April 2014 No/Low-Buy Support, Advice, Free Hugs, and Commiseration

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had forgotten that the next FCS Box goes out in April. There was a problem with my card when I first subscribed, so I get charged on the 25th every 3rd month. So that's $19.99 I'll definitely be spending because the Candy Isle theme is right up my alley. And I have to find a matte mineral sunscreen for my face. There probably goes another $20. I'm not sure a low-buy is going to work for me for April.

My rules for this month: - Keep ipsy. This is currently my only makeup sub. After recieving this bag I'm going to decide if I want to keep subscribing. I like it, but I don't LOVE it. - Stop buying clothes! But forreal I need to go through everything I own and determine what I still want/need/actually wear and what I can maybe sell to Plato's closet or give away to charity. Same goes for shoes. - Chic week: -sigh-, I may just have to buy my NARS TM and hold off on the other things I was planning on buying because.... I'm buying my grandmother's old car from her. She's probably going to give me a great price, but it's still a lot of money that I don't NEED to be spending. But the opportunity arose and my car is kind of unsightly to look at, and I figured out that I can actually get car insurance cheaper on my own policy rather than on my parents'. Overall I had a pretty successful month of March with buying very little makeup, but I more than made up for it with clothing purchases. I also need to work on bringing my lunch to work

Spring Cleaning Time!!

Mini de-stash this month. Also planning on a whole house purge - wish me luck :)

I'm working my way through my shampoo samples but I don't have enough to last the month. 

Only purchases I'm planning this month are my 1.5 subs, shampoo, hair treatment, hair spray (nearly out and no back ups), lip brush (current one is getting wonky), and possibly the Allure box if it has enough items my daughters and I will use. 

Any suggestions on a good hair mask or treatment? I did some googling but there are so many options . . . I don't have a preference between store bought or DIY but I prefer to not do anything overnight. My hair is dry and color treated and I use heat styling products a few times a week. 

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Spring Cleaning Time!!

Mini de-stash this month. Also planning on a whole house purge - wish me luck :)

I'm working my way through my shampoo samples but I don't have enough to last the month. 

Only purchases I'm planning this month are my 1.5 subs, shampoo, hair treatment, hair spray (nearly out and no back ups), lip brush (current one is getting wonky), and possibly the Allure box if it has enough items my daughters and I will use. 

Any suggestions on a good hair mask or treatment? I did some googling but there are so many options . . . I don't have a preference between store bought or DIY but I prefer to not do anything overnight. My hair is dry and color treated and I use heat styling products a few times a week. 
I use TIGI Bed Head 'DumbBlonde'. It's a 5-10 minute conditioner for color-treated hair. It specifically says on the bottle that it's called 'Dumb Blonde' but it's for ALL colors of color treated hair. It's a bit pricey, 20+$, but I found 5 tubes for 1$ each on clearance at Wal-Mart.

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Spring Cleaning Time!!

Chic week is what's killing me. I have 2 'oops' purchases for the month, but I just don't know if I NEED anything. I mean, I want a lot, but NEED... IDK ;/

Ok everyone, this is going to be a super duper long post, but I wanted to respond to everyone!!! I love my 'low buy' family, who understands and is smart with their money! You guys rock and you are inspirational!!!
7dh.gif

We all have to do a little of this:
daz.gif

Here goes!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

April:

New Years resolutions continue to apply (it's getting hard!). They were: 1) aim to go more natural, and 2) only buy replacements for the whole year! It is taking forever to use stuff up and I don't want to hoard or have items get rotten so this is the year of downsizing. Plus, this year my goal is to focus my spending on the house and only things I need, with a couple pre-determined exceptions.

This month I will definitely need to buy primer, and possibly a hairbrush, hair conditioner, body lotion, and night cream. I'll see when those things kick the bucket. If a certain collection shows up I can snag that too, but will wait until May if possible.
Wow, your goals are amazing. 
yess.gif
I hope you find it not too much of a challenge, and that it strengthens your 'willpower muscles' so much! I like the idea of going natural too. I haven't gotten quite there yet, but I'm trying to be cruelty-free this year, and it's going really well. I'll tell you guys a secret- going cruelty-free only, and probably the same goes for going natural, it really limits what you can buy. In a way, that's a really good thing, because if you really believe in what you're doing, you won't even want to buy the stuff you're limited from, but it puts a limit on what you buy, so it's a good thing to do when you're doing a low-buy anyway. It keeps you from wanting too much stuff!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ack!  It's almost That Time again!  I actually liked not buying as much stuff as usual in March, so I'm going to give that another shot for April.  My plan:

