Argan Oil

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has no scent at all. Im not sure if its 100% even thought it says it is. So far my hair has been looking really good. I put it in a dropper bottle.

Argan Oil / 8 oz

No kidding! I'd been treating it like gold too. I'm still debating the argan oil because it is sooo expensive.

Yes, it's an expensive oil, can you get sample sizes of your oils ? That's what i do to cut down the costs.

I found a company that makes all their products with argan oil.  It is called LAVEVE, and includes a hair treatment and a pure argan oil.  I use the hair treatment and I swear my hair grows longer than 1/2 inch a month!  But I absolutely love their pure for my face and nails.  It is certified organic, and since I am 'older', my skin is drier.  Since using, my eastitician said my skin is no longer dehydrated and I have noticed my fine lines and wrinkles aren't as noticeable.  I use religiously under my makeup, then again at night under my night cream.  I found an online coupon code and got 20% off my entire order from their website. 

I bought some from Sally's Beauty Supply on sale one day. It's not organic or anything, but it said 100% and it was a pretty good price. I think it was only about 1 or 2 ounces, but the clerk said a very small amount goes a long way. Unfortunately, I lost it and wasn't able to try it... :-(

I'm trying to grow my hair out and have dry skin problems. The clerk said you can put it in your shampoo, lotion, use it straight, etc...

I've been thinking about buying another one... Is it really worth it to try?

You should try the Oil Cleansing Method to help your dry skin.  I used to get dry patches on my face but starting with OCM, I don't have that problem anymore.  You can use olive oil for your hair.  Use it as a hair mask, shampoo it out.  It's amazing for hair and you can find it in your pantry :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should try the Oil Cleansing Method to help your dry skin.  I used to get dry patches on my face but starting with OCM, I don't have that problem anymore.  You can use olive oil for your hair.  Use it as a hair mask, shampoo it out.  It's amazing for hair and you can find it in your pantry :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
I have some BIOSILK Silk Therapy that I have been using, it seems to help, but I don't like the feeling it leaves. It's not really greasy, but I feel it on my skin. Sure it's weightless and makes my hair shiny, but I don't like the way my hair feels the day after. I usually wash my hair with shampoo every other day to 2 days, but when I use the BIOSILK, I have to wash it more often. 

I never thought of using olive oil for my hair. I know it's good for me, I only use organic olive oil in my cooking and I buy it in bulk, so that's a good idea. I'll try that tomorrow before I shower. How much oil do you think I should use and how often? Also, will it help frizzy, curly hair? My daughter's hair is so fine and curly. She cries every time I comb her hair and it frizzes like crazy afterwards. Maybe I will buy a sample of the argan oil from the site you listed. I googled "100% argan oil" and your site was the best price for how much you get, plus it was organic too.

Use an amount according to your hair length, but i would say start with half a teaspoon, and apply more if needed. You can also add a drop of ylang ylang essential oil in the oil, or in the shampoo. It's not a must have, but ylang ylang has good benefits for hair. I don't have curly hair, but the oil definitely seals the follicles of my hair so in that sense, it helps with frizz.

How many times a week depends on the hair type, but i would say once or twice a week is enough. It's a deep treatment and you have to wash your hair the next day so of course it's something i plan when i'm sure i'll have that time to dedicate in the morning.

You can also apply a few drops of oil as a leave in conditioner on the lengths. Be careful as it can weigh hair down, so if your daughter's hair fine, a few drops should be more than enough.

Another oil i can suggest is camellia oil. It has a very nice floral scent which could be more pleasant to your daughter. It's also more expensive. I've been using a shampoo called Tsubaki from shiseido which contaisn camellia oil (tsubaki is the japanese translation) and it's fantastic on my hair.

I use LAVEVE PURE Argan Oil on my face and now it is on sales for the Holidays at over 40% off.  Go to www.laveve.com and you don't even need a coupon code.  I only use a pea sized amount, a little goes a long way.  It is absolutely the best price for pure argan oil that is certified organic.  There is a slight nutty scent, but you cannot smell anything once on your skin. 

I use it but have a tissue with some of my fave perfume on so I can sniff that until it disappears. Neem oil is totally revolting, it reminds me of the stables I used to go to, they used it on the horses hooves.

Neem oil takes a lot of getting used to...it actually smells pleasant when added to a soap recipe tho.  I had to use it for something other than on its own.

Argan Oil is great, because of its many uses, it's so versatile.

Be sure to buy 100% Pure Argan Oil. Some companies say it's 100% but check the ingredient listings, it may well be mixed with other oils.

Some ways of using Argan Oil.

• Apply two to four drops in the morning and evening to clean face and neck to moisturise skin.
• Apply daily to hands and body to restore moisture and alleviate dry skin.
• Apply two to four drops daily to nails and cuticles to strengthen nails and soften cuticles.
• Apply two drops or more to dry hair prior to shampooing or to clean, wet hair prior to styling.
• Apply two drops or more to your conditioner to soften and defrizz hair.
• Apply two drops or more to dry, styled hair to protect hair from harsh environmental factors.
• Mix equal parts of argan oil and lemon juice and soak for 10 minutes. This will not only soften your cuticles but also limit nail breakage.
• For an intensive hair treatment, to improve dry scalp, to restore dry damaged hair and add shine, apply a generous amount of oil to dry hair starting at the ends, then wrap in a warm towel and leave for 30 minutes or leave it overnight. Wash and style as usual.
• For dry scalp and dandruff, massage into the roots too. Repeat this once or twice a week for soft, smooth and glossy hair.
• To calm frizzy hair use a drop or two of the oil, rub palms together and scrunch into ends.

Check out www.mirashand.com.au for Argan Oil and also check out her blog ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

95% of the 'argan oils' I've seen on the market are NOT 100% pure argan. They're overpriced rubbish. They are mixed with other cheaper oils, silicones, dimethicone, etc. Read your labels if you want the real thing. If you really do want the real stuff, hunt down a wholesale supplier of essential oils and carrier oils. Google and you shall find. You can then add it to whatever you want. Skin care products, hair care products, whatever. If you buy the stuff in the stores you are nearly 100% likely to get ripped off pricewise and qualitywise. It's a good oil and I sometimes use it but I also think it's way overhyped. I much more prefer castor oil and virgin coconut oil for hair and evening primrose, rosehip seed, carrot tissue and camellia oils for the skin. Jojoba is also very good but that I also wouldn't buy in stores simply because it's too easy for companies to dilute them with other crap oils to maximize profits. Wholesalers whose customers are soap makers, aromatherapists and skin care product makers know that their customers generally are knowledgeable enough to realize what is and isn't a good quality oil.

Something I read about argan oil is that it only grows in Morocco and that 1/3 of the trees have been harvested. My question would then be, if it's a rare oil (which explains the cost) how can the cosmetic industry keep up the demand? My suspicion is that it can't which is why so much so-called argan oil is not pure. Like others have mentioned read the label because most likely it's not even the main ingredient.

Back