sparklecrackcentral.com/M...ns_collection/

Now, the FDA says about the colors D&C red 22, 28, and the color D&C orange 5, among other colors:

"Only the following fluorescent colors are approved for use in cosmetics, and there are limits on their intended uses"

Color Additives and Cosmetics

And furthermore, about the colors D&C red 7, 22, 28, D&C orange 5, D&C yellow 11, D&C violet 2:

Color Additives Permitted for Use in Cosmetics

That D&C red 7, 22, 28, D&C yellow 11, D&C violet 2 and D&C orange 5 are not approved for use around the eye area.

And more evidence (this shadow only contains Red 22):

** RETIRED 2/6/10- Phaedra" eyeshadow by Aromaleigh Angel Phyrra Nyx- 23 jars sold, $92 donated to Donorschoose.org!

Now, the ingredient list for the aromaleigh rocks! shadows has changed to:

Rocks! Sonic Eyes

"Ingredients: mica(CI 77019), titanium dioxide(CI 77891), iron oxides(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). May contain polyester-3, D&C yellow 5, D&C blue 1, D&C red 40, calcium sodium borosilicate, ferric ferrocyanide (CI 77510), tin oxide (CI 77861)."

Just try googling

aromaleigh "D&C red 22"

One final link from a highly esteemed blogger friend of mine (she also lists the non eye safe ingredients):

Aromaleigh Cosmetics - an in-depth Review |Fresco Phyrra

Based on the most recent listing of ingredients not approved for eye use and the above link, the ingredient listings change must have occured between November 2009 and now.

I'll also link to my post regarding the safety in general of black light responsive shadows:

https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f12...fe-104168.html

I was not the first to recognize this problem, although I am very glad that someone did, since I own several Aromaleigh black light reactive shadows. In fact, at first I defended aromaleigh's integrity, until I saw that I made the mistake of thinking that TKB's black light reactive pigments were eye safe when in fact

Fluorescent Soft Pink

"These colors are great for novelty cosmetics and personal care products. They are not approved for use around the eyes."

And here is proof that I first defended aromaleigh:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...45145110148029

I hope for aromaleigh's sake that eye safe black light reactive pigments do exist, and that all the ingredient listings that I linked to are wrong.

I am currently having a logical discussion about this with Phyrra on her blog. Hopefully, this issue will be resolved. Please, only logical comments here. Thanks a bunch!

Right now, on on the Skin Deep Cosmetics Safety Database, there is a hazard rating of 1-4 depending on usage for D&C Red 22, where 3 to 6 is a moderate hazard, but it still says on Skin Deep that Red 22 is not FDA approved for cosmetics used around the eyes.

RED 22 || Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Reviews

Phyrra has also emailed Kristen about the ingredient change, specifically why the questionable ingredients have been removed.

Here is the official response from Kristen:

When Aromaleigh first created the Rocks line, pre-mixed base colors were used with a 'may contain' list on them. It was the same for the lipsticks, too. Pre-mixed liquid color toners were used to create the shades, not powdered dye. Just like the lipsticks, all of the 'may contain' ingredients on the premixed tone colors had to be listed. When evaluating ways to improve Aromaleigh, the company realized that it was more cost-efficient to make the shadows from batch-certified dyes that did not have any 'may contain' ingredients. This is why the ingredients list changed.

To me, that is not enough, because it does not explain why suddenly, without explanation, only the non FDA approved colors were no longer in the ingredients list. If I were a business owner, and suddenly changed an ingredients list, then I would notify my customers as to why. Also, the eye safe colors, are also listed under "May Contain" so why weren't they removed too?

If you go to Phyrra's blog, btw, you can see some of aromaleigh's fans in action!

Even if it IS true that those non eye safe ingredients were there in trace amounts, that is still too much for me.

Only the ingredients removed from the list could have caused the colors to be black light reactive given the current list of ingredients that are still there.