• Glamour Doll Eyes -- one small order of sample jars (maybe four, maybe eight.  I need to sit down and map out a plan for the rest of the year!) at the beginning of the month.  I don't think there is anything else new on the horizon for April, so that will probably be it, although if there *is* another as-yet-unannounced collection, that will be allowed.
  • One Geek Chic Cosmetics -- one order, contents to be determined.  I had been planning an order for March (samples of the Superneutrals collection), but they did a sneak preview of one of their upcoming collections, and it's a doozy for me:  To start with, there's a four-piece Fire Walk With Me nail polish set.  *thud*  I have no clue what else they're unleashing upon my wallet, but I'm just going to assume I will be ordering it all. 
  • essence cosmetics -- Eh, not sure what they have coming out, but I haven't seen anything on the international upcoming collections lists that is particularly memorable.  The trend edition page on the US site only lists two collections that are already out in my area, not anything upcoming, so I'll just set a $20 limit just in case something amazing does show up here.
  • Shampoo/conditioner -- I've been saying this for, what, four months?  If I run out, I can get more.  I do have some samples that I am kind of working my way through, but I tried one of them and *hate* it, so I think I'll save that one for OH SO VERY DESPERATE times instead of making sure I use it all up before I can get something-new.
  • Sephora -- Despite the 15% discount, I probably will *not* buy anything.  Except maybe some Carol's Daughter Monoi Oil shampoo and conditioner.  That stuff is a huge splurge, but I loved the sample I tried.  If they have an amazing GWP or point perk, I can place an order to get it, but I have a feeling that's just not going to happen.  I'm just getting jaded and annoyed with the whole Rouge program, and it's making me just not want to bother buying *anything* there.  Note to Sephora:  Don't promise exciting and thrilling perks if you're not going to bother to come up with any! 
  • Subs -- Birchbox, GDE, LMdB, and Starbox are prepaid (Birchbox is set through February, GDE runs through December, LMdB ends in July or August, and my first Starbox on the annual plan will be the April box).  I can keep Square Hue and Dollar Shave Club.  Julep and Scratch...  Don't know.  I have a feeling I'll probably skip both.  I have enough points with Julep to get a free box (or two), but they haven't really put out much stuff lately that I desperately want.  And I haven't been very impressed with Scratch's collections the past couple of months.  I want to love them, but I am not big on transparent nail wraps, and the colors for the newest collection are very much Not Me.  I'll just have to wait and see what the next round brings.  (And I keep forgetting I'm subscribed to LMdB!  The March box arrived on the day I had oral surgery, and it's *still* in the box.  I should just toss it up on eBay one of these days.)
  • Fortune Cookie Soap -- I just got a jar of sugar scrub, but if I run out by the end of the month, then I will order two or three more in Garden of Good and Evil scents with one of my discount codes.  I love this stuff for shaving my legs, and it's that time of the year!  Two or three jars would get me through until the summer stuff comes out, and then I will order jars of those scents since I'm super seasonal on this sort of thing for some reason.

There's no way I'll run out of shower gel, so that's still on the banned list.  And...  I think everything else is on the banned list as well.  Unless Birchbox comes out with a stunning LE box, I don't think I'll even get stuff from there with my gift cards ($80, all flipped from points).  I want theBalm's Apples cheek/lip palette, but I have so much cream blush already that I can't justify it.  I have to put a dent in what I already have before I can get something new. 

I wanted to get a drugstore brow powder to keep in my bag for days I forget to do them at home because I've realized I really prefer my brows to be just a shade darker than they are, but all I really want is the *powder*, not the powder and wax or a gel/pencil product, and all of the dark brown powder shadows I've been able to find are shimmery rather than matte, so my mere pickiness there is helping me to not buy it.  I guess I'll just deal with having not-as-dark-as-I-would-like brows on the days I forget to do them at home.  I'm lucky because my brows don't *need* anything.  Even when I had them waxed a few weeks ago, I could barely tell anything had been done unless I looked *really* closely, so I won't bother with that expense any more.

And my comic con is this weekend, which means it will be over by the first of the month, and *that* means I now have to start focusing on planning/saving up for the next one in September.  Fortunately, that one is local, and I already bought my pass, so I just have to save up for food and dealer room stuff.  I don't even have to pay for parking if I need to shave that cost because I'm a bus commuter, so I can take public transit to the con if it comes down to it.

Finally, it will be time to get back on the routine of shopping one weekend a month and staying home getting my apartment in order the other three weekends.  Surgery and ECCC really threw a wrench in those works!  (And now, time to go clear out my car's hatchback so I can fit my suitcase in it!  I love my car, but the hatch is much smaller than I'm used to, and I'm not sure my suitcase *and* all of the goodies I plan on buying this weekend will fit in there unless I take *everything* out of it.  Well, it will be time as soon as Ed stops snuggling and nuzzling.  How can I possibly dump a cuddly kitty on the floor?  Answer:  I can't!)

