benzyol peroxide

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently tried benzyol peroxide 2.5% and the first few days I used it on my face I thought it was working but then my skin felt hot to touch and it looked like I had tiny pimples all over the areas I had applied it. And my skin felt swollen... I stopped using it and my skin went back to normal after a week. I have heard that this is normal.. Has anyone else experienced this?

Benzoyl peroxide is horrible stuff for the skin. If you're trying to clear your skin up, try glycolic acid, salicylic acid (really penetrates acne), and retina a are far more effective and much gentler on the skin. Benzoyl peroxide will absolutely thrash your face. It shouldn't even be in skin care products anymore. It's an archaic form of 'acne treatment'.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Benzoyl peroxide is horrible stuff for the skin. If you're trying to clear your skin up, try glycolic acid, salicylic acid (really penetrates acne), and retina a are far more effective and much gentler on the skin. Benzoyl peroxide will absolutely thrash your face. It shouldn't even be in skin care products anymore. It's an archaic form of 'acne treatment'.
I would disagree that it's horrible and archaic...It's still effective, but you have to know what role each ingredient plays in treating acne. I actually concurrently use glycolic, salicylic, and benzoyl peroxide to keep my skin under control....

Benzoyl peroxide treats acne by oxygenating the skin (delivering more oxygen into the pore) p.acnes is anaerobic - it cannot live in an oxygenated environment. So BP works by killing the bacteria. Too much oxygen into the pores is not good for your skin either (I don't know why), but that is why higher concentrations can cause irritation. BP alone does not help you shed dead skin layers, from the inside or out. It just kills the bacteria. 

Salicylic acid helps you shed your dead skin cells, so it's not as easy for your pores to get clogged. Salicylic can go deep into pores, and help shed deeper layers of dead skin. 

Glycolic acid helps you shed dead skin cells closer to the surface, so you outside skin doesn't look dull and fine lines do not look exaggerated. 

So...surface-ish acne, whiteheads...try glycolic first. Deep, under-skin bumps, use salicylic. Inflamed, infected cystic acne, BP and salicylic. 

If 2.5% BP is too strong, try a lower strength. Or maybe try a wash and not something you keep on your skin. If you don't have a problem with the acne bacteria...then you don't really have a reason to use BP. 

As for me, I have tough skin. I slather on 5% all over my face each night, and I don't experience side effects. Then again, I can use a 30% salicylic acid peel and only turn a little pink for about an hour....You just have to find out what works for your skin. 

I actually use salicylic acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid and have in the past used benzoyl peroxide, and am aware of how they work. Which is why I use them all, for different purposes. I also mix some of my own custom products, especially moisturizers, masks and spot treatments, using these acids. I personally would never use benzoyl peroxide on my skin again as long as I live. If I want to kill bacteria, I use oregano essential oil, diluted as it's extremely strong, or pure lavender oil - straight - directly on the skin. Benzoyl peroxide really damaged my skin when I was younger. Thankfully I educated myself regarding the use of herbs, hydrosols and other 'natural' substances to heal my own skin, which I still use to this day when necessary.

Thanks so much for the advice. I have tried glycolic acid years ago and I was getting alpha beta peels at a salon on a weekly basis which was a combination of 40% glycolic and 40% salicylic. Along with these peels I was using the md formulations product range which also contains glycolic. They are so expensive though. I stopped using them and getting the peels as I could no longer afford to continue using them. My skin was completely cleared of acne then but once I stopped the acne is back and it has been a constant battle with my skin since then. Do you know of any glycolic products that are affordable and effective?

Originally Posted by mebs786 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much for the advice. I have tried glycolic acid years ago and I was getting alpha beta peels at a salon on a weekly basis which was a combination of 40% glycolic and 40% salicylic. Along with these peels I was using the md formulations product range which also contains glycolic. They are so expensive though. I stopped using them and getting the peels as I could no longer afford to continue using them. My skin was completely cleared of acne then but once I stopped the acne is back and it has been a constant battle with my skin since then.

