Best product to wear under foundation to solve multiple skin problems?

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I am getting confused about the differences between foundation primers, mattifiers and pore minimizers. My overall objectives are as follows: Eliminate oily shine and makeup sliding off my face by mid-day, make pores look smaller or non-existent, allow foundation to go on easier/smoother and appear more natural, correct any pigment differences. I know I am probably looking for a non-existent miracle product but maybe you guys have a solution, even if it involves combining one or more "underneath type" products. Here's my list of trial products to date: Paula Dorf's foundation primer for normal to oily skin (yuck), Sally Hansen Cornsilk mattifier (yeah on the oil control but doesn't make foundation go on any smoother), Physicians Formula green corrector lotion (yeah on toning down pigment differences but w/out a primer underneath, green lotion clogs up in my pores and it shows through makeup), Smashbox Photo Finish Primer/Mattifier (not sure if I like this - I feel oily and dewy and that drives me insane & it does not minimize my pores at all). I've also used a combination of the aforementioned products and I still feel slimy by the noon hour. I know....it sounds like I am obsessive compulsive with regard to oily skin and I suppose I am, just be glad I don't have acne anymore or I'd really be crazy. I hate feeling oily - it drives me nuts because during the day I cannot just run and wash my face and reapply makeup - it has to last in 100% humidity and 95 degree heat. Besides recommending a good psychiatrist, any ideas about a solution to my makeup and skin woes?

 
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
I second this post - someone please give some advice. My skin has tripled in oiliness since I stopped taking birth control, and I've been having some success with clearning up the resulting acne with a Retin-A perscription, but the oil drives me nuts. Within a couple hours of washing my face, it feels sopping wet. I use Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer daily and it used to be my godsave for balancing the dry and oily spots while still on the BC pill, but now it doesn't seem to help much (it doesn't make me feel more oily at least). I've also tried the Neutrogena tinted moisurizer with SPF 15, but this DOES make my skin feel more oily, however, I need to have some sort of sunscreen daily because of the Retin-A.

Im trying to find something that I can wear for my wedding under the Origins foundation I love (my special occasion only foundation), but don't know if I need a primer, a mattifier, a moisturizer, a pore minimizer, or what!

 
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
5,626
Reaction score
2
Well Gals I hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but I haven't found a primer that works either. I have tried the following....

Smashbox PhotoFinish Primer- Felt greasy and made my makeup seperate.

Laura Mercier Primer- Didn't do anything??? Felt dry.

Dr. Feelgood- I don't like the smell

DHC Velvet Skin Coat- My favorite so far, but it clogs my pores.

I can't think of all the others??? Right now I just use moisturizer and then foundation. Let me know if you find something!

 
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I am still on this "mission" as well. Thus far, I have tried Smashbox Photo Finish primer/mattifier (although I didn't quite get the "mattifier aspect" of this product), Paula Dorf foundation primer for oily skin (nope - waxy, oily), Physicians Formula green corrector/primer location (not really a mattifier), Estee Lauder Idealist skin perfector, numerous foundations (can't even list them all), Bobbi Brown's green tea extract oil control gel, Matis Sebo Regulatrice oil control serum and oil control gel (and I may end up going back to these two also) and Sally Hansen's Cornsilk Zero Shine Invisible Mattifier. So far, of all the expensive, special order products I've purchased tried, returned or tossed in a drawer, the only one that even puts a dent in my oil production is the least expensive, you guessed it, the Sally Hansen Cornsilk that I bought at Wal-Mart for less than $6. I've used the Matis line for about three years and actually am considering going back to those products AND adding a layer of the Sally Hansen on top of it. I am so frustrated with the oily skin, the large pores and the foundations that simply do not do a single thing for me. I'm so agitated by mid-day that I even apply the Sally Hansen on top of the oily makeup mess on my face. I don't have the acne anymore, just the oil and the large pores. By noon, most foundations have melted off of my face and the only remnants are the little pockets of makeup that remain trapped in my large pores. And heaven forbid if I have one of my random hot flashes, everything but my waterproof mascara evaporates. I will let you know how the Matis and the Sally Hansen interact.