(ETA:  The actual answer turned out to be "Pretty damned easy when he decides it's time to BITE MY EAR.")
Hahaha, oh cats! I feel you on that. My cat is a biter. Big time. My hands show for it. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok, I'm freaking impressed that you're going to bypass Chic week. Good on you, lady!!!!!
claps.gif

Also, I LOVE TWIN PEAKS OH MY FREAKING GOD OH MY GOD !!!! That was the best show, and so scary! I love Agent Cooper so much!
worship.gif

I love the idea of Geek Chic Cosmetics, but I'm no good at powdered loose pigments, so I will have to pass, but I love that they celebrate so many great shows/movies. The Walking Dead, Sherlock, Twin Peaks, Harry Potter. 
wizard.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok plan for the month!!

1. I can buy a bottle of face wash and it won't count against no buy since I'll run out this month.
2. I can buy conditioner if I run out. Edit: running out includes all samples gone.
3. One $25 sephora or ulta order for whatever. Preferably during chic week so I get the discount, with the following stipulations: no eyeshadow, no blush.

That's it! Everything else is off limits. We don't have a payment on our new car until 5/11 but I'm making us "pay it" this month so I have a better idea of how it feels to pay it monthly. Good luck everyone!!!
Good idea about putting aside money to 'pay it' this month. I hope it isn't too much of a shock. Do you know how long you'll have to make payments? Good plan! You are going to do well this month.
flowers.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Alright here we go!

-no eyeliners, blush, mascara, or lippies
-swaps ok
-birch box : I have 2 now for some awful reason. I gotta cancel. No point in getting more crap to clutter up my apartment just because it's "free with points"
-foundation/tinted moisturizer is allowed. I'm thinking Big Easy (got another sample) and maybe the Balm's Balmshelter tinted moisturizer? I have like 3 tm or foundation samples from sephora right now to test out
-real techniques flawless face brush
-birchbox order with points (I have about $100 and this is after my $50 spree!)
-haircut after I finish all my term papers and before I graduate. Gotta look good for my hooding ceremony! (End of April haircut maybe early May)

I hope I can handle it!
Whoa, good luck finishing your term papers! I hate writing papers, it's so hard for me. You can do it- you're freaking smart! And I'm so excited about your graduation, you awesome, smart lady! What kind of haircut are you going to get? YOU CAN HANDLE IT!!!
yessir.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by lorizav /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, really have to get serious about this. I just got out of the hospital where I ran up some major bills. Soooooo...cancelled ipsy, little black bag, next month after I spend points will cancel a BB, the other is annual so I will keep.

I am selling stuff on EBay because I went a little Memebox crazy so at least I can sell some things to pay for that. I will keep my weight watchers membership. I can request free samples from companies. Cut back on swapping (postage). No purchase of anything that I am not completely out of. Sephora orders under $5 are ok on occasion. Gotta do it because I don't know how long before I can go back to work
frown.gif

Give me strength to resist all the good deals
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry about your hospital stay and the bills that resulted. Good on you for cancelling ipsy, I did that last month and it wasn't easy, but it's less painful now that it's been a month and it's over.

Good luck selling on Ebay- I need to do that too, and I'm going to start soon.

You can resist, you're strong. Don't read the 'deal' emails, just delete them. Don't walk around Sephora or Ulta, and stay weary of the other threads on this board, you might find yourself wanting something! But you are strong and you can do it for a little while until you can pay off a good bit of your bills, and then maybe you can start treating yourself again. Good luck!
hb.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh yay there's an April thread up!  

Allowed for April:

-Ipsy and ONE Birchbox. (I can get a second birchbox if 1)I really like the stuff that's in the boxes and 2) I can use a code to get points or a nice GWP)

-My usual $25 splurge budget for all other beauty purchases.  I *may* pick up a full-size gel cleanser.  I have combo skin and recently switched to a milk/cream cleanser.  I mainly like it, but I do still like using a gel cleanser occasionally because I feel like my skin gets cleaner.  If anyone can recommend a good drugstore-level gel cleanser for combo/sensitive skin, you'd be my hero!

Non beauty, but kind of necessary for MUT - I need to get my laptop's screen replaced.  I was quite stupid and left my laptop closed on the floor, and during a kid/dog chase through the living room, SOMEONE stepped on my computer.  There's a huge spiderweb crack radiating out from the right side, and whole portions of the screen around the cracks is black.  It's kind of funny, because the pattern looks like a dinosaur footprint on my screen, but really not, because I have to grab my screen and scoot it around to see every word/image.  Has anyone ever had a similar situation and knows approximately how much it is to get the screen replaced at a Best Buy - type location?  (Neither my hubby nor I are good at fixing computers, and we haven't lived here very long and don't know any good local computer repair shops.)

I was quite good in March, and really hoping to carry it forward through April!  Cheers to us!
That really sucks about your laptop, I'm so sorry! I hate when stuff like that happens. I hope you can get it replaced with a good deal.

