All Things Natural Hair!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bonus from Shea Moisture.  Purchase a copy of Curly Nikki's book "Better than Good Hair"by Feb. 2nd , register and you'll receive a $10 SheaMoisture coupon.  You'll have to upload your receipt for the purchase when you register.  Can't wait to read this book.  Lemeno if you do and what you think about it once you read it.

Originally Posted by Deenellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're a natural, you must've heard of Curly-Nikki; Nikki Walton, a natural hair guru. 

She's got a great website catering to natural hair; www.curlynikki.com

She has a brand new book coming out called "Better than Good Hair", a curl girl's guide to healthly, gorgeous natural hair. 

It’s on sale for $9.99 (e-reader), physical copy, the pre-order price is $10.98. The regular price is $14.99.   Available for pre-orders, Publication date is January 29, 2013..

Quote: " So, I wrote a book, y’all…and it's (appropriately) titled, 'Better Than Good Hair,' ‘cause we’re not only rejecting the notion of ‘good hair’, we’re showing women that their own hair is BOMB and better than good -- it's the greatest."

Its a fresh new handbook on how to achieve and maintain stylish natural hair, from the savviest and most revered expert on coils and curls

These days there's a revolution going on. Relaxers are out. Weaves are so yesterday. Tired of damage from expensive chemical treatments and artificial enhancers, women of color are going natural thanks to Nikki Walton of CurlyNikki.com, the natural hair blogger and online hair therapy expert.

In Better Than Good Hair, this gifted "curl whisperer" educates women on how to transition from relaxed to completely natural hair, with advice and styles for every length—from Fierce Braid-and-Curls to Fancy Faux Buns. She also counsels those considering the "big chop"—cutting it all off at once to sport a bold and beautiful "teeny weeny afro." Here, too, is essential guidance for parents of mixed-race children dealing with new and unfamiliar hair textures and styles.

Combining Walton's expansive knowledge with tips from other experts in the field, Better Than Good Hair includes:

• Product recommendations
  • Home hair care recipes
  • Advice for parents on how to manage their children's natural hair
  • Tips for using henna on gray hair
  • Guidance on dealing with detractors
  • Step-by-step illustrated directions for nearly two dozen hairdos, from frohawks to twist-outs

Sounds fantastic!! I think I'm going to order a copy.  I like reading and holding books in my hands! I'm kindle and e-book challenged!

Let me know if you're going to order and what you think about it when you get your hands on it. 

Looking forward to reading this book and hearing from you! 
claps.gif

Oh No!  My hair would be a brillo pad if I did!  It's pretty bad now.  I shampoo once a week.  I'm supposed to co-wash mid week and then shampoo on hair day, but my hair can be such an ordeal, I get lazy with it!

Oh No!  My hair would be a brillo pad if I did!  It's pretty bad now.  I shampoo once a week.  I'm supposed to co-wash mid week and then shampoo on hair day, but my hair can be such an ordeal, I get lazy with it!
Lucky! My scalp gets oily and smells bad! I have no choice but to shampoo every other day. I tried co washing and it gave me really bad build up. My ends started breaking off after a few days and I had to do a clarifying treatment. Do you have any suggestions for hair products?

Have you tried baking soda?  That's a natural use for clarifying.  You mix like 1 Tblsp of baking soda and water and add a cheap conditioner.  Place on scalp and hair for 1/2 hr or longer if you wish.  The baking soda will cleanse (and not strip hair of moisture) and opens the cuticle so the conditioner will penetrate; the conditioner will take care of the hair dryness.  Some people mix baking soda, amino acids and yogurt.  I also use a curling cream by As I am.  It cleanses and moisturizes. It contains natural ingredients to cleanse.  You can always check You-tube for tutorials or curly nikki website.  Let us know how it goes.

A bonus from Shea Moisture.  Purchase a copy of Curly Nikki's book "Better than Good Hair"by Feb. 2nd , register and you'll receive a $10 SheaMoisture coupon.  You'll have to upload your receipt for the purchase when you register.  Can't wait to read this book.  Lemeno if you do and what you think about it once you read it.
Just received the book.  A really good informative resource and reference.  Also great info. on Henna.  I'm going to try it this weekend.  I've read that henna not only colors, but conditions as well.  It helps with shine and breakage as well.  You can use it as often as you want.  Anyone use Henna?

Hmmm.  I might have to check this out!   NaturalReview Box – $20.00

NaturalReview Box is a subscription box service that focuses on quality eco-friendly beauty, grooming, and lifestyle products. For $20 (including shipping), subscribers receive 6-10 samples packaged in a box made from 100% recycled material. You can expect to receive products for face, body, hair, home, along with other eco-friendly items. This is an affordable way to test various products to see what you like.

$20.00 (shipping included)

Happy New Year Curly Gurlies!!

I'd like to share with you the news about a new Natural Hair subscription box service called Boombox.

Your Rhythm. Your Beauty. Your Beat. This subscription box is an exclusive offering from Nappturalite Radio, and offers you the hottest products for natural hair, natural beauty, and the natural lifestyle. BOOMBox puts you in touch with brands that care about you and your natural journey.

