Anyone ever have this problem with Bffs?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so heres my rant. Pretty interesting. I've always had this problem with my closest girlfriends. But this latest one is overboard and getting on my damn nerves.

Has anyone ever had a friend copy almost everything they do. I'm talking Style, makeup, hair ect.

My best friend has been getting on my nerves a lot lately. it's now to a point where I'm really fed up and sick of it and almost need a break from her. The problem is that she copies almost everything I do or like/buy. I took it as a compliment at first and it didnt bother me at all until recently. I'm talking literally EVERYTHING she knows I have or want she has to get. For example we'd go shopping at pick out clothes together. I first started noticing it getting bad when I would buy something when I was with her and a week later she'd meet up with me and have the same shirt or jacket on I had bought when I was with her. Almost as if she ran out the next day and bought the exact same clothes for herself. Then all the sudden she was into makeup and buying MAC makeup when just last year she was like "MAC's makeup is way too expensive its ridiculous to spend $10 on brush cleaner!" Now when we go out and I see her she has her makeup done like mine. I'm not trying to sound like a stuck up B or anything but I've always worn heavy dark eye makeup and no one around us wears their makeup like that its always kinda been a signature look for me. Now all the sudden she'll come out with dark eyes and my favorite lipstick on! Anytime I mention a color or a lipstick or a product she runs right out and buys it.

I noticed it getting really bad about 4 months ago I was in Sephora and I was talking about this perfume that I loved forever and was telling her that I was going to buy it and we were smelling it. Well she smelled the perfume and was like "Ew i dont like that" Well I said I was going to buy it the following week.... well not even a week later my friend calls me and says hey im at work could u do me a favor? I said sure she says go on my ebay and check and see if I won this perfume. So I check and ITS THE PERFUME I WANTED!!!! I was like What the hell she told me she hated it! Now shes bidding for it on ebay? she did the same thing with a few other fragrances within the last few months and now whenever im around her shes wearing my body sprays or perfumes. She even goes and buys things for her apartment that are the same things that I have in mine. Lamps, Bed sheets, furniture, Room sprays, candles ect.

Just last week she did the same thing with a pair of shoes I bought. I picked them out in the store and bought them and a week later she had went out and bought the same shoes. Shes also on ebay trying to buy MAC brushes and purses I like almost like a competition and when she gets it she sorta has a way of rubbing it in my face. She also knows my love for doing makeup and wanting to do makeup and she has applied to sephora and is advertising herself as a makeup artist. I've never been the type to be jealous but I just get sick and tired of crap! a few other things that bug me is that I have Long hair I saw her today and she now has hair extensions. I have fake boobs. Now everyday shes talking about how shes getting her boobs done. I feel like its way out of control because we'll be out bra shopping and she'll over and over again ask me what size bra i'm in and then when i tell her i'm a 34D she'll either day "D!! you dont look it" or find a way to let me know that my boobs dont look big and she is getting bigger ones. I often leave it go and don't confront her when she makes remarks like that but I feel like hey you are supposed to be my friend! not my competition!

The reason I am bringing this up on here is because today shopping at walkgreens I was looking at differnt things in the store but not buying anything and everything i picked up or looked at she ran up next to me and basically grabbed it to buy.

I have been keeping my distance from her lately and not hanging out as much becuse of how bad its gotten. Has anyone else experienced this? How do u handle it?

I've been trying to just take it as a compliment that she copies me because I must have great style or taste or something but it really annoys me.

Maybe she just admires you that much? Try suggesting different things for her. Like when you go to the store and see something that might look good on her, suggest it. Maybe with your help she can learn to develop her own style so she doesn't copy you all the time.

It sounds like scenes from Single White Female! Holy crap! I'd get so irritated. It's like, why can't you just be original? If there's something she likes about your stuff, she could use it as inspiration and make it out to be her own. But to have everything copied to a tee? Damn. I really don't have any advice except don't smack her...LOL.

I'd tell her straight to her face. A friend of mine does that same thing to her best friend, and they actually made a youtube video about it making fun of each other about it. I thought it was funny but she tells her straight to her face that she always has to copy wtf she's wearing.

But I know its because she doesn't really have much creativity. I've dyed my whole head red one time and a week later when I went over her house she was dying her whole head red too. and I was like wtf? Didn't think much of it. Now I've had my hair crazy pink for the last few months, and shes been asking me to do the same thing with her hair. And that turned on my signal. I didn't offer to do it cause I knew what she was thinking.

Her and her best friend kinda have this lil unsaid competition about piercing and tattoos like who can get the most bad ass tattoo or piercing first. Its kinda sad I used to work with both of them too.

I just find it lack of creativity.

But there is nothing else to do but made your voice heard. So what if she gets mad? She deserves to hear it and you deserve to know why and if shes doing it on purpose. At least if she gets mad and doesn't talk to you, then you won't have to worry about her copying from you anymore! lol

I just feel awful to say something to her. Normally I would just confront a friend with a problem not go behind their back and talk but in this case I feel embarassed for her you know? I know she will be very offended if i said anything. I talked to my mom about it and my mom said if it is bothering me that much try to take a step back instead of spending all my time with her start seeing her less.... i think thats what i need to do but honestly I just am really annoyed

I can't imagine how annoying that must be! I had a friend a long time ago that copied little things here and there and that drove me crazy. It sounds like this girl is really insecure and really wants your approval. Definitely bring it to her attention because it may only get worse. Like with the perfume, I'd be like "you said that perfume smelled bad. why are you getting it?" And the fact that she asked you to look on ebay for her seems like she wants to flaunt it in your face that she's going to have something that you want. It sounds like in some weird way she wants you to be jealous of her.

Imitation is the best form of flattery
smile.gif

But nah me and my bestest are opposites, we are very weird, our vocabulary is the same (because we made our own vocabulary), but at the end of the day, we are still our authentic selves

Maybe you should help her find things that she would like that you wouldnt .

She probably either doesn't realize that what she's doing is annoying you, or she's really that malicious. If it's the latter, then you really do need a break, but likely it's the first of the two possibilities. I don't see it as a huge issue because I don't notice these things about people much, plus I have probably the most patience of anyone that hasn't reached equilibrium (aka death, get it? XD).

Anyways, most of the people I have become acquainted with just live their lives like spoiled little children trying to make their lives into soap operas. My personality and life is just a separate world from what they know and for the most part, they don't understand or try to in the first place. But if someone I could call a close friend were to copy everything I did, I probably wouldn't mind. I would just let them know that it's ok to like things that I don't and that he/she shouldn't be afraid of being "strange." His/her own approval is the only approval they really need, after all.

Back