Best flat iron to use?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use cheap Treseme straighteners and they do the job fine. They are getting rather old now though so I'd like to save up and buy a decent pair. I'll have a look into the ones you guys have mentioned
smile.gif

I swear by my chi! It was expensive but it was more then worth it! I use to use so many straightener but just none of them did it for me. My hair is so thick.

I have Nicky Clarke straighteners, they really work amazingly on my hair, and only cost me £20 in the sales

I have a Paul Mitchell one, that has green plates. I think I paid about $90 for it at a salon and its absolutely amazing.

I have big, wavy, frizzy hair and it makes it so shiny and straight. (and thinner it seems, thank god!)

I have the babyliss one, works pretty good, but after a while, it seems like it doesnt heat up as good as it use to. maybe i should let it heat up longer?

Originally Posted by girly_girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have bought lots of straightners from hot tools, conair, remmington, and others. my favorite of all times is my jilbere deparis tourmaline series from sally's. It cost 60.00 and during the time you got a free fold up jilbere blow dryer. I never use the blow dryer because I just got the conair infinity 1875, but the flat iron is excellent!! If it ever quits working i'm going to get a Paul Mitchelle. Update: Well my jilbere got to where it was pulling my hair so I went and bought a CHI by farouk. I've only used it 2-3 times and so far I like it. When My hair grows out more I will like it better. I plan to by a sedu next since I heard so many reviews on it. I gave $125.00 for my Chi so I could have got a Sedu....now i'm kicking myself!

I am a hair stylist and I have a FHI 1inch ceramic variable temp iron. I have had this thing for 5 years! Which is a long time when doing hair. I love it! I've used the other Stylist's CHI irons and mine is so much better. I'm due to buy another one and will only get the FHI brand. Amazon and folica.com have them. But amazon is cheaper, about 89.99

All the suggestions are wonderful
smile.gif

Does anyone know any that are good for minimal heat damage? I have hair that gets damaged easily and don't want to fry it too much.

Make sure you're using a good heat protectant. I really recommend Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide. It smells really good and works wonders. It actually makes my hair really soft too
smile.gif
FYI I use a pump when my hair is wet before blow drying or air drying, and a pump before straightening.

I use Solia, and i think its pretty good

but i've tried my friend's chi and i like it a lot more

i have Helen Of Troy and it works wonders ! i have really thick curly frizzy hair and it makes it super straight. i had other types and they just didnt work and took hours to straighten my hair but the Helen Of Troy straightener straightens my hair in about a half hour compared to 2

I bought an Andes straightener from walmart and believe it or not, it actually works just as great as a chi....not to mention it costs under $20.00...it gets extremely hot too with adjustable settings
rockwoot.gif
try it, you'll love it!!! And hey, if you don't walmart will ALWAYS take it back, lol

LOL Well, okay.. so dont I feel like a dope, I have a cheesy cheap o straightener.

Someone gave me a CIRCA 4 or 5 years ago and it still works perfectly fine
smile.gif
Also, I bought a SEDU a couple of months back and it works great and fast.

just signed up looking for advice on the same thing
smile.gif

I'm looking to buy a new flat iron (mine still works but I have the chance to buy a new one due to a christmas gift certificate) and I'm leaning toward the traditional (1-1 1/2 inch ceramic plate) but I've noticed these 'wet to dry' straightners out there that supposidly 'dry' the hair (with steam) while it straightens.

Do these actually work? Does it dry AND straighten to a silky texture? Does it cut down on the styling (I blow dry first with a large round brush than straighten)?

I just can't imagine it would work well and had to find out from some 'advanced' peeps on the subject
wink.gif

Hmm... I have one, a Remington Wet 2 Straight straightener. It's nice because it has 30 heat settings, and it tells you which settings to use based on your hair type and how wet it is. However, my hair is wavy and a little thick/coarse, and I have a hard time getting it dry and straight unless I go over each section a few times. Might work best on towel-dried hair. It probably cuts down on styling time, but is it worse for your hair? I don't know. It makes a loud hissing sound when it releases the water as steam, which is kinda weird, LOL.

I'm also curious about others' experiences with them, though.

Back