Well put Tally and Sheveritas!! Thank you SO VERY MUCH for all your hard work and research and for sharing so boldly the truth you have found. You Ladies really did your homework!! You've just saved my eyes and my health, along with everyone elses. When this does break out as a bigger story, the 2 of you can say we were all warned. I do hope more people see this for what it is. You guys are only trying to help others be well informed to make well informed choices with this shocking news. This has NOTHING to do with a personal attack against the owner of AL. To believe it's personal is to be foolish no matter how many ways you look at this issue and no matter how intelligent you may see yourself. Don't try to talk yourself out of simple logic... Let us all see the true big picture together and just help one another. Now if there were only more 'Tallys' and 'Sheveritas' around in cyber space!!!
biggrin.gif

Keep up the grand investigating, Ladies!!! Now, to go clean out my vanity of anything toxic...

If you want to do a screen shot, press "ctrl" and the button "Prt Screen" (usually at the upper right hand corner of your keyboard) at the same time. This action takes a "picture" of everything that is currently on your screen and sends it to your clipboard. Then you can just paste the image into any document like Word. You will probably have to repeat this process several times as once screen shot doesn't cover a full webpage.

To the Aromaleigh fans: I do have my own personal problems with the way Kristen treated with me. And I overreacted with her in that past drama episode in December 2009 just as she overreacted with me. However, following the drama on Jennifae's blog lead me to possible trouble with the rocks collection. If my following her current bashing of a customer lead to my finding out this shocking information, I am glad to have followed the comments on Jennifae's blog so closely. For your safety, ignore the drama, pay attention to the facts.

The rocks ingredients:

picture.jpg

The Les Papillons ingredients:

papillons.jpg

Unfortunately, facts are facts. I am glad that someone who has never had a run in with Kristen is able to confirm this information. This is safety, here people, plain and simple. I am throwing out my black light rocks! shadows, and I'd advice others to do the same. I am keeping all my other rocks! shadows. This isn't "throw out all your AL makeup" but instead "something dangerous may be in some of it" (although now I am not so sure, because the Les Papillons collection contains at least two and maybe more non FDA eye safe approved ingredients, and none of the those colors are listed as blacklight reactive on the Aromaleigh website).

And this applies to all "black light" reactive makeup. In the other post regarding black light makeup, a couple of readers said they thought it might not be safe, and definitely not for every day use. The brand Kryolan was mentioned. I have yet to see an ingredients list for the "Kryolan 5 Color Blacklight Dayglow Eye Shadow" palette. There is a mention of the product being non-toxic, but there is no mention of it being safe for use around the eyes. There is a difference. Just as there is a difference between "FDA approved" and "FDA approved for use around the eyes". The FDA approves certain colorants for use on the body and/or on the lips, but not for use on the eyes.

Kryolan 5 Color Blacklight Dayglow Eye Shadow Kit

My view is that just because a large company is getting away with it doesn't mean a smaller indie company should too. To my knowledge, there are no black light responsive pigments are eye safe. And definitely, the black light responsive pigments listed on the rocks! ingredients list are not eye safe.

A link proving that there were at one time unsafe pigments listed.

http://web.archive.org/web/200808220...soniceyes.html

I agree, fessing up and allowing the consumers to make informed decisions about whether or not to keep their rocks! black light shadows would be the best course of action.

FYI following Phyrra's in depth review post, another collection besides the rocks! collection contains non approved for eye use ingredients including: Les Papillons (D&C violet 2, according to Phyrra's post and my ingredients label, D&C orange 5, and D&C red 7 still on the website)

And the Le Mysteres also list the offending ingredients, of course, since they are a mix of all ingredients

Les Papillons:

http://www.aromaleigh.com/new.html

Le Mystere:

http://www.aromaleigh.com/lemyoneofkie.html

It's too bad. Two of my all time favorite Aromaleigh eyeshadows, Crimson Mimicry, and Air and Light, are from that collection. (Crimson Mimicry used to be starred as containing D&C dyes although it no longer is starred on the website:

http://www.sparklecrackcentral.com/M...ns_collection/

)

The aromaleigh website was down (I learned this when following the above link) and I thought it was because Kristen would be removing the offending ingredient from the ingredients list. But it is back up with D&C orange 5 and D&C red 7 still there.

