Best Primer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All!

As an aspiring MUA I am just starting to really build my kit, one piece at a time. What is your recommendations for the best primers out there?

I am more focused on special events (i.e. weddings) so the longer the staying power, the better.

Apologize in advance if this was asked before.

Thanks all!

Sandy

If you are using silicone-based airbrush makeup, NO primer is best.  Absolutely spotless skin, no moisturizer, no primer, no toner. This is a must.Primers tend to interfere with silicone makeup's ability to adhere to the outer layer of the skin, and that goes for traditional makeup too, in my opinion.

I honestly believe that the whole primer "revolution" is a marketing ploy to get us to buy yet another layer of goop to put on our faces. If a client needs filling, a silicone filler can be used.You really don't need a primer except for mothers and grandmother of the bride types. The MAC line filler is great for that, or if that's too spendy, the L'Oreal pink primers in the little pot are almost just as good at smoothing out the little undereye lines before appyling foundation. If a client needs color correction, go for it. Otherwise, your foundation of choice should be able to do its job on its own, If it cannot, you need to choose another foundation. 

The key to long-lasting bridal makeup is not to add more layers, but to add as few as possible: the less makeup there is, the less there is to slide off in a greasy sheet as the bride dances, etc. 

That being said, if you feel you absolutely MUST have a primer, I would suggest trying one of the more acidic primers out there for your normal skinned clients, like Dinair's one for oily skin (it does not dry out skin) or Bare Minerals Prime Time, rather than one of the silicone primers, at least for all-over use. 

If you're building your kit, the key is to buy less, as you seem to be doing.  Good luck to you!

DHC Velvet Skin Coat! It stays put and keeps my skin from getting oily. It also makes my skin so, so soft and doesn't interfere with makeup application.

Oh I'd forgotten about DHC's Velvet Skin Coat--it's really nice. Much lighter than the others on the market. I DO like that one. Nice!

I have tons of primer samples and full sized pawned off on me from various makeup companies, as well as monistat, which is basically just straight up silicone.  

To be honest, I don't notice any difference, and any difference I do notice is usually not a positive difference.  In my experience, strongly silicone based primers and mineral makeup do not get along at all.  

I've had the best results from not using a humectant moisturizer, and restricting those types of moisturizers to nighttime.  Gossmakeupartist on youtube once said that primers should be like-based to foundations (eg silicone primer + silicone foundation; water based primer + water-based foundation, etc) But my experience is that any humectant (beeswax, glycerine) has disastrous results.  

Maybe if the make-up was waterproof this wouldn't be so...but humectants essentially bring every water molecule in the atmosphere to your face.

I can't tell you what's best, but I can tell you what IMO is the worst: Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer. I bought it because I absolutely adore the Photoready translucent powder, but it was just awful! It made me oily and caused my foundation to oxidize and turn me orange which is a feat since I'm of a darker skin tone with very yellow undertones!

I like Revlon Photo Ready Perfecting Primer on my eyelids and Mary Kay Foundation Primer on my faces. 

Latest posts

Back