Good on you for your March goals! And best of luck this April!
sunshine.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by trustlust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  April No-Buy Guidelines

• Subs (Birchbox x 3, ipsy, Beauty Box 5) - Allowed to keep. Will cancel one of my Birchbox's after this month and use it for promo-use only. Unless I use 3 of my ipsy products, it gets cancelled as well. Fortune Cookie Soap box is already paid, so I'm good on that.
  • If I run out of 'staple item', I can re-purchase to replace it.
  • Two 'oops' buys - cash only!
  • If I'm not out of a staple item, but they run a seriously stupid good deal on it, I can buy it, but I have to take away an 'oops' purchase.
  • Things I know I have to replace - body wash, face wash, & e-liquid oil for my vaporizer.
  • 50$ shipping budget for swaps.
  • Can only eat out once a week.
  • Completely 100% off limits(except for swaps) - hair dye(*sigh* is grunge back in?), clothes, shoes, perfume, lotion, blush, lip products
Good luck with your goals this month! I like the idea of your 'oops' buys- will you have a budgeted amount for that, or just two purchases? I like the idea of allowing yourself to take advantage of good deals, but still lowering your 'oops' purchase amount.
hb.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by PeridotCricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to try a low-buy for April.

Things I Can Get:

1 Sumita Eyeliner in Lime Green if I don't get it in my Birchbox.

1 Orange Lip Product. Must be purchased online & it has to be from a company I absolutely know is cruelty-free.

Indie Nail Polish. 1 Order. $35 or Less. Probably ILNP or Del Sol brand, but I can't make up my mind.

Things That Are Off Limits:

Coffee! I have been spending over $30 a week on coffee.

Shampoo & Conditioner
Shower Gel
Room Sprays/Candles/Difusers
Drugstore Nail Polish
Eyeliners (Except the 1 Sumita)
Drugstore Lip Products
Face Cleaners

I have enough of everything that off limits to last 3 months to a year (longer if I count lip products), so it's not like I need more.

I need to spend money on clothes. Ugh. And Shoes. Ugh, Again.

Birchbox does not count, at least for April. Both my accounts are already pre-paid because 1 was gifted with points and the other they charged me $10 immediately when I resunscribed after my March box was sent.
Good luck with your low-buy this month! 
smiley10.gif
I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of unexpected expenses come up the next few months, so I want to take advantage of chic week and then be finished with buying stuff, or at least until I run out of necessary products.

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Starting April 1st, I'm on an extreme low buy until August 1st. I can replenish items that I use daily when they run out. I might cancel my birchbox sub once I get my 13 month code in April. I have to cut back and save up for my move to another state.
Wow, you're awesome! Actually, I might try to do a similar thing, now that I've read this. I am buying some stuff for Chic Week, but maybe, just maybe I'll tell myself no more purchases until the 20% VIB thing in November, because apparently, I'll be a VIB instead of just a BI after I make my chic week order.
icon_redface.gif
Thanks for the inspiration, and stay strong! We will do our best, and we will succeed!

Quote: Originally Posted by MIKAGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was doing so well on my no-buy and then I just caved. Last month, I bought a NARS blush, I bought ridiculous things during the NYX 30% sale (Yellow eyeliner? Orange blush? I love colors, but come on! I won't use that!), etc stupid things that I absolutely do not need. I LOVE that NARS blush though.

I am going back to my I do not need anything no-buy! Like nothing! Not even chapstick (Hello! I have a life supply as it is)

I'm a college student, I work one day a week, I am not drowning in any debt thanks to scholarships, but school supplies are killing me! Luckily, my parents help me out. I feel selfish that I go and spend $30 on a blush, but then I have to ask them to help me buy printmaking supplies. Art supplies are freakin' expensive! I need them more than a blush so from now on I need to keep that in mind.

Can I paint/draw on a canvas with that? That is what I need to keep in mind. I could say I could paint my face with it, but I have an insane amount of makeup. I do not have an insane amount of canvases. I need money for that!

I will keep my Birchbox and Ipsy for this month. It is my birthday month. I am thinking of cancelling my ipsy after this month. I will miss it and I do love ipsy, but I need to focus on the stash I have.

Since it is my birthday month, I also have to keep in mind that I may splurge on one or two things that have been in my wishlist for awhile. I will see how I feel though, I may be too invested to purchase something. Who knows? I will wait and see.
Happy Birthday!!! We've missed seeing you around the forum, girl!

Also, I LOVE PRINTMAKING OMG! I hope you have a great time doing that!
yay.gif

It's really strong to realized you don't need anything and follow through by not buying anything. I'm proud of your willpower!

