Anti-ageing for oily skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I searched the Skin Care forum for this but I could't find anything. I have an oily skin (all over not just the T zone) but I am 34. Shouldn't I get started with anti-ageing products? But the problem is that most of the anti-ageing creams are very oily for my skin.

Is there an anti-ageing mosturiser for oily skin? I don't have any wrinckles now but I'd rather prevent than cure! Any suggestions???

PS: My neck is not oily and if I am anything like my mother, it will be the first part of my face to show signs of ageing (eventually!). Should I use another type of moisturiser for the neck area?

For the neck area (i actually go down to the decollete), use the same moisturizer than for your face.

I don't know of a good anti ageing moisturizer for oily skin, mine is combo and what i do is use a neutral moisturizer (i also have a sensitive skin so i treat that part first) and then i use a sunscreen for oily skin (i switch between brands but my all time favorite remains La Roche Posay, the range called "fluide extreme").

Consider starting on Retin A, or similar. The active ingredient is Tretinoin.

It requires a prescription in Canada and the US - maybe your country?

You could always talk to a pharmacist and ask them if it requires a prescription.

I am 45, with naturally oily skin and it does not cause my skin to become any oilier.

There is lots of information on the Internet about Tretinoin, or your pharmacist might have some as well. One thing I will tell you is that it is the only ingredient proven to delay or even remove wrinkles.

Mary Kay has Anti Aging products for oily skin. I use the one for normal to dry and I've been using this product for 5yrs.

I have oily skin and the Roc creams and Revitalift by L'Oreal, both with retinol have been great for my skin.

Thank you all for your answers!

@Dragonfly: I asked in a couple of drugstores about Retin A but they only had creams with retinol, not an actual cream by that name. Maybe we don't have it here, I don't know....

@Sirene: I'll try to find some samples to try them out.

Another bad thing is that it's very hard to get samples in my country. I don't know if the companies don't n provide their counters with samples or the employees just keep them for themselves, but there aren't many samples available.

Also, for the return policy....there's no such thing! After you open/use a product then you're stuck with it!!!! Bummer....

"@Dragonfly: I asked in a couple of drugstores about Retin A but they only had creams with retinol, not an actual cream by that name. Maybe we don't have it here, I don't know"

Maybe you need to see your family doctor - she/he will know what is available to prescribe to you. Maybe it is not called Tretinoin in Greece. Let them know it is called Retin A in the US and Stieva Vitamin A acid gel/cream in Canada. The active ingredient is Tretinoin, starting with 0.01% and increases up to 0.1%.

Start at .01% or .02%, nothing higher. And use sunscreen!

Avocado helps to give you a fresh and young look because of its oily nature. Simply apply either the pulp or slices of avocado on your face and you skin will get that rejuvenated look. This is another useful home remedy for anti aging.

Try this tip. It helped one of my friends.
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by pasiphae /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thank you all for your answers!
@Dragonfly: I asked in a couple of drugstores about Retin A but they only had creams with retinol, not an actual cream by that name. Maybe we don't have it here, I don't know....

@Sirene: I'll try to find some samples to try them out.

Another bad thing is that it's very hard to get samples in my country. I don't know if the companies don't n provide their counters with samples or the employees just keep them for themselves, but there aren't many samples available.

Also, for the return policy....there's no such thing! After you open/use a product then you're stuck with it!!!! Bummer....

Here in Austria it´s the same with the no-returns policy. If I really didn´t like a product I´ll just say it caused my face to itch real bad, sometimes that helps and they´ll give me my money back. And it´s also hard to get samples here, the salespeople hate to give out samples for some reason.
You need to go to a pharmacy to get Retin-A, and you need a prescription from a dermatologist. Here in Austria it´s also called Retin-A, and available in 0.025%, 0.05% and 0.1%. I use it myself, and have been very happy with it. I`m glad I don´t have to give into the anti-aging hype and spend a lot of $ on overpriced moisturizers at Sephora & Co

It's the same here, prescription for Retin A, no return policy, and the reluctance to give samples, at Sephora they came up with this stupid policy of two samples per person. But i don't know, i think it's because sometimes they don't have so much of them and they ran out quickly.

I definitely have to find a way to get that Retin-A. I will pay a visit to my dermatologist and see if he can prescribe it.

As for samples, I managed to get 3 mini samples from Estee Lauder: Idealist pore minimizer, Advanced Night Repair and Revelation Age-Resisting brightening creme. So I tried them and I don't know which one did the job or if it were the combination of the three, but my skin was glowing! The cream was definitely very heavy and oily for me, but maybe with the right moisturizer it will be the perfect skin regime for me.

But is it ok to put a serum on at night and not follow with a night cream? I can't stand night creams!!!

No, it's totally okay. If you feel the serum provides enough moisture, don't add a nightcream. Technically serums are supposed to be more concentrated in active ingredients so i think it's best to apply serum than nightcream if you have to choose between the two.

Thanks magosienne! Usually you don't get this kind of answers at the counters because they are always trying to sell, no matter what the customer actually needs.

Yes, they do ! But i like to have useful stuff in my already overcrowded bathroom, argument they fail to understand lol.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes, they do ! But i like to have useful stuff in my already overcrowded bathroom, argument they fail to understand lol. Exactement!!!
wink.gif

Silk naturals has an AHA toner. Seemed decent but I haven't bought anything from them.

Also, you need to be careful with the sun when using AHA too. In fact, the best anti-aging product is said to be sunscreens. Physical sunscreens most brands(zinc oxide, etc.) have might break you out or feel oilier. La Roche Posay use chemical sunscreen substances. I'm planning to buy one from them soon.

There arent many foundations that fight wrinkles and help oily skin so a good way to do things is to apply a tiny amount of olay anti-aging lotion then wait a min. then apply a product that helps your oily skin. (I cant help exact skin types)Then apply a spray on foundation with a face sponge and it will give you an airbrushed look but will still fight the aging.

Ooh, this is my problem, too. My skin is very oily and acne prone, but I'm concerned about wrinkles as well. I've tried a lot of moisturizers (from Olay, L'oreal), but they just broke me out.

I'm currently using a very mild tretinoin, but I guess I should ask my dermatologist about something for the fine lines that I'm now seeing on my eye area.

Oily skin needs special cleansing with plenty of warm water and soap to prevent the pores from being clogged. Choose your cleanser with care and avoid heavy cleansing creams. Avoid the use of harsh soaps or cleansers. Use a pure soap with no artificial additives. Try an antibacterial cleansing lotion or a lightly medicated soap, and use it in combination with water rich in minerals, not tap water.

Couple of quick questions:

-Does Retin A help with anti aging? How much does it help with oily skin as well? My skin is typically really oily, and someone told me that Retin A does reduce the oil levels in the skin.

-Second- Does the clarisonic help with oily skin at all? I've been using one for almost a year now, and my skin is still super oily

Back