Attending Makeup School....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be starting MUD out here in LA pretty soon (Im quickly learning I need FX training, and the beauty course couldnt hurt) and from what Ive seen its really, really good. Let ya know after i start tho!

Hi Jia,

I actually went to MUD for a while and then had to quit because of a family emergency. I went for a few weeks and it was alright. I was there with my cousin and the both of us liked some of the teachers but it felt like a lot of money for very little attention. there was like 40 other people in the class so the teachers attention was spread really thin.

Anyway, my cousin finished the program and I had to drop out to help my mother after a car accident. I ended up buying a course online called the event makeup artist so i could continue my education and still be around for my mom. What was really unexpected is that by the time my cousin had finished MUD I had learned the exact same material and practiced so much more than her I was far better. By the time she graduated I already had a paying gig.

To this day my cousin is still pissed she paid all that money and I had more to show of it. I guess some times blessings come in disguises :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have always thought it to be ridiculous how much some of my competes charge you could go to an ivy league university for a semester and it's going to take years to make or pay back those loans.

***removed spam***

ATTN: Makeup/cosmetics schools!   Please do not spam our group with your schools.  This thread is for members who have been or resourced a beauty school.  Contact us for advertising rates.   Thank you!

I did not attend a makeup trade school and have had just as many opportunities as my industry-friends who did... This is not always the general rule. Education can only help you. What I read from your original post is that you just want to know how to apply makeup for yourself and if you're any good at it you might think of making a career of it? Maybe I misunderstood. In my opinion, that's potentially a waste of money to attend a full-blown makeup school if you're not seeking to BE a professional makeup artist. They can be very expensive and require a huge time commitment as well. Many schools do, however have short courses that are for those who just want the basics of makeup application. If you want to make a career, I've heard that MUD is a good school- I have a friend in LA who is an SFX artist and works on many of the top films and tv shows and he says he always hires his interns from MUD graduates b/c he believes they've been taught well. Just know that it is possible to learn what you need by researching on your own and apprenticing/interning with other professional artists (which is what I did.) Good luck!

It is good to enroll yourself with reputed institute which will also help you to switch career if the need arises. 

Back