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  April plans:

• Cancel all subs except Birchbox (although I cancelled one of the four I had coming in and another one will be cancelled after April) and Nina Garcia and NOT resubscribe because of a deal. Oh and I won't cancel Julep or Square Hue, but I can only purchase one or the other. 
  • No makeup purchases not even for chic week. I need NOTHING. I was trying to figure out something to purchase, but after doing an inventory, I just can't find anything I need at all. If there are fabulous Sephora samples, I can buy some cotton rounds, but that is it! Max total allowed to spend $10.
  • I can buy conditioner only because we need it for the girls' bathroom.
  • I can buy one new outfit for running.
  • I can buy a new top OR skirt for Easter (but not both...I have to use something from my closet).

Ok...I think that will do!
Wow, you're doing good! I think that's awesome that you're able to realize you don't need anything. Good for you, you're amazing! Keep it up, you will be proud of yourself this month!
claps.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Lots of "that's life" expenses happening in April. I don't even have the estimate on one of those yet and I'm already cringing in anticipation of the quote. Among other stressors, I'm preparing for a licensing exam that I will take at the end of the month. Because of this, I keep wanting to buy myself some happy, but it's pointless because it's not like I'm going anywhere but work and then straight home to study until the day of reckoning. 

So, not really allowed to buy makeup. The only exception is finding a summertime foundation, which will be a bit more matte than my current one. However, I'm a lot happier with my skin than I've been in years, so maybe I'll give that a pass or look for a tinted moisturizer.

I need to find a spf moisturizer that I like, but again, it's not like I'm actually seeing the sun while I hole myself up studying. So while I really want one, I should wait until I'm sure about some other expenses. That also goes for my sudden desire to pick up  stuff from Paula's Choice. It can wait a couple of more months. 

I need a new primer, but I think I'm actually doing better without one recently, thanks to my skincare, so that can also wait?

I'm allowing myself a Birchbox as a treat to break the doldrums. I haven't decided yet if I'm allowed to buy myself something after the test or wait until I get the results back a month later. 
I buy a few things from Paula's Choice, and let me say they tend to have cyclic deals, so if you are signed up for their emails, just wait until they have SPF moisturizers on sale. I use the Skin Balancing one, and I like it, but the only thing I don't like about it is that it isn't as moisturizing as my skin needs in the winter. I think this summer it'll be perfect.

I don't ever use a primer. So maybe you should try going without for a while and seeing how it goes? I don't know... maybe in the summer it's more necessary?

Good luck with your goals this month!
star.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My rules for this month:

- Keep ipsy. This is currently my only makeup sub. After recieving this bag I'm going to decide if I want to keep subscribing. I like it, but I don't LOVE it.

- Stop buying clothes! But forreal I need to go through everything I own and determine what I still want/need/actually wear and what I can maybe sell to Plato's closet or give away to charity. Same goes for shoes.

- Chic week: -sigh-, I may just have to buy my NARS TM and hold off on the other things I was planning on buying because....

I'm buying my grandmother's old car from her. She's probably going to give me a great price, but it's still a lot of money that I don't NEED to be spending. But the opportunity arose and my car is kind of unsightly to look at, and I figured out that I can actually get car insurance cheaper on my own policy rather than on my parents'.

Overall I had a pretty successful month of March with buying very little makeup, but I more than made up for it with clothing purchases. I also need to work on bringing my lunch to work
I know what you mean- sometimes when I successfully avoid buying one thing, I end up spending money on another that I don't put a limit on. It's so annoying!
icon_mad.gif

Congratulations on getting your granny's car. And good luck with your low buy this month!
goldcup.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Spring Cleaning Time!!

Good luck with your Spring Cleaning!  
bath.gif
I have no hair masks, but immediately for some reason a DIY avocado mask came to mind, so I did a search and this one is one you can do in-shower so you don't have to leave it in overnight. 

Got avocados? Turns out they're a great ingredient to use when your hair is in desperate need of a deep conditioning treatment. One recipe Candice recommends:

Yolk and avocado hair mask: Whisk one egg yolk, one teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil, and one teaspoon of honey together in a small bowl. Using a fork, mash in 1/2 of an avocado. Then, while you’re in the shower, apply the paste first to your ends and then all over your hair. Let it soak into your strands for 15 to 20 minutes, rinse it out, shampoo, and then rinse again.

---

Now for my April goals!!!

(Ok, so, I will post in the March thread about my March goals. I think I did very badly.)

1.) For April, I'm going to take advantage of Chic Week to get some new things for myself. I'm still in the process of finding the right products for me. I've been doing lots of research and testing in stores and online, and now I think I have some products that will work really well for me!

2.) After I make my purchase getting the 15% off, I'll be a VIB at Sephora. Because of that, my goal will be to make no more purchases until the 20% off November deal that comes with being a VIB. I'm going to try very hard at this, and only repurchase items I NEED that I run out of.

And that's it. That's my April goal-  a Chic Week purchase, and no more. I won't run out of anything probably until June or July, so I probably won't even need to make a purchase like that until then.