Originally Posted by Ayacalypso I second this post - someone please give some advice. My skin has tripled in oiliness since I stopped taking birth control, and I've been having some success with clearning up the resulting acne with a Retin-A perscription, but the oil drives me nuts. Within a couple hours of washing my face, it feels sopping wet. I use Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer daily and it used to be my godsave for balancing the dry and oily spots while still on the BC pill, but now it doesn't seem to help much (it doesn't make me feel more oily at least). I've also tried the Neutrogena tinted moisurizer with SPF 15, but this DOES make my skin feel more oily, however, I need to have some sort of sunscreen daily because of the Retin-A.

Im trying to find something that I can wear for my wedding under the Origins foundation I love (my special occasion only foundation), but don't know if I need a primer, a mattifier, a moisturizer, a pore minimizer, or what!

 
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
i think philosophy the present clear primer may be exactly what you are looking for.

it doesn't break out my skin @ all, in fact it actually has improved my complexion. it also moisturizes (but does not look oily on my combo/oily skin) & dries very quickly. it keeps makeup on ALL day, even in florida's hot & humid weather. it really gives me a nice, smooth canvas to put makeup on.

 
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
22,240
Reaction score
1
i hate clinique, but their pore minimizer instant perfector is so good. i know lots of people that use it. it minimizes oils, but not completely, but it won't kill you to blot a few times a day


 
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
2,255
Reaction score
1
There are some new products of the market that contain Silicon which is used to smooth the skin and prime the face for makeup. I am sure Smashbox has something similar. Try looking on QVC as often they sell specialist products as well as popular makes.

Perhaps you might like to think about trying out some of the mineral makeup that's available. I don't want to add another tiem to your shopping list, but ive heard that mineral makeup is good for acne prone skin and its supposed to be good for making the skin apprear smooth. I am thinking of trying it myself. Good Luck in your search.

 
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I cannot honestly recommend silicone based primers for oily skin with large pores. Those that I've tried in recent months have only served to exacerbate my "sebum issues". Also, for oily skin I do not recommend the I.D. Bare Minerals powder foundation. The oil and the minerals in the powder foundation frequently combine to create peculiar colors after the product has been on the skin for some time. I don't know about acne, but I can say that the mineral foundations and silicone based primers that I've purchased from Sephora have all been returned for full credit. Actually some of the makeup artists with Sephora have advised me to steer clear of mineral-based makeups as they can frequently increase oil production. They are wonderfully easy to apply and look fantastically natural until they turn purple. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be using the Bare Minerals. I am going to give the Clinique pore products that someone else recommended today a shot. I'll let you know how they work.

Originally Posted by Pauline There are some new products of the market that contain Silicon which is used to smooth the skin and prime the face for makeup. I am sure Smashbox has something similar. Try looking on QVC as often they sell specialist products as well as popular makes. Perhaps you might like to think about trying out some of the mineral makeup that's available. I don't want to add another tiem to your shopping list, but ive heard that mineral makeup is good for acne prone skin and its supposed to be good for making the skin apprear smooth. I am thinking of trying it myself. Good Luck in your search.

 
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,873
Reaction score
0
Has anyone tried "Clean Slate" by Tarte? I got it at Sephora, and I really like it!


 
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by PinkRibbons Has anyone tried "Clean Slate" by Tarte? I got it at Sephora, and I really like it!
i tried it and found that my makeup didnt last very long.
the best 2 primers i have ever used are english ideas perfect primer & philosophy the present clear.
 
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Yesterday one of you guys recommended that I try the Clinique pore "help" products so I went and purchased two of them (got the free gift too). I must say, my foundation went on so smooth and evenly. The day is still early so we'll see how I look around noon, but my skin feels great and I'm not oily (yet). Hey, why does Clinique get such a bad wrap anyway? I use the Clinique scrub and the Emergency Mask and also the Like Minx dual eyeshadow combo. I was just curious why so many people don't like Clinique.

Originally Posted by kimes i tried it and found that my makeup didnt last very long.
the best 2 primers i have ever used are english ideas perfect primer & philosophy the present clear.
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by southerngal Hey, why does Clinique get such a bad wrap anyway? I was just curious why so many people don't like Clinique. i've never used anything from clinique, so i have no opinion on their products, but i was responding to pinkribbons, saying i wasn't a fan of tarte clean slate. just making sure you didn't think i was another clinique hater.
 

Latest posts

Top