Am I the only one not "subscribed"?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by MissJessicaMary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  For a while I wasn't subscribed either. But I was just getting into make-up and I still don't wear a ton of makeup or a ton of the same makeup (so I don't have a go to lipstick or eyeshadow combo, etc), so sampling things is just fine for me and it keeps me from impulse buying things when I do go to Ulta or whatever. Actually, I almost never buy stuff in Ulta any more and I've dropped the discount sites like Hautelook as well. The only thing I go in Ulta to buy is NYX, or to spend giftcards a couple times a year. I never even bother with going to Sephora any more. I spend the rest of my makeup/beauty budget on indie companies.

However, I only have one Ipsy bag and one Birchbox, both of which are $10 a month. I pay for the BB and my husband got me the Ipsy sub as a Christmas gift. I cannot imagine paying more than $10 for a sub personally. I think it would probably be fun to get all those boxes every month, but it's just not a financial option right now and, like you said, I would rather spend any more than $10 on sure things that I've carefully researched and know I should like. The samples I have gotten in Ipsy are always enough for more than one use, and often are full sizes, otherwise they are deluxe samples. Birchbox is a little different and I would drop that first if I needed to drop one. This month I am super happy with what I am supposed to get, but last month was a bit of a let down. Still worth the $10, but not as good as past boxes for me.

At some point, probably in the next year, I will likely drop both of them because I will need to work through my stash. Right now my stash is still small enough that I'm getting use out of most things. When it gets to the point that I don't use the things I get in my subs and I just stash them away, I will let them go.

So I guess I am sort of inbetween. Also, what lipstick are you wearing in your picture? I love that color!
I have an entire drawer devoted to my sample stash so I feel like any subscription samples would just go there to become lost haha.

The lip color I'm wearing is the Wet N Wild matte lipstick in Sugar Plum Fairy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm not subscribed either. Never peaked my interest. I have products I am happy with so I don't feel the need to try anything new.

I did not subscribe to anything until I got Birchbox as a birthday gift couple of months ago. From my limited experience I concluded that people who like to try out new products and experiment are usually the ones who enjoy their subscriptions most. On the other hand people who have strong preferences about what products they would like to try/use usually walk away disappointed. I'm not sure if I will continue with my subscription when the gift period ends, but for now I definitely look forward to pretty boxes that arrive in the mail.

Quote: Originally Posted by turntrekgodhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm not subscribed to anything, only because I don't have a paypal (or a job). I would love to be subscribed to LipFactory!

Yes!  That is probably the first subscription I would sign up for if I could.

I've never subscribed because I feel the same way as OP, that I'd rather use the money for a full size product.

When I get free samples from places like Sephora it's so rare that I actually want to buy one of the products & I feel like the subscription boxes will be the same. Just full of stuff I don't really want, won't use & have to find a place for or get rid of.

However, I do subscribe to a few of them for my sister as a birthday gift every year because she gets so much joy from trying new things and being in the know.

Let's be real, beauty subscription boxes are all the rage lately. Ipsy, Birchbox, Starlooks, Glossybox...the list goes on and on. But am I the only one that isn't subscribed to anything? I've never been subscribed to any one of these companies. I'm a subscription box virgin, for lack of better words. I love the idea of getting to try out new products all the time without having to commit to a full size or pay sometimes overpriced sample prices. The thing I don't necessarily go along with is the price of these boxes. $10/month for one subscription is reasonable, but some people are subscribed to multiple boxes that are more than $10/month. It makes more sense to me to take the money you're spending each month on products you may or may not like and spend it on something nicer/bigger/you know you like. I don't think I'm trying to ask if subscription services are worth it but more so if anyone else out there isn't on the beauty box bandwagon. Not that it's a bad thing...I guess I would just rather spend my money on things I know I'll like..or at least on things I can return if I'm not happy with. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
I only subscribed because I thought I had to. Whoops if I didn't. So, you are not the only one girl.

I can totally see why people would, it's fun to have subscription boxes, but I'm not subscribed to any makeup services. I have so many products and samples from working as a makeup artist and from ordering online that I can barely get through those, I can't imagine having boxes of stuff piling up for me haha. I did order a Memebox (korean sample box, I have a weakness for asian products) because it's not month to month subscription and the one I ordered has no skincare (god help me if I get more skincare samples). So I can just order one and be done. 

However I do have a snack box subscription, and I eagerly await it's arrival every two weeks haha.

I just wanted to say I'm not subscribed either. I've tried Ipsy twice- when it was just starting as 'My Glam' and then earlier this year. I just couldn't get that excited about it, and didn't find a use for more than 2 items in the box, so I unsubscribed.

I like the idea of sub boxes in theory, but put to practice, I'm not a fan.