I'm allowing myself the Chic Week purchase only because I'm going through a divorce right now, I'm having a really difficult time, I'm feeling really down on myself and I've been finding it hard to even see the reason to try to make myself look nice. See my post here from last week that is really depressed-sounding : https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/141988/divorce-and-self-esteem  I want to get myself some make-up so I can start trying and get myself feeling better about myself. So, I don't feel bad about it... and especially considering I'm going to attempt not to make another purchase until November. I'm excited!

Ok, I'll check back in later.

Oh, before I go, some expenses I'll have to deal with this month:

1.) Multiple therapy sessions

2.) Hotel and food during my weekend in Chicago

3.) Ugh traffic ticket

4.) Anxiety workbook

5.) Higher gas bills when I move out

6.) Probably some unexpected stufff... like new car insurance or something

7.) Lawyer fees for the divorce

I'll try to keep my head up!

I'm new to this low/no-buy thing, but definitely need it! This is what I laid out in the March thread for end of March and for April. So far, so good for the end of March - but it's only been a few days!

Goals/plan for April:

- Keep my ipsy sub, especially since I'm a relative newbie to makeup and it's a still a good way for me to try out new brands/colors/items.

- Keep my Black Sheep Lacquer sub (already paid for April, but I plan on getting May, too) - $15/mo. 

- Place an order on nailbox.co, since I have a Gilt voucher that expires in April. Spend no more than $10 above the voucher value. Gift some of the polishes I get with the voucher.

- Skip Julep again (I don't want to cancel quite yet, since I'm good about skipping and want to keep my "grandmothered" account)

- Buy the monthly Pretty & Polished box if they're colors that I just have to have. If I don't get the box, I can have a $25 "splurge" budget for the rest of April.

- Use my tax refund to top off my 2013 IRA and put the rest into my vacation/honeymoon fund. I got married last September, and we're hoping to go on our honeymoon trip around our 1 year anniversary!

- Definitely no purchasing of lotions, shampoo/conditioner, face wash, face masks, or eyeshadow!

I need to add an exception for the cleaning thing:  This Saturday.  It *should* be a cleaning day, but my inner eight-year-old is insisting that will be _Captain America_ day instead because she is *obsessed* with comic book movies.  But I'm staying home cleaning today (I took the day off to recover from the aforementioned comic con, and I decided I would clean instead of catching up on tv shows on Hulu or reading the lovely stack o' graphic novels and comics I picked up yesterday for a change), so that makes up for it, right?  My apartment still needs a ton of help, but I might as well go with a cleaning binge when I'm in the mood like this. 

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I need to add an exception for the cleaning thing:  This Saturday.  It *should* be a cleaning day, but my inner eight-year-old is insisting that will be _Captain America_ day instead because she is *obsessed* with comic book movies.  But I'm staying home cleaning today (I took the day off to recover from the aforementioned comic con, and I decided I would clean instead of catching up on tv shows on Hulu or reading the lovely stack o' graphic novels and comics I picked up yesterday for a change), so that makes up for it, right?  My apartment still needs a ton of help, but I might as well go with a cleaning binge when I'm in the mood like this. 
The best part of spring cleaning is yard sales! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Make some extra money! 

Quote: Originally Posted by trustlust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The best part of spring cleaning is yard sales! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Make some extra money! 
Sadly, the stuff I'm purging is complete crap, like old Sephora packing lists I had been saving in case I needed to return something but now do not need, pens I loved that are now turning out to be dry and useless, shipping boxes and packing material I've been hanging onto just in case I need to send something that fits in a PopSugar/Allure/Sephora/Birchbox/Amazon box, and shredded kitty toys I have finally decided need to *go*.  And I have a problem throwing out potentially-useful stuff, and if I keep it around for a yard sale at some point in the future (and I'm a procrastinator, so *that* would take months if not years to put together), I end up keeping it, period, so I really have to just throw everything out or haul it off to Goodwill.  And then there's the part where I have lots of stuff I want to keep, but it's not sorted or organized in any way, like these piles of dvds and books sitting on my couch.  It's easier to sit on my ass and powerload season after season of something off Netflix all weekend.

Oh my gosh you guys, the local drug store is going out of business and pretty much their entire beauty section is half off... I didn't buy anything!  I wasn't even tempted!  They didn't have any Rimmel Stay Matte foundation, which is the only thing I'm really interested in right now. And it helped that the whole store had this weird, ghost-town feeling and all the nail polishes looked old and separated and gross.  

So happy! Ending March on a positive note, looking forward to April!

And @eastofthesun I'm so sorry you have continual expenses from the divorce.  None of those things you listed are any fun to spend $ on!  But the therapy is essential for you to be happy and healthy, a good lawyer is absolutely necessary, and daggone traffic ticket!  They are NEVER conveniently timed, are they?  I know you said you're having a hard time getting motivated to look nice... look nice for YOU!  For the wonderful woman who has the strength to make it through all this, Spoil yourself a bit at Chic Week, and then we'll all help you stay on the beauty no-buy wagon!  Good luck, we're here for you!