A monthly sub is $14.00 or if you just want to check it out and not commit (like me,) it's $19.99 including shipping.

There's a different theme everything month. This month's theme is Reinventing the Natural You.

" We've found that those who have embraced their natural hair, desired to go natural in other areas of their lives as well. Our box will allow you to explore the products and resources available to help you on their natural journey."

http://www.mynaturalbff.com/#!boombox/c1axdhttp://www.mynaturalbff.com/#!boombox/c1axd

Just what I need; another monthly sub; argggghhh!! So much for the New Year's resolution! 
satisfied.gif

Lemeno if you're subbing to Boombox or buying (1) box and please review it! Looking forward to hearing from you.

​

I just received my first Boombox (19.95),  and I was pleasantly surprised at the contents.    For the kick-off for the new box, the first 100 subscribers received a T-shirt that says, I love my curls, the phrase is listed within a red heart, www.nappturaliteradio.com

I received a deluxe sample bottle of Koils by Nature, ultra moisturizing cocoaloe deep conditioner (sounds good), a full-sized bottle of curls unleased Lavish & Lather sulfate-free shampoo (smells good), Bobeam Hibuscus shampoo bar (never tried shampoo bar before), a deluxe container of Naturel Lyfe CocoaShea butter (really nice, can never have enough shea butter), and Herbal Cleanse lavender liquid dry shampoo ( I use this on occassion, when I don't have time to wash my hair).

All in all, I'm pleased with the sub.  I subbed the next box, they claim it'll be jammed packed.  We'll see and then I'll probably cancel because I have enough products that I need to use. 

I was glad I checked them out; I like to support small businesses.  They also have a radio show; all about hair, which you can stream from their website for free if you sub.  Pretty interesting.

The monthly su is $14.99 or if you want (1) box, it's $19.99 including shipping.

If you decide to sub, let us know what you think.

Congratulations!  My hair is very much like yours.  I'll place a pic soon.  I'm trying to grow mine out so I can do twists and such.  I just did a henna.  Love it.  It's a bit too brash on my gray hair, so I'm toning the color down with indigo; need to brown it up a bit, especially my roots right up front.

Quene8106 shared a wonderful link of lisitngs of new and up-coming monthly hair & beauty subs, geared towards women of color.

I signed up already;  hmmm, hmm, hmm!  Bad idea!  Had to check them out??

www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/02/new-subscription-beauty-hair-boxes-on-the-block/

Don't forget to check out Boombox.  I purchased a box.  What I liked about the products I received was they were mostly natural and from small businesses.

I listed on a previous post what I received.  Will try the curls unleashed shampoo,  the bobeam shampoo bar & the Koils by Nature deep after I henna today.  I'll let you know what I think.  I said I wasn't going to buy another box from them, but I decided to check out the next box, that's supposed to be loaded with extra product. (I know, I'm greedy).
satisfied.gif

With all these new hair & beauty subs, I may have to cancel some of my other subs; it's gonna be a challenge.  My hair, my body and face is going to be fabulous, but I may be in the poor house soon if I don't get a grip!!

Stay tuned!

Pearls and Curls; A Virtual Naturally curly hair, health and beauty expo.

The event takes place March 8 - 10.

Registratiotion is $5.  3 days of LIVE engaging events, that will enable us to interact with some of our favorite online hair personalities.

Each attendee will receive a virtual gift bag containing promo codes from some of our favorite naturally curly hair companies.

This is a great opportunity to learn, discuss and celebrate naturally curly hair form the comforts of our home!  I like that.

Registration is Feb. 15 - 28th.

I'm going to chekc this out.  The price is right.  Hope to see you there!

H

Lucky! My scalp gets oily and smells bad! I have no choice but to shampoo every other day. I tried co washing and it gave me really bad build up. My ends started breaking off after a few days and I had to do a clarifying treatment. Do you have any suggestions for hair products?
Have you tried an apple cider vinegar rinse? There are many videos on YouTube and blogs showing mixes. It may help you.

Hi.....fellow curly girl here! I've been natural for about 5 years and my hair is grazing tail bone length....well was. My hair was exactly 19 inches long, but because of stress and generally not taking care of my self...now it's more of 17-18 inches long (waist length when stretched). I'm on a mission to get back my loss length as well as improce the overall quality of my hair. I heat "trained" it so it's in dire need of protein and yes...I did lose a lot of my curls :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. 

SO.....for growth I've purchased Hydrolyzed Keratin, MSM, Hair Nail & Skin Vitamins, Castor Oil. and will be using rosemary, nettle, and horsetail. 

I'm going to make my own leave in conditioner, and seal my ends with unpetroleum jelly or shortening/Crisco and probably bun the rest of the winter up until spring till I see some progress. 

I'm washing my hair with Dr. Bronners dilluted with soybean oil and water, conditioning with a homemade deep conditioner, and I'm using a mix of banana baby food, sour cream or yogurt, honey, and castor oil. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also I would DEF recomend you guys get some Hydrolyzed kertain.....its the active ingredient in MEGATEK for growth.

