Beauty Blender

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overpriced, yes, but worth it. I have so many sponges from other companies (ULTA, Graftobain, SoHo, Real Techinque) and none really dupe the Beauty Blender though Real Techinques comes close.
I agree. The beauty blender is one of a kind! I have a review, comparing the beauty blender and the Real Techniques sponge. They are as close as I've found, but there really is only one.

I'm not really sold on the beauty blender. I don't think it works any better than the cheaper products you find in the supermarket. It is definitely way overpriced.

I wonder if there are any dupes for beauty blender since its is difficult to get it here in Europe without breaking the bank for shipping etc.

I'm not really sold on the beauty blender. I don't think it works any better than the cheaper products you find in the supermarket. It is definitely way overpriced.
The Beauty Blender works better because it's denser than your typical wedgies, also there are no edges on the Blender.

I wonder if there are any dupes for beauty blender since its is difficult to get it here in Europe without breaking the bank for shipping etc.
Most if not all mid-range brands (MAC, Eve Pearl) have dupes. Even drugstore branded make-up brands have dupes.

I just want to chime in and say that while I love the beauty blender, I HATE the pro version (black one). I don't care how many sites say it's the same as the pink one, it's not. It's more...porous or something? The textrue is different and it seems spongier (it that's a word) and it seems less dense. Just really don't like it as much as the original version.

Once upon a time I was the same way but other cosmetic sponges are more rigid and do not allow for easier blending of liquid or cream products like the Beautyblender does. There are a few dupes that do come close to the Beautyblender such as Real Techniques sponge. It's pretty close but not a dead one dupe.

I use my beauty blender with Almay, and I made it go on a lot smoother than with my stippling brush! I wish it worked for you, I love mine!

I just want to chime in and say that while I love the beauty blender, I HATE the pro version (black one). I don't care how many sites say it's the same as the pink one, it's not. It's more...porous or something? The textrue is different and it seems spongier (it that's a word) and it seems less dense. Just really don't like it as much as the original version.
I know what you mean. (Everyone has a budget limit and dupes fall into that category). 

Now your post reminded me of something that I never thought of until just now... Before there was the Beauty Blender, MUA's used Red Stipple sponges for decades, and we still use them, usually in the old-school special effects area of make-up. So your description of the Pro version reminded me of the texture of the Red Stipple sponge which could be considered a Blender dupe.

We also use Orange and Black Stipple sponges, but with these two types, you would never use for straight (regular) make-ups.

Once upon a time I was the same way but other cosmetic sponges are more rigid and do not allow for easier blending of liquid or cream products like the Beautyblender does. There are a few dupes that do come close to the Beautyblender such as Real Techniques sponge. It's pretty close but not a dead one dupe.
I agree with Zadi here, even with the latex, non-latex, and foam wedgies there is a huge difference in texture and how they behave with products, and I think we all agree that the Beauty Blender is in a separate class of sponge altogether. Probably the closest thing to a Blender is a damp dense sea sponge.

I love beauty blender and its really work, but I am not using regularly, but if you compare with brush, blender is much better what I think personally. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hey :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Foundation doesn't work well with me either, but I absolutely love my beauty blender with concealer! specially under eye concealer, so maybe try it with that, I have a liquid eye concealer, the maybelline age rewind under eye corrector concealer, it works perfect with that :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I would share this with you.

I have the beauty blender and to be honest I am not very impressed with it for the price. It does the job. I have tried lots of other sponges, including MAC and cheaper supermarket brands.

Today I purchased the bodyshop one. It was only like $2 so I wasn't expecting much, but I love it!

This is the first time I have used it and my experience with sponges is that they get better with time, once they have worn in a bit.

It is quite dense & firm. I thoroughly soaked it and then squeezed it out and let it dry off for a few minutes before using and my makeup went on lovely and smooth.

The beauty blender puts cream or gelee blushes on like a dream! I find that I almost always use the BB on my nose even if I'm using a brush and foundation because I always have streaks there. You need to get the BB wet then squeeze. If it's just damp it won't expand to it's full size and won't be as bouncy. It's a great product that IMO has no good dupes yet. 