A lot of my April goals are kind of similar to March. Here it goes!
Home
-I will allow myself to buy the 3 oz Butterbeer flavoured tea from Adagio when I finish at least 6 of the Harry Potter themed teas I have.
-I am allowing myself to get the Lemon, Vanilla, and Strawberry flavoured St Dalfours teas. (Net Cost has 'em cheap.) 
-For every tea flavour I finish, I will allow myself to purchase 1 new sampler. (I might not buy any at all, though.) I want to finish: Christmas, Caramel, Pumpkin Spice, Earl Grey Lavender, Gingerbread, Tardis blend, Peppermint, and one of my English Breakfasts. But, if I purchase, I MUST stick to my wishlist.
-If I have the spare money for it, I can get a 48 tealight package of beeswax candles. I believe that they're the best type of candle for your health, and I could use them for my tart warmer. I should use up my Midsummer's Night tealights first.
Bath & Body
-NO LOTION OR SHOWER GEL LOL
-I'm in the lookout for a good healthy deodorant! I want Aluminum & Cruelty free. I've tried Tom's of Maine & Naturally fresh, but both did not work out. So, I may buy coconut oil if I end up making my own.
Face
-I will allow myself to get a few Freeman sample masks online to try out some of the new ones. I might not actually buy them, but I will allow myself to.
Makeup
-I'm still wanting to get Beauty Marked by MAC, but I haven't gotten it. So if I get the chance, I will allow this.

I, too, am going to go through all of my stuff. I'm going to take out all of the stuff I am desperate to use up and separate them. I might give things to people, but I would prefer to use em all up, since I spent my money on everything. 

I might be tempted to make frivolous purchases this month, so I'm going to give myself a budget of $50 for anything unnecessary (i.e. Soap, when I have like 6 backups of random cute and good smelling ones from TJ Maxx, or like the Rimmel lip glosses I know I love that are also on clearance at my local Kmart for $1.50 !)
 I'm going to put all of my receipts in a separate area for this month, and I'll stick them with my year's receipts at the end of the month, after I calculate to see if I stayed in budget! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I hope we all succeed!!!

I'm on a real no-buy. I'm considering cutting up my debit card. 

The only purchase I will have to make is a birthday present for my lover! His birthday is the 22nd. Anyone have any ideas for me of what to get him? He always buys me jewelry so I'd like to reciprocate that thought but... well guys just don't really wear jewelry. I thought of getting him a watch but the one he already has and wears all the time cost like $800 so anything I buy will be pathetic in comparison. 

He also loves colognes but he has soooo many already!!! I'm lost. He also has enough shirts. about 500 + and always buying more so that's out. 
11dh.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now for my April goals!!!

(Ok, so, I will post in the March thread about my March goals. I think I did very badly.)

1.) For April, I'm going to take advantage of Chic Week to get some new things for myself. I'm still in the process of finding the right products for me. I've been doing lots of research and testing in stores and online, and now I think I have some products that will work really well for me!

2.) After I make my purchase getting the 15% off, I'll be a VIB at Sephora. Because of that, my goal will be to make no more purchases until the 20% off November deal that comes with being a VIB. I'm going to try very hard at this, and only repurchase items I NEED that I run out of.

And that's it. That's my April goal-  a Chic Week purchase, and no more. I won't run out of anything probably until June or July, so I probably won't even need to make a purchase like that until then.

I'm allowing myself the Chic Week purchase only because I'm going through a divorce right now, I'm having a really difficult time, I'm feeling really down on myself and I've been finding it hard to even see the reason to try to make myself look nice. See my post here from last week that is really depressed-sounding : https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/141988/divorce-and-self-esteem  I want to get myself some make-up so I can start trying and get myself feeling better about myself. So, I don't feel bad about it... and especially considering I'm going to attempt not to make another purchase until November. I'm excited!

Ok, I'll check back in later.

Oh, before I go, some expenses I'll have to deal with this month:

1.) Multiple therapy sessions

2.) Hotel and food during my weekend in Chicago

3.) Ugh traffic ticket

4.) Anxiety workbook

5.) Higher gas bills when I move out

6.) Probably some unexpected stufff... like new car insurance or something

7.) Lawyer fees for the divorce

I'll try to keep my head up!
 I hope things work in your favor and I agree with others that you need to spoil yourself a bit! I always tell myself "if I don't spoil myself, no one else is".

I just cancelled my second birchbox account...that was harder then I thought. My plan for April- One birchbox since its already paid for. Chic week since I have gift cards...but can't spend more. And nothing more other then things that I don't have back ups or need to be replaced

@eastofthesun Thanks for your words of encouragement! I wish we could make things better for you. I know you're going through rough times and some of those expenses must hurt, but they are worth it even if they don't feel like it. I echo another person's post of the importance of a lawyer for the divorce. I don't want to talk about my own work for confidentiality reasons, but I've talked with people who went into divorce proceedings without one and get incredibly burnt. 

