Anyone try a crafty subscription box?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't seem to find much info on adult DIY/craft boxes.  I've found Brit Kit, For the Makers, and Whimsey.
Has anyone tried one?  I'm wondering if they are fun or just junk. 

I tried for the makers for a couple of months and then canceled. I felt I wasn't good enough at the crafts to make them look really nice. I did like a string bracelet I made from the September box. I had also just had a baby so being able to make stuff wasn't in the cards for me. I did think they used high-quality materials in general. Another reason I wanted to use them was so that I could learn to make new crafts to give as gifts. I didn't get any crafts that I really wanted to make and give out, either. But you might have a totally different experience with them. With it being winter, it might be a great time for someone crafty to subscribe to this. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do both Whimsey and Brit + Co. I hate to say it, but they've both kinda gone downhill and are kinda hit or miss.

Whimsey started off REALLY strong. Their first box (my FAVE) was Spoonflower fabric and screenprinting supplies. From there, it kinda slipped to hardware store jewelry (meaning, you actually got a tiny bit of ball chain, some hex nuts and some floss), weird foam shapes, and the occasional bit of (craft quality, not actual embroidery quality) embroidery floss. Then, they caused a huge stir with boxes shipping so late, you got (for example) Feb's box in March. Then, they said they were increasing the charge from $15 to $25 ~ and then backed down ever-so quickly. It's gotten a bit better, but still doesn't seem to be living quite up to their potential, IMO.

Brit + Co started off kewl, too, with a smartphone/tablet friendly gloves project. The box contained conductive fiber thread and gloves ~ you sewed teeny tiny "dots" on the tips of the glove's fingers. Those little "dots" enable you to swipe (use) your smartphone touch screen without taking off your gloves. Another box was LED lit-up balloons. Most recently, it was just several bags of glitter, a blank mousepad and some blank tags. Last one was cardstock and (cheap) embroidery floss to make V-Day cards with.

My advice? Stalk Pick Your Plum ~ you'll find AMAZING stuff posted there every weekday morning at 7am (Central). Tomorrow (Saturday ~ I'm being modded right now, so I don't know when this will post), they're having a HUGE event ~ tons of cool stuff posted at once ~ usually at 60% off. The BIG event is every once in a while, they have grab boxes for $30. In my last one, I got like 8 cast iron handles, a cast iron doorknocker, some embossed metal, tons of scrapbooking supplies, and so much more! Hubs and I figured out the retail value, and it was about $100, easy.

Can you tell I love PYP?!

Anyway, I've been thinking about cancelling both of them ~ I'm just freakin' lazy and it's a PITA to cancel (from what I've been told and what's been complained about). I keep holding out hope that the next box will be better .... :/

I can't seem to find much info on adult DIY/craft boxes.  I've found Brit Kit, For the Makers, and Whimsey. Has anyone tried one?  I'm wondering if they are fun or just junk. 
I've tried Whiseybox, which I liked. There's also Lullubee.com If you're really into crafts you should check it out.

I just tried Lullubee this month, and I thought it was great. They sent everything needed (except scissors) and I really did enjoy the crafting. They give you step by step instructions with photos, which is really helpful. My project involved felting, something I've never done before, but I was able to come up with a pretty decent result in my opinion so I'd say crafters of nearly any level can do this successfully thanks to clear instructions.

My craft was a bit derailed by my dog trying to steal the partially completed project but luckily I was able to salvage it! (not even kidding, I took a photo when I caught her with it and posted it on my blog review of Lullubee to shame her LOL)

Latest posts

Back