Thank you for the info. This is really bad news for me. I didn't plan to order from AL again after the way she treated Jennifae (I know she was rude to a lot of people before, but I know Jennifae from another forum and follow her blog and so it's different), but I really love the samples I have and I'm getting more in a swap. I'm worried as anything I put near the inner corner gets inside my eyes.

I'm bummed too. At least you only have samples! I just looked through my stash today, and a total of 36 full sized eyeshadows from the rocks! and Les Papillons collections have the non FDA approved ingredients on their labels. That's over $200 worth
pedro.gif

Hi all!

I had to delete my post/blog at the advice of my lawyer. Technically anything factual won't hold up in court as libel, but he said it's better to just take it down as it is garnering some negative attention from 'the fans' and kristen.

I guess we touched a nerve. =D

I'm taking his advice and reporting the offense to the FDA and letting them handle it (or not handle it), and be done with it. I probably should have done that to begin with. If you're concerned with the fact that the ingredients of the eyeshadows state non FDA approved dyes for eye are, you may want to do the same because that is really the only action that will yield results and hopefully prevent other companies from doing the same.

Good luck all!

**disclaimer: All information posted under the pen name Sheveritas is written in the spirit of fair comment and criticism. Opinions are not intended to be taken as fact. And facts will speak for themselves.

Oh, good luck to you. Thank God for someone like you who will risk so much for people's safety. I can't express my gratitude in words for your bravery. I wish I could do the same and it has tormented me that I cannot report aromaleigh, risking customers' safety worldwide.

If you need any aromaleigh shadows with the non approved ingredients listed on their stickers for evidence, just give send me a private message.

I can't report them because of my past run-in with Kristen. And trust me, I got a "bit" of hate do to even reporting this due to my past run-in. But it was SO scary for me to find unsafe ingredients listed on my eyeshadows. This is as far as I can go due to my previous involvement.

I must say, my opinion of her, which was still high despite our fight in December (Re: my other posts, "kindred spirit", "positive changes at aromaleigh"), has dropped totally since I've seen what she has done.

Please, anybody who hasn't had any personal involvement with Kristen, please do what you can to spread the word or follow sheveritas actions. It is unthinkable to me that people are using ingredients on their eyes that I would only expect from a "no name brand" from ebay, not from a mineral makeup company that prides itself on its ingredients being "good for you".

My heart goes out to everyone who has been harassed by the 'fans' and also those that have had negative run ins with Kristen. I've read a lot of things lately that made my stomach turn...really nice people that were really hurt by the behaviors shared in this thread.

I'm glad to see people standing up for themselves.

Tally, I can't pm you because I need 50 posts...I did get your pm and I agree with what you said.

Thanks for taking the brunt of the mean-ness. It's a brave thing to stand up for what you think is right even when you have people trying to tear you down and doubt yourself.

As for the harassment and attacks, please stop contacting me.

Thanks!

P.S. Some info on online harassment:

Advice to Give to Victims for Safe Internet Use:

• Be careful about posting personal or private information.
  • Check the harassment policies of your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
  • Do not use your full name for your user ID, and change your password often.
  • Report harassing e-mail or chat room abuse to your ISP. If you know the ISP of the person, tell that ISP too. They can cut off the person's account if it is being used to harass others. Ask about tools to block unwanted communication.
  • Do a Web search on cyberstalking. You will find many sites with tips and information. Some can help track down harassers, document their origin and send reports to you or the police.
(source canadian dept. of justice site)
**disclaimer: All information posted under the pen name Sheveritas is written in the spirit of fair comment and criticism. Opinions are not intended to be taken as fact. And facts will speak for themselves.

My goodness, I can't believe that people are harassing you for trying to protect people's safety. I am so sorry. I know how that is. I just ignore it. If I see that a comment or email is going to be a personal attack, I either just glance over it or don't read it at all. Why is it wrong to report someone using unsafe ingredients? What I don't get is these fans would rather using something unsafe than open up their eyes.

Have you noticed that the unsafe ingredients are not limited to the rocks! collection, but are also in the Les Papillons collection and the Le Mystere collection?