Do you know of any glycolic products that are affordable and effective?
I buy 30% salicylic and 70% glycolic (but dilute it) from a seller called "skinbeautysolution"  but there are many other vendors too. It's cheaper than the Dr.DenniGross packages at Sephora (which I also use, but not as often because they are so expensive). 1oz bottles will run about $15-20, but last almost a year. I haven't had any problems with the product or packaging from this vendor. If eBay worries you, the acids are also available on amazon as well. I just apply the solution with a $1 e.l.f. synthetic foundation brush, and neturalize with pure baking soda mixed with a little water....just like a little scrub. 

Sorry, but I totally disagree. DO NOT scrub your face with ANYTHING after any type of chemical peel. Not even baking soda. The mere thought of that makes me shudder. I also get some of my acids online. Specifically from Amazon. 30% salicylic acid from the company Skin Laboratory. I buy my glycolic and lactic acids - around 90% - from a local supplier, but they're also available online. I know Skin Laboratory's products are good, so I'd stick with them for acids. The one supplier that I made the mistake of buying from on Amazon called Skin Obsession had a horrible 'anti breakout' mix which was absolutely nasty. It was mainly alcohol mixed with a little bit of the acids. Total garbage. That stuff will dry your skin out & irritate it like crazy. I'd personally suggest - instead of baking soda - just keep flushing your face with cool water over and over again until the tingling from the acids stop. Dont exfoliate at all after doing a peel. Some people don't use moisturizer after and just wait for their frosted skin to peel. I personally apply hyaluronic acid right after so my face doesn't feel like it's going to split open. It still winds up peeling but it's a lot less uncomfortable. Somebody else posted a detailed 'article', with photos, of how she does her peels and what to expect. I'd suggest doing some serious research if you haven't done a peel yourself. I know you've *had* them done but that's a lot different than mixing your own acids yourself, applying the mixture etc.

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I buy 30% salicylic and 70% glycolic (but dilute it) from a seller called "skinbeautysolution"  but there are many other vendors too. It's cheaper than the Dr.DenniGross packages at Sephora (which I also use, but not as often because they are so expensive). 1oz bottles will run about $15-20, but last almost a year. I haven't had any problems with the product or packaging from this vendor. If eBay worries you, the acids are also available on amazon as well. I just apply the solution with a $1 e.l.f. synthetic foundation brush, and neturalize with pure baking soda mixed with a little water....just like a little scrub. 
Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I will check out skinbeautysolution and also ebay. I was checking out bravura london's website. They also do peels.

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but I totally disagree. DO NOT scrub your face with ANYTHING after any type of chemical peel. Not even baking soda. The mere thought of that makes me shudder.

I also get some of my acids online. Specifically from Amazon. 30% salicylic acid from the company Skin Laboratory. I buy my glycolic and lactic acids - around 90% - from a local supplier, but they're also available online. I know Skin Laboratory's products are good, so I'd stick with them for acids. The one supplier that I made the mistake of buying from on Amazon called Skin Obsession had a horrible 'anti breakout' mix which was absolutely nasty. It was mainly alcohol mixed with a little bit of the acids. Total garbage. That stuff will dry your skin out & irritate it like crazy.

I'd personally suggest - instead of baking soda - just keep flushing your face with cool water over and over again until the tingling from the acids stop. Dont exfoliate at all after doing a peel. Some people don't use moisturizer after and just wait for their frosted skin to peel. I personally apply hyaluronic acid right after so my face doesn't feel like it's going to split open. It still winds up peeling but it's a lot less uncomfortable. Somebody else posted a detailed 'article', with photos, of how she does her peels and what to expect. I'd suggest doing some serious research if you haven't done a peel yourself. I know you've *had* them done but that's a lot different than mixing your own acids yourself, applying the mixture etc.
Thanks for the advice. The salon where I got my peels from told me about using baking soda mixed with water to neutralise the peel. She would always use a neutraliser at the end of every peel. She said using plain water will keep activating the glycolic peel which is not good as it should not be on longer than the recommended time. Splashing with water will keep activating the glycolic to continue working. You can buy neutralisers or use baking soda mixed with water which does the same thing as the neutralisers.

Latest posts

Back