I guess I'd rather save up my money for things I know I really, really want!

Just wanted to update that I am still a subscription "virgin" if you will. At this point I feel like it's too big of a burden to try and find a box or service that I like. There are sooo many now!
I have been really interested in GDE's OTM thing but it seems to go very quick. I think I would rather save the money I would spend on trying a few different boxes and just buy makeup I know I want. I usually end up getting samples with purchases anyway....And lord knows I really, really don't need anymore samples. Any of you ladies that said you weren't subscribed jumped on the sub wagon?  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been through all the phases with sub boxes!

When I first signed up for Birchbox, in 2011, I didn't have much in the way of makeup or beauty products - just basic drugstore brand products (and the most affordable ones, at that). Birchbox kind of opened up a whole new world to me, and has introduced me to so much, that I find it is infinitely worth it. From there I fell into the addiction...for a while, I was subbed to SO MANY THINGS. Then, my stash started getting too big. That's another reason I liked them for a while- building a collection! Ipsy and Boxycharm are good for that, if you want to build up a varied collection and don't mind a mix of brand types.

Then, the burnout set in. Now, I'm down to just two Birchbox subs, and I'm looking to get into a couple of the indie ones.

The thing about the "you could just take that money and buy something you know you'll like" argument is, for someone like me, I DON'T know that I'll like those things. I don't know how many times I've bought a full size of something and ended up hating it...and at the same time, I'm always getting things and assuming I won't like them...then loving them. ANd I have my tried and true favorites, but I am a person who gets bored easily and I don't like to use the same thing all the time.

And I guess I'd rather get a few samples from BB that I end up not being crazy about than shelling out the money for a full size of something and disliking it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to update that I am still a subscription "virgin" if you will. At this point I feel like it's too big of a burden to try and find a box or service that I like. There are sooo many now!

I have been really interested in GDE's OTM thing but it seems to go very quick. I think I would rather save the money I would spend on trying a few different boxes and just buy makeup I know I want. I usually end up getting samples with purchases anyway....And lord knows I really, really don't need anymore samples. Any of you ladies that said you weren't subscribed jumped on the sub wagon?  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Oh, GDE's OTM would be a great first sub, but yes, it can be so hard to get your hands on! I had it for months...but with my job now, I haven't been able to get ahold of a sub again. So sad. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But highly recommended, if you do want to try something!

I'm not subscribed to anything, I spend enough money as it is on things I really want and on brands I know well, I don't want to take any chances really. 

I think it's fun. It's like a monthly surprise gift to yourself.... BUT it is a gamble that you will either hate or love. I've tried a couple and called it quits shortly after. I have a small collection and I really don't need tons of small things. It is nice if you just want to experiment and have some extra money.

Warning: It is an addiction. This is why some people have a LOT of subs.

I live in a very small town, no ability to try high-end brands without making a special trip. That's why I have subscriptions, I get to try brands and products I've never heard of, it allows me to test before I make an online purchase.

Another update: I am officially on the waiting list for Ipsy as of about a week ago. I don't know how long it'll be before I actually get my first bag but I gotta say, I'm super excited!

Well, I love finding new products to add to my routine.  Especially high end products.  Nothing bothers me more than buying an expensive product and hating it.  And there is also the added perk of sometimes getting a full sized extra extra high end product.  Sometimes it is a thrill to get even a deluxe sample of something super expensive.  A lot of those products do work miracles and I will take what ever I can get.  

I have purchased more items from my Blush box than any other.  And I am also starting to get addicted to high end hair products after subbing to this.  I never even cared about hair stuff before.  For $26 a month you get at least $100 worth of mid to high end products.

And right now I am very pleased with a $139 serum from discover Marta.  A sub that I hated until the last shipment.  Even like the peptide eye cream also.  The addition of those 2 products made a visible difference in  my face.

Glossybox already has spoiled 2 very nice full sized products for December.  One has a value of $32 and the other $19.  So for $14 I am already up to $51 and have 3 products to go.

Sample society this month has an RGB polish, a Crabtree and Evelyn hand cream, Estee lauder night eye cream (tried it recently and like it), butter london lippy, and Burberry base.  Who could not love this box for $15?

What I am getting at is that there can be a lot of value in these boxes.   

I'm currently only subscribed to ipsy and I love having it.  I like discovering new products I would have never looked into otherwise.  Birchbox was my first subscription service and I love it for awhile.  After some time, all I started to received were perfume samples and foil packs - I thought it was becoming a complete waste of money.  I supposed they've made up for it now with their points system.  I was also subscribed to Starlooks for a short amount of time.  Although I do think their products are of good quality, I just didn't find myself using them as much, so I couldn't justify the $17/month with that said.

Back