I've used the Beauty Blender with a few different foundations, one of them being the Kat Von D full coverage foundation. I used a primer and saturated the blender with water before applying and I thought it actually worked pretty well. However, I think you have to be really careful not to buff with the blender as it tends to pull the foundation along with it. I just stipple, and stipple, and stipple until I have everything covered and evened out then, if I need to, I go back with my Tarte Airbrush Finish brush and buff it out a little bit and set with powder. 

I go back and forth between the beauty blender and my Tarte brush with my MUFE HD foundation as well and don't notice much of a difference in the application. I also use it a LOT for blending concealer when I contour. Again, I try not to swirl the sponge on my face, but just gently stipple until things are blended out. 

I'm about ready to replace my original beauty blender and I'm glad I came across this thread because I was totally about to buy one of the professional black blenders, but I won't be now! Has anyone tried the Orchid blender that Sephora sells?? I wonder if that one is any different from the original pink one? 

I've used the Beauty Blender with a few different foundations, one of them being the Kat Von D full coverage foundation. I used a primer and saturated the blender with water before applying and I thought it actually worked pretty well. However, I think you have to be really careful not to buff with the blender as it tends to pull the foundation along with it. I just stipple, and stipple, and stipple until I have everything covered and evened out then, if I need to, I go back with my Tarte Airbrush Finish brush and buff it out a little bit and set with powder. 

I go back and forth between the beauty blender and my Tarte brush with my MUFE HD foundation as well and don't notice much of a difference in the application. I also use it a LOT for blending concealer when I contour. Again, I try not to swirl the sponge on my face, but just gently stipple until things are blended out. 

I'm about ready to replace my original beauty blender and I'm glad I came across this thread because I was totally about to buy one of the professional black blenders, but I won't be now! Has anyone tried the Orchid blender that Sephora sells?? I wonder if that one is any different from the original pink one? 
Thank you!!! I like your instructions...  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

About 10 years ago, I was on a feature (don't ask which one, they're all the same to me...) At any rate, the Key gave a quick demo on her actor, and she said "... It's like bouncing a ball on the face." Albeit gently.

Also saw Eve Pearl at an IMATS several years ago, and she demo'd the same technique with her version.

Regardless if it's the real deal (Blender) or a dupe, it all about technique... Bouncing that ball... Also known as STIPPLING.

Not so much for most members posting on this thread... But I know for new users transitioning from wedgies to a Blender there is a learning curve, as you don't get the same results from stippling with a wedgie as you do with a Blender. Also most people don't even stipple with a wedgie or the roundies (that come in compacts), they rub or wipe the sponge across their face, hence that rubbing / wiping habit is difficult to change when stippling with a Blender.

I also think that the egg-shape of the Blender was purposely designed so that it makes it awkward to use a rubbing or wiping action when using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!!! I like your instructions...  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

About 10 years ago, I was on a feature (don't ask which one, they're all the same to me...) At any rate, the Key gave a quick demo on her actor, and she said "... It's like bouncing a ball on the face." Albeit gently.

Also saw Eve Pearl at an IMATS several years ago, and she demo'd the same technique with her version.

Regardless if it's the real deal (Blender) or a dupe, it all about technique... Bouncing that ball... Also known as STIPPLING.

Not so much for most members posting on this thread... But I know for new users transitioning from wedgies to a Blender there is a learning curve, as you don't get the same results from stippling with a wedgie as you do with a Blender. Also most people don't even stipple with a wedgie or the roundies (that come in compacts), they rub or wipe the sponge across their face, hence that rubbing / wiping habit is difficult to change when stippling with a Blender.

I also think that the egg-shape of the Blender was purposely designed so that it makes it awkward to use a rubbing or wiping action when using it.
Yay, good to know I'm doing something right!!! Thank you  :wub:

I am not a huge fan of the Beautyblender. I think it is a good application tool and that it does make certain foundations look better, but I am not yet convinced I need to replace my current one. So I bought one of those TJ MAXX dupes and we shall see. If the thing is terrible, I will toss it and repurchase my blender. If works out all right, then I will try to go for more affordable options in the future.

Anyways, well shall see! I'm excited to try it.

Back