I'm also a fan of PC's Skin Balancing line, but it's the gel moisturizer I love. When I tried the sample of the Skin Balancing SPF moisturizer it felt tacky on my skin. Do you find that to be the case for you? I think I need to give it another try. While I love the Coola SPF I got in BB on its own, it's a disaster under my foundation. 

Ugggghhhh. I want to buy things already. I guess this would be messing up March and not messing up April right?? I have been working on 2 different projects all day with crazy data sets. My regressions just. Are. Not. Working. I've been working ALL day. I'm going to go to my prof tomorrow to ask for help on one of my projects. I feel like I've asked him sooo many times for help. The guy is nice and definitely won't say no and is ALWAYS willing to help students but I feel like I'm burning through my "free passes" quickly. At least I'm already on my empirical section whereas some people haven't even started or picked a topic! I'm just so frustrated and all I wanna do is buy pretties (or at least read reviews till my eyeballs fall out). All of a sudden I feel like my brows need help. Brow products are the 1 territory I have not dipped into just yet. Oh and the drama of trying to find a good foundation is also making me itch for a purchase. Yikes. Ok sorry that was super long. I'm gonna read some articles on money demand in emerging markets, watch the finale of how I met your mother, cry my little eyeballs out; and hopefully then I won't feel the need to make a purchase.

Oh my goodness we're already two pages in and I missed it all - how did this happen?!

Actually, I was away for the weekend moving the MIL into assisted living. So success, no makeup purchases on March! I got the most GIANT itch to go buy stuff after, though, so I got on instagram and went through the project pan tag, and it reminded me just how freaking LONG it takes to use up stuff. All lemmings killed. I put together a little mac quad that feels very "new to me" (despite having had the shadows for a while. I feel taking things out of their usual context usually makes them feel brand new again), so I am excited to try that for this week -- short work week. Only 4 days. 

Anyways, plans for April!

Goal: No-buy in full swing still and continue to use up products.

Rules for the month:

1. No makeup. Period. 

2. Skincare is allowed ** if i find a good Vit C serum, as my face has been freaking out the last week or so (stress?) and i feel it needs to be pampered a bit.

3. Cut down the coffee buying to once a week, and on other 4 days it can be made at home. 

** I want to start taking preventative measures on the aging thing... for the most part I don't fall into the hype, but there are certain things that are a must. SPF, for one, which I try to do religiously (my morning lotion has spf in it, and for the most part most of my liquid/cream makeup does as well); and also moisturizing, which is an absolute must because I have very sensitive skin that freaks out if it gets too dry.

So simple rules, really. Which brings me to ways of accomplishing this:

1. Get back on the Monday Club bandwagon. I seem to read it almost weekly but never post! what the heck. Mostly, I've been lazy when selecting items.

2. Shop the stash, switch out or introduce one extra item to the Monday selection mid-week, so that it's more variety. 

3. Read/watch more project pan things -- those videos/posts seem to get me pumped again to try and use up my stuff. 

4. Coffee wise: make it at home 4 days out of the week. Also as a deterrent from getting it more than once, for every extra cup I have, I have to exercise the 2 hours it takes to burn through 500 calories. (doing the math means 1 cup on monday = 2 hours of work out that same day, same thing if it happens Tuesday, etc. Being as I am lazy, this is about the best deterrent I've found!)

5. Start learning more about budgeting -- I mean, we have a pretty solid system to track expenses, but haven't done digging into how to allot things and budget with whatever's remaining. 

6. Focus on decorating our new home and doing DIY's instead of buying it store made (if possible). Saves money, is rewarding, and feels much more personal.

Phew. I think this is doable.... I think...I think... (I wish!)

Quote: Originally Posted by Krystan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm on a real no-buy. I'm considering cutting up my debit card. 

The only purchase I will have to make is a birthday present for my lover! His birthday is the 22nd. Anyone have any ideas for me of what to get him? He always buys me jewelry so I'd like to reciprocate that thought but... well guys just don't really wear jewelry. I thought of getting him a watch but the one he already has and wears all the time cost like $800 so anything I buy will be pathetic in comparison. 

He also loves colognes but he has soooo many already!!! I'm lost. He also has enough shirts. about 500 + and always buying more so that's out. 
11dh.gif

Hmm... what about electronics, like a tablet or e-reader or something? Otherwise, can you do some sort of mini-vacation/surprise weekend getaway? Or get tickets to a show, or some sort of activity that's on his bucket list (skydiving or something like that)? I don't know what kind of shirts he's collecting (dress vs. t-shirts) but if he has to dress up regularly, maybe cuff links or tie clips? 

Back