I'm sending you another pm since you can at least read those. Please read it. Thanks!

I did notice that. Has their been any explanation as to why the non approved dyes are on the labels of those? The explanation for the rocks doesn't quite fit.

I've reported everything. I don't know if anything will come of it or if your jars will be needed. But I'll keep your email in case.

So, sheveritas... when Aromaleigh Customer Service got an email from "Iame Veritas" sheveritas at xxxmail dot com and the IP address was the exact same IP address as that of a certain Mineral Makeup Company whose owner was an avid Aromaleigh customer, forum contributor and creator of gorgeous makeup looks (many of which Aromaleigh paid for and still displays in their customer gallery)...

Well, my question is... was THAT just a "pen name"? That's a convenient way to talk your way out of the fact that A) you're a Mineral Makeup Company owner who has conveniently deleted A LOT of content that could get you in trouble B) You wrote TO Aromaleigh posing as a fake identity, but dumb move- you used your company's IP address: 69.31.250.10 C) You're the owner of a mineral cosmetic company who is clearly involved in a calculcated and very direct attempt to defame and sabotage another company- and you're doing it under a fake identity, which is despicable.

My flick account is wide open ladies, and ALL of the screen captures, including who is the REAL identity behind the Rant4theUgly, is all there.

Sheveritas, I will quote a letter you wrote to me when I started the mineral makeup mutiny:

First, I'd like to say I commend you on starting the mutiny. It is creative independent companies like Aromaleigh that inspired me to start my own company. Also, I think it is important to educate the consumers about what is out there, as well as educate the business owners.

After reading so many blog entries about repackaging, I decided to label the few micas that I do not formuate on my site so that there is never any question. I'd hate to have a customer feel ripped off by me or feel disappointed in their product that they purchased.

With that said, I'd love to add my name to the list of companies that creates their products. Creating my makeup is my passion!!

Thank you for fighting the good fight,

(company owner with IP address of 69.31.250.10)

How much water does your little hate campaign hold when everyone now knows, without refute- how sad it is that the owner of a fledgling mineral makeup company, who was once an Aromaleigh customer and INSPIRED by Aromaleigh to start their own company is now ironically involved in sabotage.

There are so many of us that have screencaps, IP addresses and proof of what you've done AND the cover-up and post/livejournal/forum deletions that you did last night, that you can't cover this one up, Je... oh, I mean SheVeritas.

By the way, Verita is Aromaleigh's most popular rouge color.

Good luck. You had everything going for you. A growing company, talent, creativity, a beautiful face that was an amazing canvas for your products.

I will repost one of your recent tweets, which I find most incredibly ironic, considering the course of action you have taken against the company that inspired you to start your own, and even gave you the start of your customer base- all of your Aromaleigh forum friends, who started to follow you at MySpace, Vox, etc... they all wondered what happened to MoonSugar! One day, she dropped off the face of the earth, never to be seen again on the Aromaleigh forum. Several months later, all of the Aromaleigh customers that had grown to trust you, care about you and befriend you? They received a MySpace bulletin announcing your new company. You can't refute that.

But, the tweet:

RT @ReneeRouleau: Never worry about your competitors. Jealousy won't get you anywhere. Focus your energy in a positive way.

11:01 AM Apr 21st via Mixero

And with that, I leave you with the truth about a really sad situation.

And notice- I post as MYSELF, with my face and my location, Not a fabricated identity stating I am from Belize!

From this day forward, no more posting about this topic. We cannot accept makeuptalk.com being used as a platform for this type of situation. Thread closed.

If you feel that ingredients are not FDA approved, please contact them:

phone: 1-888-INFO-FDA

Also you can contact the BBB

website: United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings

Any member can feel free to post a review of any Aromaleigh product in our review center.

There is a complaint website that I have seen constantly being advertised here so please feel free to join rant4theugly.com....google it. That is the best place to lodge complaints again Aromaleigh and any other makeup brand/company/makeup forum.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact myself as at this point we know about this situation.

Have a good day to all!!

Back