H Have you tried an apple cider vinegar rinse? There are many videos on YouTube and blogs showing mixes. It may help you.
Would this work better than just shampooing every other day? This has been working pretty well for me. It seems like a good amount of time to go in between shampoos. Am I wrong about this? I didn't really start learning about proper hair care until this year(I am still a teenager). My stepmother is Indian so She washes daily and growing up she taught us to do our hair every other day.

Washing 2 - 3 x a week if you need to , would be fine.  Condition really well.  I would shampoo once a week, co-wash second day and use a cleansing cream third day.

Would this work better than just shampooing every other day? This has been working pretty well for me. It seems like a good amount of time to go in between shampoos. Am I wrong about this? I didn't really start learning about proper hair care until this year(I am still a teenager). My stepmother is Indian so She washes daily and growing up she taught us to do our hair every other day.
Apple cider vinegar rinses are best used at least once a month. It helps to cleanse, get rid of build up instead of using a clarifying shampoo, and is suppose to control hairs natural oil production (sebum). To be safe, just do it once a month (acv) and co wash a few times a week. Acv washes are best for people who use hair grease, a lot of gel and products. It just seems that your issue is oily hair of which it's safer to just co wash several times a week. Do you deep condition and get hot/ warm oil treatments?

Apple cider vinegar rinses are best used at least once a month. It helps to cleanse, get rid of build up instead of using a clarifying shampoo, and is suppose to control hairs natural oil production (sebum). To be safe, just do it once a month (acv) and co wash a few times a week. Acv washes are best for people who use hair grease, a lot of gel and products. It just seems that your issue is oily hair of which it's safer to just co wash several times a week. Do you deep condition and get hot/ warm oil treatments?
What I do is shampoo my hair, rinse it with warm water and squeeze the excess moisture out. Then I take a big glop of any hair mask or deep conditioner and apply it to just the length of my hair about an inch or two from my scalp. I leave it for ten to fifteen minutes while I shower and then rinse it out with cool water. I always use a deep conditioner in place of a regular conditioner because I am lazy and wouldn't bother to deep condition my hair otherwise. That is pretty much all I do to my hair. What do you mean by cowashing? When I wash my hair I always use shampoo. I have tried just rinsing my scalp but that just makes my hair feel more gross. Is it bad for me to shampoo every other day? I don't use chemicals or heat in my hair ever if that matters. Also after I get out of the shower, I wrap my hair in a towel for twenty minutes. Then, I take it down and comb through a quarter size amount of leave in conditioner followed by a Moroccan argon oil on my ends. I always wear my hair in some type of bun.

I hope you're using Dr. Bronner's almond or baby shampoo.  All the others are too harsh I think, but you did say you dilute it.  co-washing is great also.  I don't know about sealing with vaseline or crisco, seems waayyy to heavy.  How about shea butter and definitely castor oil will help with growth.

Originally Posted by OhMyCurlz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi.....fellow curly girl here! I've been natural for about 5 years and my hair is grazing tail bone length....well was. My hair was exactly 19 inches long, but because of stress and generally not taking care of my self...now it's more of 17-18 inches long (waist length when stretched). I'm on a mission to get back my loss length as well as improce the overall quality of my hair. I heat "trained" it so it's in dire need of protein and yes...I did lose a lot of my curls :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. 

SO.....for growth I've purchased Hydrolyzed Keratin, MSM, Hair Nail & Skin Vitamins, Castor Oil. and will be using rosemary, nettle, and horsetail. 

I'm going to make my own leave in conditioner, and seal my ends with unpetroleum jelly or shortening/Crisco and probably bun the rest of the winter up until spring till I see some progress. 

I'm washing my hair with Dr. Bronners dilluted with soybean oil and water, conditioning with a homemade deep conditioner, and I'm using a mix of banana baby food, sour cream or yogurt, honey, and castor oil. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also I would DEF recomend you guys get some Hydrolyzed kertain.....its the active ingredient in MEGATEK for growth.

Originally Posted by BajanPrincess /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I do is shampoo my hair, rinse it with warm water and squeeze the excess moisture out. Then I take a big glop of any hair mask or deep conditioner and apply it to just the length of my hair about an inch or two from my scalp. I leave it for ten to fifteen minutes while I shower and then rinse it out with cool water. I always use a deep conditioner in place of a regular conditioner because I am lazy and wouldn't bother to deep condition my hair otherwise. That is pretty much all I do to my hair. What do you mean by cowashing? When I wash my hair I always use shampoo. I have tried just rinsing my scalp but that just makes my hair feel more gross. Is it bad for me to shampoo every other day?
Co-washing is washing your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo, usually a cheap conditioner.  I know if I wash my hair with shampoo more than once a week, I find that too drying.   So you're rinsing your hair with water and using conditioner to cleanse and moisturize.  My hair loves it.  I've read there are some cleansing agents in conditioner.

Back