Befinegate 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a place for us all to continue the discussion on the issues with Befine that many of us have had, or are currently having. 

For those that aren't familiar with Befinegate, here's your debriefing: 

In the April Birchboxes, a large number of subscribers got expired samples in their boxes. And by expired, I mean expired; some of these samples expired years ago. In order to make good, Befine offers 50% off all order on their website. Or, if you didn't want to order anything, you could simply email them your address and they'd send you a deluxe sample of their night cream.

This is where things started to get really hinky. Several ladies placed orders, and all sorts of problems came along. One girl got a sample where the expiration date had clearly been scraped off, another got even more expired samples, and many others were waiting weeks to hear anything about their orders.

Several ladies attempted to contact Befine to figure out exactly what was happening, but it did little good. Emails and phones went unanswered, and unfortunately, it took many of us disputing or threatening to dispute the charge to get our money back. Those who got their money back are lucky--Befine seems to have totally closed itself off from the outside world and is ignoring all communication.

And there you have it, the terrible Befinegate scandal of 2012!

Befinegate lol...love the title, how ominous. I got expired samples, as well. When i discovered people still attempted to place an order, I was surprised! I decided on the spot that it was a company I would never support, especially considering the samples were YEARS' old! I'm happy that BB gave out the 100 points to subbers, which I received. Some people were not too satisfied with just points, but why not? Seems compensation enough and don't most BB subbers redeem points for purchases? My two cents lol.

I was one of the ones that unfortunately decided to give them a shot, haha. I thought, oh, great! How awesome of Befine to try and make this up to everyone. I waited for a month before I finally got my refund from them, and I had tried calling them and emailing them numerous times during that month with not a peep from them. It was when I threatened to dispute the charge on my card that they finally listened and refunded everything!

I think the reason that some people don't like points is because you have to purchase something to get use out of them, so if you're not going to buy anything, they don't mean much. Not so much for packet samples, I've seen some people that didn't get some more expensive samples (like lipsticks, etc) that cost considerably more than 100 points/$10, so they're not getting the full value of that product if say, they wanted to use points to buy it.

But anyway, Befine definitely had a chance to be awesome after the expired packets thing. Too bad that they didn't change their game and learn how to do customer service right!

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wasn't i the one that came up with the term "befinegate" LOL
I think you were...I thought it was the perfect word to describe this whole terrible, awful throwdown haha. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think you were...I thought it was the perfect word to describe this whole terrible, awful throwdown haha. 
word. this whole befine ordeal sounds like a scandal which is why i added the "gate" to the end of it. i wonder if there were any other beauty-related scandals that had the suffix "gate" attached to it. 

word. this whole befine ordeal sounds like a scandal which is why i added the "gate" to the end of it. i wonder if there were any other beauty-related scandals that had the suffix "gate" attached to it. 
Maybe Poshpodgate? Haha, that was a disaster. Sending out old items purchased from eBay, blatant counterfeits...yeah. It was bad. I think it deserves the "gate" on the end. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe Poshpodgate? Haha, that was a disaster. Sending out old items purchased from eBay, blatant counterfeits...yeah. It was bad. I think it deserves the "gate" on the end. 
Psh, it barely deserves a hinge.....

Although I'm sure the "gate" would have a faux Chanel logo on it!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Psh, it barely deserves a hinge.....

Although I'm sure the "gate" would have a faux Chanel logo on it!
Bahaha, absolutely it would! 

ooh i didn't know about this one. i am about to google this now. 
The majority of it falls in a thread on here, although there was a somewhat glowing youtube video from someone who...well....didn't necessarily agree with the ire of folks here.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The majority of it falls in a thread on here, although there was a somewhat glowing youtube video from someone who...well....didn't necessarily agree with the ire of folks here.
thanks.  I'll search for the thread on here too 
smile.gif

All BeFine was in the clearance bin at Ulta yesterday. Even cardboard boxes full of the stuff. I think they are on the way out.

Originally Posted by Jackieblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All BeFine was in the clearance bin at Ulta yesterday. Even cardboard boxes full of the stuff. I think they are on the way out.
I wouldn't be surprised!!

You know, I had some stuff I needed to order, and I like using Bloom (usually) because they often have different samples than Ulta or Sephora....but when I saw that the majority of the samples this time were Befine, I ran straight to Amazon to place the order instead.

Has everyone received replacements? If not please PM me for more information. I spoke with a Befine rep at CPNA yesterday about it and will have a follow up blog post when I get home but contact me if you never heard back from the company or received a replacement?

Who's rushing over to HauteLook to grab some more questionable Befine stuff! Not me :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'll pass, too. I bought a few things in the last event, including some weirdly runny neck cream. Befine ignored all the emails I sent regarding that. I'm done with them.

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Who's rushing over to HauteLook to grab some more questionable Befine stuff! Not me :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Bahahaha, NOT ME! To be honest, I'm surprised they're still around to sell stuff. 

Latest posts

Back